• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams release Wagner

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit Bobby.

I would not mind Seattle signing him to a short term deal for the right price but given how he left I don't think that's gonna happen.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not shocked to see Wagner and the Rams part company. Paying Wagner $10M + $2M in incentives for an aging player who looked like an $8M player in 2021 wasn't a good signing. He played well in 2022 but he didn't look like a $12M player, or a difference-maker. It looked like the Rams were trying to right an old drafting mistake when they passed on Wagner as a rookie. Good luck to Wagner in 2023.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Rams saved $5M in cap space by dumping him. He can start negotiating today and not wait until 3/15 because he's a 2022 FA.

Hope Belichick gives him a text.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not shocked to see Wagner and the Rams part company. Paying Wagner $10M + $2M in incentives for an aging player who looked like an $8M player in 2021 wasn't a good signing. He played well in 2022 but he didn't look like a $12M player, or a difference-maker. It looked like the Rams were trying to right an old drafting mistake when they passed on Wagner as a rookie. Good luck to Wagner in 2023.
Interesting to read your take as you obviously saw him more than me this past season. While I agree that it looked like the Rams overpaid at the time and will even one up you a little because I didn't think he even looked like an $8M player in 2021, I thought he was fantastic in 2022 and is absolutely worthy of what they would have paid him and more for 2023 (then it gets tricky after that as he ages). I think it is more that they just couldn't afford him than they don't think he is worth the salary. I think whichever team he ends up on in 2023 will get a lot better when he walks through the door.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

140 tackles 6 sacks 2 int's 10 tackle for losses 5 passes defensed.
2nd team all pro.

This move isnt about Wagner not living up to a contract. Not in the least. He was everything you could have wanted from him last year.

This move is about the Rams already getting the white flag they plan to waive in 2023 all ready to go.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nut says watch his Eagles. They know how to manipulate the cap. In a copycat league no other team has figured this out.

Best Ever!
If Wagner is only seeking a one year deal and he wants to play for a contender the Eagles could fit him in because they’re shedding two LB salaries in White and Edwards. They are paying likely starter Nakobe Dean 3rd round rookie contract money. I don’t know that he will want a one year deal and I don’t know if the Eagles want this kind of a guy for a one year deal. They took on White with the idea that if he played well, they could lock him up for 2-3 years. Kyzier White wasn’t a weak link. He wasn’t horrible. However, he didn’t really make a positive difference either. He was just a guy and not worthy of an investment. Personally, I would do business on a 3-4 year deal with TJ Edwards up until the 5-6 mil per year level but after that let him walk if they can’t get it done. They can start Dean and find a cheaper option. There are a bunch of teams around the league that have gotten production from 5th round or later LBs, even some undrafted FA guys. For me, I don’t allocate a ton of cap to this position. I spend on DL and CB and with pass happy teams all over the league, I’m also considering safety and slot corner to be positions worthy of larger investments going forward.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wagner is only seeking a one year deal and he wants to play for a contender the Eagles could fit him in because they’re shedding two LB salaries in White and Edwards. They are paying likely starter Nakobe Dean 3rd round rookie contract money. I don’t know that he will want a one year deal and I don’t know if the Eagles want this kind of a guy for a one year deal. They took on White with the idea that if he played well, they could lock him up for 2-3 years. Kyzier White wasn’t a weak link. He wasn’t horrible. However, he didn’t really make a positive difference either. He was just a guy and not worthy of an investment. Personally, I would do business on a 3-4 year deal with TJ Edwards up until the 5-6 mil per year level but after that let him walk if they can’t get it done. They can start Dean and find a cheaper option. There are a bunch of teams around the league that have gotten production from 5th round or later LBs, even some undrafted FA guys. For me, I don’t allocate a ton of cap to this position. I spend on DL and CB and with pass happy teams all over the league, I’m also considering safety and slot corner to be positions worthy of larger investments going forward.
There's no doubt Wagner should sign up with a team who's pretty much assured they'll be in the playoffs this year and even next. Wagner's getting up there in the years, but he still brings tremendous effort and experience to his game. If the Eagles do let White and Edwards walk, I'm sure they could figure out a way to work in Wagner's salary. Of course there will be other teams in similar situations as well.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course there will be other teams in similar situations as well.
Not like the eagles. This is becoming a dynasty and no other team has Howie, and can't figure out how he does it.

Wagner wants to win, no better choice in all of football than the eagles.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it’s pretty sweet that I’ve been able to add another shadow. I didn’t think it was possible scientifically for the sun to work that way but lo and behold you just can’t question the growing data.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but he said he wanted to win.
Would have been interesting to have seen the Cowboys this past year with Wagner. Filling one of their biggest holes with a tackling machine, All Pro LB might have made more of a difference on a team who struggled to stop the for a good part of the year than you realize. Put me down as hoping we find out next year but knowing penny pinching Stephen Jones will offer closer to a vet minimum contract unless Jerry steps in and tells him he's doing otherwise.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have been interesting to have seen the Cowboys this past year with Wagner. Filling one of their biggest holes with a tackling machine, All Pro LB might have made more of a difference on a team who struggled to stop the for a good part of the year than you realize. Put me down as hoping we find out next year but knowing penny pinching Stephen Jones will offer closer to a vet minimum contract unless Jerry steps in and tells him he's doing otherwise.
I'm just here for the good football statements.

Thanks!