• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams 2017 free agency talk

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sneadoff should go back and offer some more bucks to Groy
They would have to do it in a trade with the Bills RR, how much are you willing to give up?

Bills Match Rams Offer For Ryan Groy

This means that by rule Groy is now under the Bill’s control, and the Rams will not have the opportunity to make a second offer. Very likely the Rams will still be in the market for a veteran center, as the only other center on the roster is Demetrius Rhaney. Some possible stop-gap options at this point include C John Sullivan and C Joe Berger.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start with a 6th rounder than figure it out from there. Not going higher than a 4th rounder.
Sounds about right Battleyon! And I hope the Rams do it! Groy has a lot of upside and the Bills have some depth at Center so they might do it too. Probably thought they might be able to get a pick and start trade talks with the Rams anyways....

So as Retro always says, stay tuned!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how our roster stands right now. I am encouraged by the WR group except for the overpaid little turd T. Austin.

To answer your question, Vita, I would send the Bills a seventh and Rhaney, and say Jamon Brown who is a complete waste at this point.

How Free Agency Has Shaped LA Rams Depth Chart

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the Groy chase is dead and we are not going to go with Rhaney, The Mangold is still out there and with fairly decent ratings on a number of assessment sites.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how hard is it to teach a long snapper like Mcquaide to be a center?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to trade for one his former teammates in Philly, Kendricks. I heard he can be had for a 5th and he's cheap. He can help out a lot and we can decide to go from there.

Agreed. Ever since it was noted he was being shopped I was interested. He might end up being released outright, but I'd be fine with giving up the late draft pick to ensure the Rams got him.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This story not only gets me jacked-up about the Barwin sign, but about Wade signing too!

Connor Barwin Chose LA Rams for Reunion With Wade Phillips

Connor Barwin is eager for the chance to reunite with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips with the Los Angeles Rams.

FILE - In this Nov. 6, 2016, file photo, Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Connor Barwin prepares to play against the New York Giants in an NFL football game in East Rutherford, N.J. Barwin is eager for a fresh start on the West Coast after signing a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Rams last week. He will be reunited with Wade Phillips, his defensive coordinator for two years with the Houston Texans. (AP Photo/Bill Kostroun, File) The Associated Press

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Connor Barwin had several options for the next stop in his NFL career after he couldn't work out a way to stay with the Philadelphia Eagles.

He decided to make a fresh start on the West Coast with an old mentor.

Barwin signed with the Los Angeles Rams last week, agreeing to a one-year-deal. The move reunites him with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, whose signature 3-4 defense set up Barwin to become a star with the Houston Texans.

"Wade did a lot for me in the two years I was with Houston," Barwin said Wednesday in a phone interview. "He taught me so much about being a pro, enjoying being around the game every single day, and he really elevated my game as a pass rusher."

Barwin will be an outside linebacker in Phillips' 3-4 scheme after serving as an end last year with the Eagles. Those position names are really just semantics, because Barwin expects to be a down lineman on about 60 percent of the Rams' defensive snaps.

The Rams' defense was above-average last season under coordinator Gregg Williams, and Phillips will have most of that personnel at his disposal as he shapes the group into a 3-4 unit. Barwin can't wait to get started next month.

"This is as good as they get in LA," Barwin said. "I'm excited to be a part of that group and make the group even better."

Barwin said he'll be the left defensive end on most nickel snaps; Robert Quinn prefers to play from the right side. Barwin prides himself on his versatility, and he expects to be effective anywhere Phillips wants him.

Barwin made the Pro Bowl in 2014 with the Eagles, and he was willing to take a pay cut to stay in Philadelphia. He signed his six-year contract in 2013 knowing it would have to be restructured after four years. But when the Eagles asked for a cut that was apparently far below what Barwin could make on the open market, he decided to move on.

He isn't angry with the Eagles, but he remains disappointed by his declining production last season after transitioning from a 3-4 defense to coordinator Jim Schwartz's 4-3 set. He still managed five sacks as an end, but his 34 tackles were his fewest in a full season since his rookie year in 2009.

"I think if I would have stayed, I would have been better as well," Barwin said. "There's a lot of money in the defensive line room in Philadelphia, and I think they wanted to use (some of) that money — wisely, I think — to help Carson Wentz, to get him some receivers."

Barwin also was pursued by the Cincinnati Bengals as a free agent, but the University of Cincinnati product thought the Rams presented more opportunities.

Los Angeles went 4-12 last season, losing 11 of its last 12 games despite the efforts of its solid defense. The Rams then hired 31-year-old head coach Sean McVay, who is a mere nine months older than Barwin.

"Ultimately. I thought it was a better opportunity to be in LA, and be in a defense that I've had success with," Barwin said.

___
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-chose-la-rams-for-reunion-with-wade-phillips

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy slipped under the radar because he is ranked 46th among FA DTs but he is a load (6-3, 310lbs) and was trained at the college level in the 3-4 playing DE. He is only 27 and signed a decent contract. Phillips is getting his guys in place. He is a road grader type and I don't know if Cam Thomas is going to return or not.

Tyrunn Walker, newest Ram!!

LA Rams Sign DL Tyrunn Walker

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy slipped under the radar because he is ranked 46th among FA DTs but he is a load (6-3, 310lbs) and was trained at the college level in the 3-4 playing DE. He is only 27 and signed a decent contract. Phillips is getting his guys in place. He is a road grader type and I don't know if Cam Thomas is going to return or not.

Tyrunn Walker, newest Ram!!

LA Rams Sign DL Tyrunn Walker
Well it looks like Philips will waste no time installing his 3-4 defensive fronts!

Still would like to see them go after Hightower though.

BTW - I found this little Easter egg in the article RR. :dhd:

Arizona State Head Coac Todd Graham
Most PAC guys outside of ASU do think of this dude as a Head Coac. (kak) :pound:

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm optimistic going into this year. Right off the bat, the coaching staff got rid of Fishers guys, the problem spots, even the average fan knew they weren't part of the solution. If anyone thinks we don't have a better roster now as opposed to the end of the season, than just move along. They even try to renegotiate with Austin about his contract, Austin not being the team player that he is, refused of course. I imagine the Rams are waiting for the right time to jettison Austin, thanks to Fisher, the time unfortunately the time isn't right yet.