• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams 23, Bucs 13- Seventh Win of the season

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a day when our draft picture was becoming more clear with Washington losing to the Caboys and Robert Quinn securing the Rams record of most sacks in a season with 18 (formerly held by Kevin Carter), the Rams put together a win that wasn't flashy but was dominated again by defense. We were able to get it done in the dome before we travel to Seattle to meet the Seahags next week for our last game of the 2013 season.

On offense. The positives. Beginning with an offensive line that gave up just one sack and no penalties and had to be shuffled to accommodate the loss of Jake Long with a possible ACL injury in his right knee, they blocked well all day long to give Clemens enough time to throw for 158 passing yards on 16/26 with no INTs and to get Stacy another 100+ yard game finishing with 33 carries for 104 yards.

Not since Steven Jackson has a Rams RB had a season like Stacy and Stacy was the first RB to go over 100 yards against the Tampa defense this year. In addition, Stedman Bailey has secured himself as a potential starter next year catching everything thrown at him and finishing the day high man among the WRs going 3 catches for 44 yards and scoring his first NFL TD on a beautifully executed double reverse where Clemens was out in front looking for someone to block.

Bailey has been so good at catching passes (glue for hands) that I think it has rubbed off on all the WRs and TEs as we had no dropped passes today by anyone except the running backs. Bailey, Quick, Givens, Pettis, Cook, and Harkey all caught passes and it was a great day for the passing and running games even though we overcame our negative of not scoring an offensive TD in the first quarter which historically equates to a loss for us.

The negatives. We lost two fumbles today: One by Clemens who was called on right before the half, after the defense provided a turnover, to run a sneak of sorts from our own 7 yard line that would have made it 21-7, after completing a drive. Clemens fumbled the ball on a play that had Billick in the booth confused and Tampa recovered it negating the drive; The second was by Stacy who coughed up the ball just running a play where he was hardly touched. Both cost us that score of 21-7 and we ended up with three points going the other way.

The other negative is that we lost Jake Long to a potential season-ending knee injury. No one touched the guy, he was pass blocking and just planted his right foot to change directions and the knee gave way. This may mean we go after Matthews or Kouandijo in the draft. The O-line was re-shuffled with Smith filling in at RG and Saffold moving over to LT and they played well the rest of the way. Saffold should be re-signed for his willingness to fill in where needed without a lot of bitching and he has played well despite the shuffling in all the positions he has played this year.

On defense. The positives. What can I say. Quinn has claimed the new Rams record with 3 sacks today to go for 18 on the year with the old record formerly held by Kevin Carter. Our front Elite Eight played with devastating aggressiveness creating havoc for Tampa Bay all day long. Olgetree was high man on D with 8 tackles, a 0.5 sacks, and a forced fumble, Quinn had 3 sacks, 8 hurries, and a fumble recovery, Laurinaitus had 1.5 sacks, C. Long had a sack, Williams Hayes had a fumble recovery, and T.J.McDonald had a sack for a total of 7 by the Defense. Jenkins and the DBs played quite well and the trio of LBs had a great day as well.

The negatives. Not much here. This unit is just plain badass and apt to get even better depending on how our draft goes this year.

Special Teams. The positives. One guy's name stands out. Greg Zuerlein!! 3/3 on field goals of 54, 25, and 48 yards and every KO out of the back of the endzone with 0 returns. He has quietly done this for several games now. The ST's had the presence of mind to knock a surprise onside kick by Tampa in the third quarter out of bounds to preserve the momentum that had been wrestled away from us right before the half. Jason Veltung filled in quite well for Austin and had several nice runbacks on punts except for a penalty that called back the longest of his runbacks. All-in-all, a pretty solid day.

We are beginning to come on here of late as a team and it will be a good measure next week to see how far we have come with the potential to repay that dreadful loss to the Seahags at home with a win in their house and end with an 8-8 finish. I think it will be a good game as guys are playing for next year's starting positions and contracts.

I hope we go into to Seattle and kick their asses because they are playing quite well and they have some pretty big heads right now. They will probably win the NFC championship and have the best chance of anyone to win it all. Because of that it would be great and would obtain payback to kick their asses just to send a message for next year. We shall see.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good win by the club, but i'm not sold until they show off on the road..I don't mean to be a debbie downer but it was Tampa Bay; lets see what they do next week. Overall though, good win.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Jermaine, the Cardinals beat 'em today and the chink in their armor has been exposed as a collective bunch of dirty players. Did you see any of that game? The Cardinals may surprise everyone yet and if we play like we did in St Louis against them, anything can happen.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always nice to win, but the coaching this season has turned this team into a .500 team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stacy was the first RB to go over 100 yards against the Tampa defense this year.
Tampa might not be that good but they've been elite at stopping the run for 2 years now. If the Rams can run on Tampa, they can run on anyone.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so jealous. Tell me, how does it feel to win and still maintain the 2nd draft spot? You can have your cake and eat it too. Dallas almost bumped your pick out of the top 5, but was able to hang on to help you maintain top 2.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so jealous. Tell me, how does it feel to win and still maintain the 2nd draft spot? You can have your cake and eat it too. Dallas almost bumped your pick out of the top 5, but was able to hang on to help you maintain top 2.

Screw the cake, I had ice cream

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything else major that I missed? I wasn't able to see any of the game today, came up to Green Bay to go to Steelers vs Packers in Lambeau. If any of you ever have the opportunity you should come up, its awesome. It looks like Stacy had a nice day today and I saw Stedman ran for a score, these are positives. 3 sacks by Quinn and only 13 points allowed look good on paper, did they pass the eye test as well?

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where do we pick now??... #15??

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where do we pick now??... #15??

Don't know, but they keep dropping with each win.

At least the Skins keep losing. Just 1 more loss to go but I have a feeling they may win and we can kiss #2 pick goodbye. Man, I hope I am wrong.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I believe we are at 15 right now. If we lose next week and the Lions, Pittsburgh, and Jets win we could fall to 12 though. And of course a loss by Washington and a win by Houston gives us the 1st pick lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa might not be that good but they've been elite at stopping the run for 2 years now. If the Rams can run on Tampa, they can run on anyone.

I wouldn't necessarily say we ran on TB, 39 carries for 129 yards isn't that good. Take away the surprise run by Bailey and those numbers are 38-102 yards, that's less than 3 yards a carry, then a 19 yard run by Stacy takes that to 37-83, just barely over 2 yards a carry. Yes, I'm glad they stuck with the run, and continued to pound the ball, but our oline really wasnt opening holes for us, so it wasnt a great running day for us. Actually other than the double reverse after our defense gave us great field position, we did absolutely nothing after our first TD drive, but we did enough to win!

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another wrong pick by me. But I think I've finally figured it out. My crystal ball is bi-polar. Every time I pick the Rams to win, they lose. When I pick them to lose, they win. For the record, I'm predicting an 0-16 season next year!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything else major that I missed? I wasn't able to see any of the game today, came up to Green Bay to go to Steelers vs Packers in Lambeau. If any of you ever have the opportunity you should come up, its awesome. It looks like Stacy had a nice day today and I saw Stedman ran for a score, these are positives. 3 sacks by Quinn and only 13 points allowed look good on paper, did they pass the eye test as well?
It was 'Fisher Ball' at it's best.

Great defense and ball control.

Not to take anything away from Clemens however I can only imagine where we might be with above average QB play. (Whoever that is :whistle:)

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG. Did we sign Manziel? Oh Oh I get it. :lol:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great defense + Stacy with 100+ yards rushing + Kellen Clemens capped at 20 attempts = Rams win.

Hmm... starting to see a trend here. :nod:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Vita coined it, "Fisher Ball"-I like it. We are starting to resemble the Bears of the eighties. A few more pieces on the D and the O and I hope the result is the same. A return to the bowl with a crushing defeat of the opponent. I have a sense that maybe, just maybe we may get there in about two to three years.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun game yesterday. The throw backs, honoring Jackie Slaughter during the game, seeing the Rams sack record fall and another win. I took my 14 year old son for an early Christmas present and it was nice to watch a game with very few opposing fans in attendance. Rams played well and really controlled the game, especially on defense. If it wasn’t for the turnovers by Clemens and Stacy that game would have been much more lopsided.

For all of the old L.A. Rams fans on here I’m going to make you jealous. We got to meet Jackie Slaughter yesterday. We were walking on the outer concourse to go to our seats and he came in the Dome bypassing the turnstile’s as I was walking past. I gave him the old, “Hey you’re Jackie Slaughter” and thanked him for his contributions to the Rams. He’s pretty good sized dude, LOL. My son was funny, he asked me after we walked away “Who’s Jacking Slaughter”. I told him that he’s just a Rams HOF’r and one of the greatest o-lineman ever. BTW, when I was a Big Red fan when the Cardinals where I hated Slaughter. However I didn’t mention that to him, LOL.