• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ravens fans, are you still defending Flacco?

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
19 total TDs, 27 turnovers this season. I think its time to realize that you guys made a huge mistake. I knew it from the start, but you guys defended it. It really is sad that there are people that believe that if a QB wins a SB, he is automatically awesome and deserves top dollar and is elite. And don't feed me the,"Well, what else could they have done? That's what Flacco wanted, and they had no choice. It was either that or try to find a new QB, which isn't ideal." They did have a choice. They could've been honest with him and told him that he isn't worth that kind of money. Only a truly desperate team would've paid him that. And he would've realized that and stayed with the Ravens.

So what are you guys thinking now? Do you live with your mistake and let him eat up all that money?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco and the Ravens played a game of chicken. Flacco won with his play in the playoffs. The fact is had the Ravens not given him a huge deal, some other team would have. So the Ravens hands were forced. They had to give him the huge contract.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco and the Ravens played a game of chicken. Flacco won with his play in the playoffs. The fact is had the Ravens not given him a huge deal, some other team would have. So the Ravens hands were forced. They had to give him the huge contract.

The Browns, Jets, Bills, Titans, Jags, etc. All crap teams that Flacco probably wouldn't want to leave the Ravens for.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
19 total TDs, 27 turnovers this season. I think its time to realize that you guys made a huge mistake. I knew it from the start, but you guys defended it. It really is sad that there are people that believe that if a QB wins a SB, he is automatically awesome and deserves top dollar and is elite. And don't feed me the,"Well, what else could they have done? That's what Flacco wanted, and they had no choice. It was either that or try to find a new QB, which isn't ideal." They did have a choice. They could've been honest with him and told him that he isn't worth that kind of money. Only a truly desperate team would've paid him that. And he would've realized that and stayed with the Ravens.

So what are you guys thinking now? Do you live with your mistake and let him eat up all that money?

Terrible year, I watched the game yesterday and he was hurting, probably should've played.

To your point...as a AFCN foe, I don't think Joe is a superstar QB. He's had the support of a good DEF from his rookie year for the most part. But, he's played mistake free in the playoffs in general and played well
in the SB this past year...perfect storm for a FA to be...he was going to make $100 mil off that year.

This yr...he's the same guy, but the team around him is not the same...no, that doesn't give grounds for 27 ints or whatever, but you're taking 1 bad season and saying he's is a failure when it took him 4 pretty good seasons to make that big contract...he probably won't live up to a $100 mil contract unless he brings another SB, but I'm not thinking he's a bust off this year.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible year, I watched the game yesterday and he was hurting, probably should've played.

To your point...as a AFCN foe, I don't think Joe is a superstar QB. He's had the support of a good DEF from his rookie year for the most part. But, he's played mistake free in the playoffs in general and played well
in the SB this past year...perfect storm for a FA to be...he was going to make $100 mil off that year.

This yr...he's the same guy, but the team around him is not the same...no, that doesn't give grounds for 27 ints or whatever, but you're taking 1 bad season and saying he's is a failure when it took him 4 pretty good seasons to make that big contract...he probably won't live up to a $100 mil contract unless he brings another SB, but I'm not thinking he's a bust off this year.

128 TDs, 131 turnovers in his career. You sure that's pretty good? :noidea: I've never been a fan of paying anybody big money unless they truly deserve it. In this case, Flacco didn't. Yes, he got hot at the right time and played virtually perfect football in the playoffs last year, which caused this to happen. But the Ravens should've taken the rest of his career into account too.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns, Jets, Bills, Titans, Jags, etc. All crap teams that Flacco probably wouldn't want to leave the Ravens for.

Total speculation. If one of those teams had offered significantly more than the Ravens (and believe me, one of them would have offered him what he's getting now), he does what everyone else does and takes the money.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total speculation. If one of those teams had offered significantly more than the Ravens (and believe me, one of them would have offered him what he's getting now), he does what everyone else does and takes the money.

I understand what you're getting at, but I don't see why Flacco would want to be stuck with one of those bad franchises just to make more money.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
128 TDs, 131 turnovers in his career. You sure that's pretty good? :noidea: I've never been a fan of paying anybody big money unless they truly deserve it. In this case, Flacco didn't. Yes, he got hot at the right time and played virtually perfect football in the playoffs last year, which caused this to happen. But the Ravens should've taken the rest of his career into account too.

Good point, but he's been good in the playoffs.

Is Joe Flacco overpaid...yes. But, again he was going to be overpaid somewhere, it's just the market is what I'm saying. Romo may put up better #s, but I'd take Flacco in the playoffs. Ryan, same thing. Both of those guys are overpaid, the Rams QB is overpaid, Stafford, Eli...he's not the only one.

In '16 is when BAL is going to really feel the cap pinch on Flacco's contract, (smart to push the big hit out that far as the cap is expected to increase more than it has in recent years)...at that point he'll be owed roughly $27 mil in bonus money if cut. So I'm sure they hope he's playing better by then.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe reminds me of Ben and Eli. They can be so so in reg season, but they seem to step up their games in playoffs. All 3 I believe went on road for each game, before winning a SB. Those guys have accounted for 5 Lombardi's in last 10 years or so. I wouldnt dump on a guy who makes it happen when it counts. Flacco was awesome last year through entire playoff run

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you're getting at, but I don't see why Flacco would want to be stuck with one of those bad franchises just to make more money.

It depends on the player. You could have said the same thing about Robinson Cano. Why would he leave the Yankees for a team like the Mariners?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The is average or good at best. Like you said he had a hotstreak and a few lucky plays to get him that ring.

Overall, he is not worth that money. That is proven throughout his career.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on the player. You could have said the same thing about Robinson Cano. Why would he leave the Yankees for a team like the Mariners?

True. Once you have SB ring, $$ is more important to some or many. It depends on the player, if they feel like that is fulfilling enough they will go after the money first.

IMO...Flacco has exceeded what I thought he could do. Win a SB. So yah run after the big money and he will probably be like a Josh Hamiliton. Fall apart and still get paid.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to him going to those bad teams...pretty sure most players would follow the money. A player is never guaranteed another contract in the NFL so it makes sense for him to make the money he can now and as some have said somebody would have paid him top dollar.

I think almost everyone (outside of Baltimore of course) knew this was not the greatest signing for the Ravens but not sure what else they were supposed to do. The quarterback draft was weak, FA was weak, and there is no guarantee that you will get another starting caliber quarterback who plays decent in the playoffs again.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wins in the playoffs, those stats go away, and he is worth the money...

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It wasn't just last years, look at the playoffs since he became their starter. That was taken into account also when givin' that contract.

Plus having never missed a start in 93 career opportunities (includes playoffs) didn't hurt his bargaining chips.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing is that with Flacco taking the Lion's share of the available money, it is quite likely that the Ravens will end up as bad as some of those franchises because they can't afford any other talent. He won the SB and then got paid...at the expense of his own team, is that his fault? Hell no, I would take the money too.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is that with Flacco taking the Lion's share of the available money, it is quite likely that the Ravens will end up as bad as some of those franchises because they can't afford any other talent. He won the SB and then got paid...at the expense of his own team, is that his fault? Hell no, I would take the money too.

That can be said about every QB making $100 mil...no dog in this for me, but if you understand the Flacco deal...it's quite cap friendly for '13 thru '15...so the big cap hit doesn't come into play until in '16, after the expected cap bump. If Flacco is still performing well, you will see them restructure his deal in '16 if they need to. If he's not and they have to release him, then they will pay a heavy price.