• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Really stupid fishing question

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So true. And you don't really have to try too hard. We catch lots of trout and spot tails (reds). But you can also go after king mackerel or spanish mackerel or flounder, grouper, mahi, black sea bass, sheepshead, etc. And all you really need is a bottom rig (steel leader and lead) and a piece of shrimp or mullet or any cut bait to catch 'em.
Yeah, I caught a Spanish Mackerel and a Mahi Mahi last trip. Unfortunately we were in Mexico and really didn't have a way of keeping/cooking the fish so we just gave them to the boat crew.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. Black tips and lemon sharks eat pretty good. The only problem is catching one big enough to keep. They have to be 54".

Damn.

Do you ever go out with the intention of just catching sharks? Or is it a crap shoot in salt water.....ya never know what you'll get? (I honestly don't know a thing about saltwater except fly fishing in shallow water for peacock bass and Tarpon)

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn.

Do you ever go out with the intention of just catching sharks? Or is it a crap shoot in salt water.....ya never know what you'll get? (I honestly don't know a thing about saltwater except fly fishing in shallow water for peacock bass and Tarpon)
Yes, we absolutely will go out targeting sharks and for the most part that's what you'll catch. There will be an occasional fish that takes the bait, but for the most part you can target sharks fairly easy. Some of the other species like trout, flounder, and redfish are harder to narrow down, because all three will take the same baits, and live in the same sort of places.

The real crap shoot is bottom fishing reefs. "It's like a box of chocolates."