• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rant on the Pelini crap

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been holding this in for a few weeks and I need to get it out.

When all of this crap happened with the "media backout" it started a complete frenzy with the media and a large group of fans about how Pelini is acting towards the media. The media got all butt hurt that they weren't able to do their job and Pelini keeps acting rude to them with such short answers. Some media members said that he needs to grow up and just act nice for a few minutes on the days that he talks to the media. Some media members would see how other coaches across the country handle the media and try to compare it. Like sarcastically talking about how someone like Randy Shannon from Miami talks to the media everyday after practice and had almost the same record as Pelini last year and wondered how that was possible. I know it was sarcasm but does that mean that every coach is supposed to act the same way? If that was the case then it would be pretty boring and pretty hard to change people like Saban, Urban, Stoops, Pelini, and others.

Then there were a large group of fans that jumped on the media whine fest and started talking about how Pelini's "act" was getting old considering he hasn't won anything of consequence yet and he needs to grow up.

I just don't get it. Nebraska fired Callahan 3 years ago. A coach that was hated because he couldn't coach and he was an emotionally nonexistant. Then we had a coaching search and almost everyone wanted Pelini to come back. As most of you from Disney know I was not in complete favor of bringing Pelini back, so for me to be defending him in this is not just out of blind fandom. But what were the reasons people wanted Pelini back? GREAT defensive coach and that is what needed to be fixed. He knew the landscape of Nebraska football even if it was for just one year. But most importantly for most people was that he was a fiery coach that could motivate and didn't take any shit. Now all of a sudden that fire and attitude that people wanted him for is a bad thing and people don't like it just because he hasn't won back to back national titles in his first 2 years after taking over for the crap that was left for him?

Look, does he need to grow up and handle the media better in my opinion? Yeah he does. Does his one or 2 word answers get old? Yeah they do. When Sipple asks him "How has Zach been doing in practice", he probably doesn't need to respond by saying, "Zach who?". But we all knew what we were getting when he was hired so I am not going to get all pissed off about Pelini doing something that we should all do and that is be ourselves and not be fake.

I understand the media has a job to do but that isn't Pelini's problem in my opinion. At the same time Pelini doesn't need to get pissed off at the media for trying to do their job when he knows he is making it difficult for them. It has to be a give and take on both sides and right now neither side understands it.

Sorry for this being so long and probably rambling but I had to get this off my chest.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. the media whined like nothing other, and I don't even blame Pelini for how he handled it.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have absoulutely NO PROBLEM with the way pelini treetts the media... they are all still have jobs... And there is usually 20 new articles out almost daily......

I never post on husker extra... I did post when sipple wrote his whine column...

I said.. " sipple sounds like this" and posted a link to the herbsteiet is a whiny lil girl vid.....

Nebraska885

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with they way he handled the media. It's my understand that most other schools have their practices closed to the media and only address them once a week, if at that. The media crossed the line by calling Fischer's folks while he was on the operating table. They get a big 'no class' in my book. Pelini's trying to protect his players and gives the media a healthy time out as a lesson. Can he have a better bed side manner? Probably. As far as his one or two word answers, maybe the media shouldn't try to keep asking the same stupid questions. How many different ways can they ask 'where was Taylor on Thursday?' before they realize he's not going to answer.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to the media it was only one media member from channel 3 in Omaha that called Fischer's parents. There were lots of media people that criticized them for doing that.

Most schools close practice to the media but handle talking to them differently. In Iowa the coaches talk everyday but the players can not. Obviously in Miami he talks everyday. Nebraska is now 3 times a week and players on request as long as they have actually played in a game. Everyone is different and there is nothing wrong that.

I didn't go on a vacation on purpose. I just didn't have much to say. I still checked the board out on a consistent basis but wasn't compelled to add anything.

HuskerResurrected

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the media can suck a big one.

Pelini handled it perfect and it showed his loyalty to his players. The media needs to realize they are NOT apart of the team and Pelini puts his players above all else. IMO I bet the players gained even more respect for their head coach after this incident. This whole thing was good for Pelini and the team. The media can F-Off.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the media can suck a big one.

Pelini handled it perfect and it showed his loyalty to his players. The media needs to realize they are NOT apart of the team and Pelini puts his players above all else. IMO I bet the players gained even more respect for their head coach after this incident. This whole thing was good for Pelini and the team. The media can F-Off.

REP

Huskers370z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bo can do what he wants its his team. I love seeing the emotion he brings to every game. Some people say they hate seeing him get mad it makes nebraska look bad. I think its the opposite i think it makes him one of the more unique coaches out there

Huskers370z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bo can do what he wants its his team. I love seeing the emotion he brings to every game. Some people say they hate seeing him get mad it makes nebraska look bad. I think its the opposite i think it makes him one of the more unique coaches out there

HuskerResurrected

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That fire has been missing since Osborne years...Many might say Osborne was not a firey type coach, I beg to differ. That man loved to win and winning was in his blood, he may be a calm speaker to the public, but I guarantee you in that locker room; before a game, at halftime and during practice that man spoke with determination in his voice. He might not have been as animated as Pelini, but make no mistake about it, Osborne has just as much fire in him that Pelini has......To us fans we just didn't see it...But it was there, the players saw it and it translated into wins.

Once Bo wins his first title here everyone who dislikes his animated antics on the sidelines will shut up.

HuskerResurrected

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That fire has been missing since Osborne years...Many might say Osborne was not a firey type coach, I beg to differ. That man loved to win and winning was in his blood, he may be a calm speaker to the public, but I guarantee you in that locker room; before a game, at halftime and during practice that man spoke with determination in his voice. He might not have been as animated as Pelini, but make no mistake about it, Osborne has just as much fire in him that Pelini has......To us fans we just didn't see it...But it was there, the players saw it and it translated into wins.

Once Bo wins his first title here everyone who dislikes his animated antics on the sidelines will shut up.

landon410

In the deed the glory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
who gives a shit about the media block out?

there are cetain rules in place and they broke them....

i havent heard a thing negative about how it was handled

there are always people who have to say negative things, but fuck'em
this is nebraska football, we have rules, you dont like the rules, get the fuck out
media included

this consistency should be praised

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's important to Pelini is that his players concentrate and execute. He wants their full attention.
The media is in competition for ratings and can become a distraction if allowed.
Osborne despised talking to the media as well.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good read there Jed

I'm a bit removed from Nebraska to hear what most fans have to say about it there but I didn't give two shits about the little block out when I read about it. Bo could probably stand to be slightly more professional when addressing the media sometimes but it's certainly not overboard by any means. I can absolutely see why he would get pissed about some press guy calling a players family at home to inquire about an injury, and also the little dick that got lippy with him about TMart being absent from practice.

His first obligation is to his players and the families of the players. Then to the fans. All I care about is winning, as long as we do that I don't care If I ever hear anything from a guy whose job it is to hold a microphone. However, if we regress back to losing then I can see where this would become a huge issue.

He's still a young coach and has much to learn about all that comes with that HC position, most of which goes far beyond just winning or losing. Being a hard ass is part of the job description, being a media whore'n like M Brown is not, but he still has a public image to uphold for himself and NU. Probably a lot of our fans are impressionable little kids I'll bet, and still most or all have taken this better than the media apparently.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Bo you get what you see he doesn't hold if back any. Pelini is no politician he's up front, and true, tells it like he sees it. He's my type coach somebody that I would have love to play for.

The media is full of a lot of dumb shits and sometimes they need to let them know who's really in control. For the fans that don't like it grow up get over it we don't need to know it all and Bo isn't gonna change for anyone. If Bo gets run out of town due to his personality then Nebraska will be ripped in two. There will be a big rift b/w camps and this husker fan will let anyone know who didn't like Bo where they can go. A boot stuck sideways up there ass.