• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Receiving

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have recently become absolutely fascinated by pitch receiving. I love watching what the catcher does. Everything about it is so subtle, but it's such a big impact on the game.

Jonathan Lucroy is exceptional at receiving pitches. He uses his body, just slightly shifting toward the zone, catches the ball quietly, and any motion of the glove back to the zone is quick and subtle.

LucroyFrame.gif.opt_.gif

Here is Lucroy talking about it.

Diamond Demo: Lucroy's catching | MLB.com

And here's an article discussing trying to quantify the value of framing.

Jonathan Lucroy, Catcher Framing, and the NL MVP | FanGraphs Baseball

Mike Zunino and Christian Vazquez are a couple rookies who do it well. Below is Vazquez, who uses incredible quickness rather than quietness (like Lucroy) to frame his pitches.

VazquezLeft.gif

On the other hand, a bad framer can cost his pitcher strikes, especially on the bottom of the zone. This is especially problematic for sinkerballers. Adrian Nieto has demonstrated himself as an awful framer, contributing to the worst strike zone of 2014 in a problematic start for White Sox pitcher (and hilarious human) Scott Carroll.

Investigating The Worst Strike Zone of 2014 | FanGraphs Baseball

carroll_two.gif

Notice how Nieto starts his glove in the middle of the zone, then dives it below the knees to catch the ball. That pitch was comfortably in the strike zone when it crossed the plate, but Nieto took it so far and so sharply down below the zone, the umpire called it a ball.

There are a number of examples in the article (in gif form) of Nieto framing terribly, including outright missing a ball.

In any case, since pitch receiving is aesthetically one of my favorite parts of baseball, I figured I'd start a thread on it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article is where I learned about Vazquez. I just sat and watched the gifs for half an hour after reading it.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article is where I learned about Vazquez. I just sat and watched the gifs for half an hour after reading it.

Yup. It's only been 26 games of course, so it's not the greatest sample size. But from what he's done in the majors so far, he's definitely lived up to scouting reports (defensively) so far. I do think he can have a respectable bat for a catcher, he has drawn his share of walks and the K% is respectable. The 18 HR he hit in 2011 were probably a fluke though. If he can do what Ryan Hanigan has (career 89 OPS+ and .354 OBP), I'll be pretty happy.

BoSox Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been real impressed with Vazquez (of course I am not watching everything now).

It has helped that he has caught a lot of his fellow PawSox Alumni.