• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Randy Johnson HOF as a Mariner?!

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L do I need to provide a link to his career stats again?
Randy Johnson - m.bbref.com

When you consider how close the stats are during those debatable years, don't forget about the difference in parks that those stats were produced. The Kingdome was much tougher to pitch in than Bank One Ballpark; imagine had he pitched at Safeco during the mid 90's?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you consider how close the stats are during those debatable years, don't forget about the difference in parks that those stats were produced. The Kingdome was much tougher to pitch in than Bank One Ballpark; imagine had he pitched at Safeco during the mid 90's?

I understand the ballpark in which you play in affects your stats but Bank One has never been considered pitcher friendly. Although in recent years it has been pretty fair for pitchers and hitters early on it was largely considered extreme hitter friendly and still carries that reputation today.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone is getting butt hurt its you. The first person to resort to personal attacks is usually admitting defeat. Stats and facts don't lie mi amigo.

ERA+, the ultimate stat in evaluating a pitcher's seasonal performance. It neutralizes environmental factors - you know about the environmental factor, right? That little factor that gives the DBacks stadium a huge advantage over the Kingdome?

top three years:
1997 - 197
2002 - 195
1995 - 193

The next four are all with Arizona, but two of the top three are with Seattle.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He accomplished more as a Diamondback, so he'll be going into the Hall of Fame as a Diamondback. As much as I hate that as a Mariners fan, you can't argue it. Why people insist on giving Diamondback fans crap for it, I don't understand.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He accomplished more as a Diamondback, so he'll be going into the Hall of Fame as a Diamondback. As much as I hate that as a Mariners fan, you can't argue it. Why people insist on giving Diamondback fans crap for it, I don't understand.

Who is giving Diamondback fans crap for getting Randy's cap? I've seen mostly debating going on regarding who's hat he should wear, not smack talking or tomfoolery. If you are talking about PolarVortex, he's just speaking in the only way he knows how. Telling them to hump a cactus is harmless and all in good fun! Shit, I live in AZ and may go hump a cactus if I have time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention a WS title, WS MVP, 4 straight CyYoungs, and a Perfect game all came in an AZ uniform. He most certainly had his best years in AZ.
I can't believe you are getting negs over this comment. I don't really have any strong feelings about who's cap he should sport on his bust, but when I think of the "Big Unit" I have visions of the desert.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to throw a new little wrinkle in this ridiculous debate (I say ridiculous because no one should really give a damn): this morning on Seattle sports radio talk radio show KJR, one of the morning hosts claimed that Randy Johnson sent out a tweet yesterday implying that he would be raising the 12th man flag soon.

Now we all know that the raising of the 12th man flag for the NFC championship game is reserved for Paul Allen, mainly because Paul is 2-0 when he raises the flag for the NFC championship game, and why mess with karma. So, the only other game that is 'soon' would be the game tomorrow night against Carolina.

Some more little tidbits:
- Randy Johnson was elected to the Mariner HOF in 2012. The DBacks have not put him in their Hall Of Fame
- Randy Johnson was asked to throw out the first pitch for the Mariners season opener in 2010, just three months after he announced his retirement. The DBacks to not give him such an honor until a year later.
- The DBacks have retired RJ's number (51). The Mariners have not retired his number because the number was also worn by Ichiro andIichiro is still an active player. When Ichiro retires, number #51 will also be retired to honor both RJ and Ichiro (although all good Mariner fans know the honor will primarily be for RJ).

To summarize, since he retired, the Mariners have made a much stronger effort to honor his legacy here than the DBacks have to honor his legacy there.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to throw a new little wrinkle in this ridiculous debate (I say ridiculous because no one should really give a damn): this morning on Seattle sports radio talk radio show KJR, one of the morning hosts claimed that Randy Johnson sent out a tweet yesterday implying that he would be raising the 12th man flag soon.

Now we all know that the raising of the 12th man flag for the NFC championship game is reserved for Paul Allen, mainly because Paul is 2-0 when he raises the flag for the NFC championship game, and why mess with karma. So, the only other game that is 'soon' would be the game tomorrow night against Carolina.

- Randy Johnson was elected to the Mariner HOF in 2012. The DBacks have not put him in their Hall Of Fame
- Randy Johnson was asked to throw out the first pitch for the Mariners season opener in 2010, just three months after he announced his retirement. The DBacks to not give him such an honor until a year later.
- The DBacks have retired RJ's number (51). The Mariners have not retired his number because the number was also worn by Ichiro andIichiro is still an active player. When Ichiro retires, number #51 will also be retired to honor both RJ and Ichiro (although all good Mariner fans know the honor will primarily be for RJ).

To summarize, since he retired, the Mariners have made a much stronger effort to honor his legacy here than the DBacks have to honor his legacy there.

Seriously? What does any of this have to do with what hat he will be wearing in the Hall?

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? What does any of this have to do with what hat he will be wearing in the Hall?

Everything. He became a star in Seattle. Not trying to downplay his accomplishments in AZ but I just think it should be Seattle.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His best years in AZ? No. His best MLB stop was in AZ, no arguement. But 2 of his 3 best years were in Seatttle in 95 and 97. You could argue, but you'd be wrong.

He threw 214 and 213 innings in 1995 and 1997 respectively....he had 2 seasons in Arizona where he threw 271 and 260 innings...were his numbers in Seattle in 1995/1997 that much better to make up for that much less innings? I wouldn't say so.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And Arizona just gave him a front office job...

Randy Johnson Joins Diamondbacks Front Office

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ERA+, the ultimate stat in evaluating a pitcher's seasonal performance. It neutralizes environmental factors - you know about the environmental factor, right? That little factor that gives the DBacks stadium a huge advantage over the Kingdome?

top three years:
1997 - 197
2002 - 195
1995 - 193

The next four are all with Arizona, but two of the top three are with Seattle.

And the context of it all is that both of those Mariner seasons were years he threw less than 215 innings (one of them was a strike year).

Is a 197 ERA+ in 213 innings definitively better than a 195 ERA+ in 260 innings?

We could also look at pitcher WAR, where 5 of RJ's 6 best seasons by WAR were with Arizona.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything. He became a star in Seattle. Not trying to downplay his accomplishments in AZ but I just think it should be Seattle.

He became a star in Seattle. I agree 100%. There is no arguing that fact.

However, he became a SUPERSTAR in Arizona.

If the decision were mine, he would be wearing an Arizona cap.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw him and the horse his mullet rode in on. I hope someday #51 is retired for ICHIRO and johnsons crap is thrown into the garbage and his Seattle records are all beaten and forgotten. And screw the hall for making people pick teams because it causes crap like this to happen.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw him and the horse his mullet rode in on. I hope someday #51 is retired for ICHIRO and johnsons crap is thrown into the garbage and his Seattle records are all beaten and forgotten. And screw the hall for making people pick teams because it causes crap like this to happen.

It don't matter. And personally, I hope they don't retire #51. Its 2-for-2 so far. Why not give it to another guy? Maybe we can squeeze another All Star/Hall Of Famer out of that number.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco got Tim Lincecum, the Seahawks ate turkey legs on their fifty yard line for Thanksgiving. Now Arizona gets Randy in the HOF, then we will celebrate a Super Bowl victory on their fifty yard line. Things could get worse people, and let's not forget #24 gets in next year. We will get ours, it's only a matter of time. Let them have the baseball accolades for now, we'll mop up the NFL side of things.