• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Really Dead

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll miss the guy - but this was done for long-term reasons.

Because our number one receiver (Smith) last year had 64 catches for just 745 yards. Like it or not, he didn't produce at his wage level, and he'll he's not getting any younger. Lafell had 49 catches for 627 yards. I don't think that production will be that difficult to replace.

i agree with some of what you said. but Smiths salary for the production he gave was pretty close to market value. remember Carolina only saved 2 mil by cutting him, so while it is being billed as long term success his contract wasnot really hurting us in anyway.

Smith at 34 is still faster than Cothery was coming out of college, if i remember right he only ran around a 4.6.

my biggest thing is that we have noone to stretch the field, none of these recievers are very explosive anymore so they are not going to seperate in tight coverage. Avant had been a decent reciever but he has always been a number 3 sometime number 2 and got alot of one on ones cause of Djax, and cotchery with a number one opposite him is a great signing but if noone emerges we may see alot of the nobody getting open like we did last year against Atlanta when Smith was out.

Underwood is basically the X factor to me. i dont really know what he will do, he didnt doo much his first few years then when he latched on with his ex college coach in Tampa he had a solid year last year, but he was playing in an offense he had alot of expierence in so im not too sure how much to play into that. lastly Tampa didnt really seem to even try to resign him. i mean they didnt exactly have a lot of weapons and they basically too a breakout player and dropped him, plus he didnt get alot of looks by anyone else either. soo like i said to me he is the x-factor

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our WR corps will be as/more effective as the past season.

I'll miss the guy - but this was done for long-term reasons.

Because our number one receiver (Smith) last year had 64 catches for just 745 yards. Like it or not, he didn't produce at his wage level, and he'll he's not getting any younger. Lafell had 49 catches for 627 yards. I don't think that production will be that difficult to replace.

i agree with some of what you said. but Smiths salary for the production he gave was pretty close to market value. remember Carolina only saved 2 mil by cutting him, so while it is being billed as long term success his contract wasnot really hurting us in anyway.
Again, my initial point was that we could at least replace the production that we had last year. Looking at the numbers, I don't think that's too far-fetched.
my biggest thing is that we have noone to stretch the field, none of these recievers are very explosive anymore so they are not going to seperate in tight coverage.
I agree, but Smith only averaged 11.6 last year, and was not as much a home run threat, as in the past. His long gain was 44 yards. In that regard, I'm actually more miffed at losing Ginn, who was developing into that kind of guy.
Avant had been a decent reciever but he has always been a number 3 sometime number 2 and got alot of one on ones cause of Djax, and cotchery with a number one opposite him is a great signing but if noone emerges we may see alot of the nobody getting open like we did last year against Atlanta when Smith was out.
The article Douggie posted had a lot of stuff on the topic (wideout):
Rivera created a stir Friday when he told USA Today the Panthers would be interested in DeSean Jackson, released by the Eagles on Friday amid reports he has ties to known gang members in Los Angeles. But multiple team sources said the Panthers, in fact, will not go after Jackson.

The Panthers could be content to wait until the May draft to find Smith’s successor. Draft experts believe there will be impact receivers available when the Panthers pick 28th.

When asked whether Cotchery was signed to be a No. 1 receiver, Rivera said he was signed to help develop the team’s young wideouts. Gettleman is hoping Marvin McNutt or Tavarres King turns into the next Victor Cruz.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, my initial point was that we could at least replace the production that we had last year. Looking at the numbers, I don't think that's too far-fetched.

I agree, but Smith only averaged 11.6 last year, and was not as much a home run threat, as in the past. His long gain was 44 yards. In that regard, I'm actually more miffed at losing Ginn, who was developing into that kind of guy.

The article Douggie posted had a lot of stuff on the topic (wideout):

the getting deep part I was referring to Ginn as Smith didn't have that kind of speed anymore...

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the getting deep part I was referring to Ginn as Smith didn't have that kind of speed anymore...

Look, I agree we need a game-breaker, but I don't think the Panthers were in a position where we can go too far downhill, wideout-wise, lol. Btw, there was some talk of Sidney Rice getting a look, but:

Sidney Rice could fit Carolina Panthers but only at a discount | CharlotteObserver.com

It had this in it, btw:

Then there’s the matter of the contract. According to the NFL Players Association database, the Panthers are third-to-last in the league in salary-cap room with $1.57 million remaining under the $133 million cap. Carolina will need roughly $4.5 million to sign its draft selections – one that’s deep at wide receiver – and the team still is exploring contract restructures with players currently on the roster.
:gaah:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, I agree we need a game-breaker, but I don't think the Panthers were in a position where we can go too far downhill, wideout-wise, lol. Btw, there was some talk of Sidney Rice getting a look, but:

Sidney Rice could fit Carolina Panthers but only at a discount | CharlotteObserver.com

It had this in it, btw:

:gaah:

Rice is too injury prone, and he resigned with the Seahawks. yea we had 26 FA after the season. Hardy took almost hlaf of what we had to spend but you still had 25 more bodies you needed to get lol

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on if the Panthers look to get Devin Street? All I know is he is a Pitt WR.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would faint if he is around. i think he will be gone top 20

He's got good speed. Some of the experts say he might struggle against press, getting off the line, because of his size.

I saw this article by Person a couple weeks back. Thought this part was interesting:

The Panthers have begun to replenish the wideout position, but the tight ends and running backs figure to be featured prominently in 2014 – as they were in Mike Shula’s first season as offensive coordinator.

Shula is said to want to use more “12” personnel this year – one back, two tight ends and two receivers.

Fourth-year quarterback Cam Newton seems most comfortable running two-tight end sets. During his rookie season, when he passed for 4,051 yards to break Peyton Manning’s rookie record (since broken by Andrew Luck), Newton had the luxury of throwing to two pass-catching tight ends in Olsen and Jeremy Shockey.
Let's face it - Olsen was our most dangerous receiving threat last year. And having the two TE's might help crank up the run game, if we can teams honest (and not stacking the box).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got good speed. Some of the experts say he might struggle against press, getting off the line, because of his size.

I saw this article by Person a couple weeks back. Thought this part was interesting:

Let's face it - Olsen was our most dangerous receiving threat last year. And having the two TE's might help crank up the run game, if we can teams honest (and not stacking the box).

well they have certainly signed enough of them to give it a try. problem last few years is we havent had personell to throw consistantly from the two TE formation. but it still leads to the outside, if nobody there to push the secondary back they will pack the middle and those TE's can find trouble getting open.

Olen is really good, but he cant stretch the field...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do however much prefer the 2 TE sets, i think they give you more flexability. but if you do that then what you gonna do with Tolbert?