• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Raiders to San Antonio?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland Raiders owner talks to San Antonio officials

I'd be shocked to see this really happen, but I guess in some ways it makes sense. The Raiders lease with Oakland is up after this season and so far they don't have plans in place for a new stadium. San Antonio has the Alamo Dome which hosted the Saints for several games after Katrina and also is home to the UTSA football team. It's not a NFL ready stadium, but it would do for a year or two while a new one was built. It also allows the Raiders to move immediately.

I don't imagine ticket sales would be an issue either. The state of Texas loves football and San Antonio has been pretty open about wanting a team despite Dallas and Houston having one. The Raiders would likely be embraced immediately by the city. While they question it in the video on the above link, I don't think funding for a stadium would be to difficult though they likely will not get a 1 billion dollar state of the art one. San Antonio has the want for a NFL team and enough large companies to likely fund something. They could also try to pull Austin into it for funding as Austin is only 70 miles away and booming with large tech companies moving out of California.

Why it's not likely to happen though
San Antonio is a much smaller market. I think the rabid football fan base in the state would make up for some of that, but nothing can make up the TV market difference. While I believe the team and city could likely workout a stadium deal it's not a 100% and the Raiders might want more than the city could offer. Mark Davis would also have to accept being the 3rd wheel team in Texas. Which is something I don't think should be an issue considering the state has 3 NBA teams that have all won championships, but if pride is an issue he would have to swallow it for a few years. You also have to wonder if the NFL would let a team move to San Antonio. The Cowboys and Texans would lose a huge chunk of their market as both teams draw heavily from Austin and San Antonio.

In the end I think this is just a ploy by Davis to put pressure on Oakland for a new stadium. L.A. is no where near ready to have a team move into town, and even when they are it seems the Raiders are not likely to be the team moving in. The guys in the video make the comment that Davis does not have the money to buy into a new stadium in L.A. nor would the NFL want the Raiders to be the team there. They claim the Rams and Chargers are the most likely teams to relocate to L.A (though I still feel the Jaguars could be that team). So if he can't realistically use L.A. as a bargaining chip why not use San Antonio? It's likely the only realistic city he could immediately move the team to after this season even if it's not likely to happen.

What do you guys think?
Is an NFL team in Oakland hopeless at this point?
Are there better options out there for them to relocate?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care for Oakland(perhaps being a non CA resident has to do with that)....

San Antonio getting a team would be interesting... Raiders though? so anti-Popovich to me lol...

Unless they drop the name Raiders which I don't they'll ever will.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't care for Oakland(perhaps being a non CA resident has to do with that)....

San Antonio getting a team would be interesting... Raiders though? so anti-Popovich to me lol...

Unless they drop the name Raiders which I don't they'll ever will.

Even California residents don't care much for Oakland either lol

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Raiders to Los Angeles makes so much sense.

Big market, the Raiders image fits LA, and it would place one team in the 3 big California markets
evenly and setup a good LA - SD rivalry.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
San Antonio is too nice for the Raiders. They deserve better of they're gonna get an NFL team. Like the Jags.

On that point, I would feel sort for San Antonio, but I would be elated the Raiders would be leaving my home state. :D

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders to Los Angeles makes so much sense.

Big market, the Raiders image fits LA, and it would place one team in the 3 big California markets
evenly and setup a good LA - SD rivalry.

Seems the Raiders might have trouble going back to L.A. unless Davis is willing to sale the team or become a minority owner. Unless of course they are the only team that is capable of moving and even then I would think the NFL considers another expansion instead of a Davis run Raiders back in L.A.

It seems the league really wants a team that will play ball and succeed in the L.A. market, and they don't have much faith in the Raiders ownership.

It makes sense to put them back in L.A. but I can see from a revenue stand point were the NFL would rather put a different team there.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they add another texas team when LA is sitting right here waiting? The raiders already have a fan base here.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Vegas' reputation matches up very well with the Raiders, wasn't there speculation an NFL team could move there?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Vegas' reputation matches up very well with the Raiders, wasn't there speculation an NFL team could move there?

I really don't think Vegas could sustain a professional team. They would be so reliant on turning the team into a Vegas attraction to sale tickets. Vegas is kinda located in the middle of the desert so you don't have anything outside of the city to pull from. I think if anything Vegas is more likely to get a NBA team.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was listening to a radio segment on this very subject, and the way they were talking I would not be the least bit surprised if this is the Raiders' last season in the Dump. I mean the Crap Hole. I mean the Black Hole. Oakland.

San Antonio isn't likely IMO, but I would actually be surprised if the Raiders signed a new lease in Oakland. They simply can't sell tickets, and they CERTAINLY aren't selling any luxury boxes.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Vegas' reputation matches up very well with the Raiders

I totally agree. If the fans don't buy the tickets, the tourists passing by will. Kinda cool destination too for fans of visiting teams. As long as the visiting team fans aren't harassed.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vince Neil opened up a new restaurant and bought the rights to the Las Vegas Outlaws Arena League!