• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the NBA Rosters:If I was a GM- what roster would I pick-

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So- this just isnt what team i would rather have, or who is going to win the championship, or who has the best young players.

Its a combination of all those things. If I was a 45 year old long-time NBA assistant- and was just offered my first big job and could pick any ROSTER in the league- what would that look like?

1. Golden State Warriors- this was tough- 4 of the top 20 guys in the league- but their is uncertainty here for going forward with Durant and Curry both free agents- who even if both stay- will mean cutting back elsewhere. I almost dropped them to #2 behind the Cavs- but they just have too much talent- and Curry is younger than LeBron. ZERO payroll flexibility if they are to keep their 4 though.

2. Cleveland Cavaliers- they have LeBron- and a lot more certainty then the Warriors- but can only boast 2 of the top 20 players in the league in Irving and LeBron- and Love not too far behind. Love, Irving, Thompson, JR, Shumpert, Frye, LeBron are all signed to deals that extend through at least next year. Deals like Love's, Irving's and Thompson's are steals considering they are signed under the old cap. Irving is only 24 and Love is only 28, Thompson only 25. Absolutely no payroll flexibility.

3. San Antonio Spurs- the key here is Kawhi Leonard is signed long term and he is young and already one of the best in the entire league. This was a hard spot to choose as you could go a number of ways at #3. Alrdidge, Danny Green, are under contract. This was hard because after Leonard, Alrdidge and Green- long term they really dont have much- but Leonard is just that good. A good deal of payroll flexibility.

4. Milwaukee Bucks- 2 players- Giannis Antetekuompo and Jabari Parker. 2 guys that i think will be on the East all star team for years to come after this year. Add in Khris Middleton, Greg Monroe, Thon Maker....Is Giannis the best "super-young" player in the game- is he above Towns and Davis?-- if he is not- its close- and Jabari Parker makes up for the difference as i think he has shown a higher ceiling and more than Wiggins or Lavine or Hield. A great deal of payroll flexibility.

5. Minnesota Timberwolves.- a 12 win team 5th in this list?--- insane right? maybe- but with Towns, Wiggins, LaVine and Dunn- you have 4 guys who are under team control for the long term and all have ridiculous ceilings. Tons of payroll flexibility.

6. Houston Rockets- they have the most important thing- James Harden- an NBA MVP level player in his prime- with some talent around him. Capela looks like he could one day be a very good player. Eric gordon is playing like everyone expected after years of languishing in New Orleans where he never wanted to be and kept getting hurt. Anderson is an ideal stretch 4 shooting over 40% from 3.......Beverely and MCandiels are feisty role players. They have some payroll flexibility as well.

7. OKC Thunder--- Westbrook- and RW would look really bad if he left after saying everything about staying etc....I think he stays long term. Around him you have good young players signed long term like Oladipo, Adams, Kanter etc...not a lot of flexibility here.

8. Boston Celtics--- this might be the most fun job to pick as a GM considering all the assets- and they might be higher on this list considering they still get 2 more of the Nets picks (well one is a pick-swap but you know thats coming)- plus tons of other picks....they have a ton of very solid players- Crowder, Bradley, Thomas, Horford, Smart, ---- even the young uys- Rozier, Young and especially Brown have value.

9. La CLippers- they have Griffin, Paul and Jordan- taht should be good for maybe up to 3rd on this list if not for some uncertainty surrounding Paul and Griffin. If both resign- the Clippers shoot up to 3rd....if not-- who knows what they end up doing. Not much in terms of young players or developmental guys--- but they do have Redick (also a FA)....if you have those 4- you are great- but this is as high as i can rank them when they have so much uncertainty going forward

10. Toronto Raptors- they are down here for some of the same reasons as tthe Clippers--- DERozan is signed at a MASSIVE deal- Lowry is a free agent at the end of the season- can you pay those 2 combined almost 60 million dollars? Valunciunas, Ross are valuable secondary players...they have an extra first round pick and a couple interesting developmental players like Poetl, and Cabalco....they COULD make adeal for Milsap if they really wnated to- but do you want to go balls to the wall for the next 4 years with Milsap, Lowry and DeRozan as your big 3 as they all age?- Milsap and Lowry arent exactly young.

Part 2 to come. 11-20.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based solely on rosters, my top 10 would be:

1) Warriors - They have Klay and Draymond locked up. If they were only able to keep one of Steph/Durant due to the new CBA, they still are a perennial power house team with those three and ancillary players.

2) Cavs - For as long as Lebron is competing at his highest level, he's at worst a number 2 choice for roster.

3) Celtics - Too many good players and trade-able assets for a potential GM to pass up. If Ainge hadn't messed up some of his picks and instead tried to flip them for players, the Celtics could be a powerhouse team.

4) Rockets - Harden locked in with a solid support cast all on reasonable contracts and you have a team that has a good 3 year window to play at its peak. That's what you want as a GM.

5) Bucks - Giannis is locked up long term. Parker looks like another stud. Brogdon is really playing well. Middleton in the wings Hate the Henson, Plumlee and Monroe deals, but all of those guys are tradeable. Easy to see the upside here.

6) TWolves - So much upside here with the roster and so many directions you can build around. Solid foundation.

7) 76ers - Embiid looks like the real deal, and Simmons hasn't even step foot on the court. Add another solid draft and this team could be a real contender out of the East in 3 years.

8) Nuggets - They have a roster of just really good players. Lots of working pieces to trade and move players.

9) Thunder - RW and Adams are locked up long term. A few working pieces to add another player along side them. If they were able to package a few pieces to get Rudy Gay here, that would be awesome.

10) Spurs - Leonard is on a great deal. Aldridge is still very good. Outside of that they have an extremely old roster. Parker/Ginobili/Gasol/Lee are all on the down swing of their careers or will be very shortly.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had my pick...

1. 96-98 Bulls

2. 91-93 Bulls

3. 86-87 Lakers

4. 85-86 Celtics

5. 71-72 Lakers

But, to answer your question for Today's NBA:

1. Dubs

2. Cavs

3. Spurs

---------------Nobody else has a chance to win. So, I would go with youth and upside from this point on---------

4. Jazz

5. Wolves

6. Deer

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting thread.

If we are tanking the rosters, then GS, Cleveland and SA are the obvious top 3.

But, if I were a new GM taking over an already built roster, none of those would have been my first choice. Those rosters are already built, so the new GM would get 0 credit for success, but 100% of the blame if/when they decline.

The Celtics would be far and away my number 1 choice, because they have a good team along with some serious trade assets that could vault them to instant contender status if used correctly. The GM who makes that move would get the credit in that case, even though Ainge did the hard part.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, if I were a new GM taking over an already built roster, none of those would have been my first choice. Those rosters are already built, so the new GM would get 0 credit for success, but 100% of the blame if/when they decline.

The Celtics would be far and away my number 1 choice, because they have a good team along with some serious trade assets that could vault them to instant contender status if used correctly. The GM who makes that move would get the credit in that case, even though Ainge did the hard part.

That should say ranking by the way. Pretty awesome typo.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with the Cavs and SA not getting any credit, but the Warriors job would be really challenging for the new GM. With the new CBA its getting increasingly likely that the Warriors will have choose between just one of Steph and KD(it'll 100% be Steph). If that's the case, then you also have to make decisions on what to do with Livingston, Iguodala, Clark, McGee, Pachulia and West who will all be free agents next year. The Warriors will likely again be in for some massive turnover, and will have to rely on guys like Looney, McCaw and Jones to step up and contribute. The good news is that you still have Klay, Draymond and likely Steph. But after that the entire roster is up to you to build pretty much.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucks would be HIGH on my list.

Giannis and Jabari are going to be a nasty duo, both stars in the making, with a perfect role player in Malcolm Brogdon in place as well. They are a year or two of experience and one player away from being a title contender.

They should target Serge Ibaka in free agency this offseason.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics, Bucks, Wolves and Sixers, in that order. The fun is in building it. Plenty of assets to build on.

Reactions: GNG

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics, Bucks, Wolves and Sixers, in that order. The fun is in building it. Plenty of assets to build on.

I gotta see how Simmons fairs before I'd put the 76ers in that group. If he's legit and they get to add another top 5 pick this summer then I'd include them possibly depending on who they pick.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sting, Embid is the real friggin deal he is a freak and he has spirit he can eat teams up

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
problem with the Celtics is all thsoe assets dont guarantee that you get an Embiid or Towns or Giannis or Parker or Simmons etc.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sting, Embid is the real friggin deal he is a freak and he has spirit he can eat teams up
hes awesome....what kind of 22 year old big man can dominate like this?-- plus his shot is the real deal too...hes amazing...

him and Simmons together should be a lot of fun to watch. if they can get some good guards in their

imagine if they get something like the 3rd and 6th picks from their own and hte Lakers pick this year--- either use them or trade them for a PG/SG......

could be a team that comes around fast.....Philly has a bright future- a lot of people were ripping on their "process"---- now seeing Embiid- and with Simmons coming soon- and plenty of assets- Philly looks to be in great shape.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes awesome....what kind of 22 year old big man can dominate like this?-- plus his shot is the real deal too...hes amazing...

him and Simmons together should be a lot of fun to watch. if they can get some good guards in their

imagine if they get something like the 3rd and 6th picks from their own and hte Lakers pick this year--- either use them or trade them for a PG/SG......

could be a team that comes around fast.....Philly has a bright future- a lot of people were ripping on their "process"---- now seeing Embiid- and with Simmons coming soon- and plenty of assets- Philly looks to be in great shape.

Lonzo Ball.