• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

R U Happy with your team's draft?

islander4cups

Franchise dman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Originally, I was frustrated the Isles passed on Gormley and Fowler at the five pick, but taking Nino makes sense. They want size & skill to go with Tavares and they got that with the pick. Still, the Isles could have had defensive prospects of DeHaan, Hamonic, Donovan, and Fowler or Gormley. That means we likely would have had the best d-corps in the ATL if not the east in 5 seasons. But the Isles do need help up front as well.

Here is who the Isles took:

Round 1 5 NINO NIEDERREITER RW CH 6' 2" 201 WHL PORTLAND
Round 1 30 BROCK NELSON C US 6' 3" 205 HIGH-MN WARROAD
Round 3 65 KIRILL KABANOV LW RU 6' 2" 173 QMJHL MONCTON
Round 3 82 JASON CLARK C/LW US 6' 2" 180 HIGH-MN SHAT.ST.MARY'S
Round 5 125 TONY DEHART D US 6' 2" 187 OHL OSHAWA
Round 7 185 CODY ROSEN

I don't know anything about our picks after round three, but I'm pleased with our first 4 picks. Taking Kabanov in the third round was a great move. He's a troubled Russian (oxymoron) but if he can get his head on straight and not abandon everyone in jrs this year, he could be a steal with his skill. Nelson will be in college for 3 seasons or so.

Overall pleased with the draft. The Isles now have Tavares, Moulson, Bailey, Okposo, Nino, DeHaan, Hamonic, and Donovan all under age 23 for the future. Hopefully they will progress and we have brighter days ahead.

EDIT: MY APOLOGIES. Did not see the other thread dedicated to this topic. Please use the other thread.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Islanders draft. I think Nino was a nice pick and Kabanov is a first round talent that fell to the third round. I know he has history, but I don't think he is going to be a problem.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I am. We will probably lose them when they are eligible for UFA or RFA but so far so good. They draft well but can't seem to keep them. ;)

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a very offensive minded draft for the Bruins (3 centers, 2 wingers, 1 d'man, 1 goalie), but I'm happy looking to the future, especially waiting to see what Seguin does next year.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a very offensive minded draft for the Bruins (3 centers, 2 wingers, 1 d'man, 1 goalie), but I'm happy looking to the future, especially waiting to see what Seguin does next year.

Do you think Seguin will stick with the big club, wayne? Obviously, it depends on what the Bruins do in free agency/player moves etc. coupled with how he plays at training camp, but he's still got a year of junior eligibility.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Seguin will stick with the big club, wayne? Obviously, it depends on what the Bruins do in free agency/player moves etc. coupled with how he plays at training camp, but he's still got a year of junior eligibility.

I wouldn't be disappointed if he spent another year in the juniors to maybe gain a little more bulk, but from what I've gathered in his interviews, he plans on trying to make the big club next year. I'm really excited to see him play as I haven't seen him play at all in juniors (I did get to see Hall in the Memorial Cup). Like all Bruins fans, I'm hoping he's the real deal and has a long and glorious career in Boston. BTW I think it's cool you like the Bruins and you have the coolest avatar :D

gtown27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm going to say no.

I'm sure one or two players have the potential to make the squad, but going into the draft I was looking for some big centermen. We drafted three d-men out of the first four picks.

Granted, the Sabres lack an offensive d-man to man the point on the PP, but they have an abundance of d-men in the minors waiting to get called up. TJ Brennan, Marc Andre Gragnani and Mark Crawford could all be likely candidates, with stay-at-home d-man Mike Weber possibly the likeliest to play next season.

But, the point is, they're extremely week offensively down the middle. They shoulda took the opposite in centers. JMO

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
canucks needed to get some defensive depth ... and they got it but its questionable what kind of prospects selected past the 4th round can eventually become mainstays

Apparently, the canucks think that 2011 draft will be much deeper than this years which is why they traded this years 25th pick. Its just very strange in my opinion that the NHL franchise that has built up the biggest scouting staff in the NHL, has had its gm publically say that he will not part with prospects, believes in building depth in the system and having 5 guys pushing for positions at training camp just suddenly part with the 4th highest prospect in their system. I know Gillis didnt draft Grabner but letting him go gives me a touch of sellers remorse

The canucks are spinning this draft as "we got very intelligent players" pointing out that one of the draft picks rated 3rd overall in psychological testing. Ive seen that Oreskovich (who was picked up in the trade for Ballard) has been questioned for his desire because he quit hockey for 3 years but IMO, if he didnt know if he wanted this career for himself, it's better to find that out away from the game then going on to the ice and going through the motions for a couple of years like alot of players do.

When the Canucks were unable to reach Victor Oreskovich to tell him he was a part in the Keith Ballard trade, it wasn't because he was in a gym, on some ice or on a bike.

He was in a classroom. GM Mike Gillis couldn't have been more thrilled.

Can young hockey players succeed in the NHL because of brain over brawn? The Canucks think so.

"You want kids who are open to getting better all the time," Gillis said. "Why do you go to school? You go to get better. Either it's to become a doctor, a lawyer or a journalist or something. You're going there for a reason. I feel there's merit in looking at kids that are predisposed to continuing their education about anything, no matter what it is."

It's a philosophy which played a big role in what the Canucks did at the 2010 draft. It led them to ask for Oreskovich in the Ballard trade. He's a six foot three forward who is finishing his degree at Notre Dame this summer.

It helped them make their first pick, No. 115 overall, in the fourth round. That's when Vancouver grabbed Patrick McNally, who was ranked 40th among North American skaters by central scouting but was passed on by teams because he has another year of prep school in Massachusetts before he attends Harvard where he's already accepted a scholarship.

And what was one of the first things Gillis said about his sixth-round pick Alex Friesen?

"He scored in the top-three in our psychological and intelligence testing," Gillis said of the OHL product.

But can he play? Gillis said he believes the Canucks have a better chance to develop and get the most out of smart kids.

"We think that because we are trying to do a number of different things behind the scenes, we think that kids who are academically inclined are more predisposed to take advantage of those things, to believe in them," Gillis said. "When you have kids who think they are fully developed and they don't think they can get that much better than they currently are, you don't necessarily want those kids. You want kids who are open to getting better all the time."

If they are looking for cerebral, they couldn't have done much better than Oreskovich, Florida's throwaway in the Ballard deal. Born in Oakville, Oreskovich was Colorado's second-round pick in 2004. But after just two years in the Avalanche system, he quit hockey.

"My head wasn't in the game, and I didn't want to waste anyone's time if I wasn't going to give everything I had," Oreskovich said. "I felt I needed to take a break from the game and I really didn't have any plans to ever come back. I was done playing.

"Eventually, I found myself missing playing. It was something I identified with. I started to see a lot of guys who I played with in the NHL and it started to eat away at me."

After two years off, Florida head coach Peter DeBoer, who coached Oreskovich in junior, invited him as an unsigned free agent to the Panthers 2009 training camp. He impressed everyone and ended up playing 50 games in the NHL for Florida last year.

"When I decided to come back, I really believed I could play in the NHL," he said. "Now, I really believe I can play for the Canucks."

Read more: Victor Oreskovich brings brains, not just brawn to Vancouver Canucks: Gillis

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just very strange in my opinion that the NHL franchise that has built up the biggest scouting staff in the NHL, has had its gm publically say that he will not part with prospects

that was said before back to back 2nd round losses to chicago where our D just wasnt good enough (and goaltending but not a topic for this)

we needed NHL depth and fast and over paying on a cap world is more hurtful than giving up a plug (Bernier) an inconsistent hopeful (Grabner) and a LATE first round draft pick. if this was the way to get the top 4 dman that we needed badly I dont think this was overpayment but a very good hockey trade for the Canucks and a real hopeful trade for Florida.

The Canucks did WONDERS with Erhoff which I saw ALOT of San Jose Fans thank the canucks for taking him and called him Errorhoff, he was outstanding for us and I hope he will continue to be. I see Ballard becoming better here.

I have NO idea about everything else we picked up in the draft as that late of picks are a crapshoot. they could be the smartest people on the planet but if they dont have skill what will they be.

I give the draft this year a C+. Only because we didnt come out with any exciting prospects but that trade is a B for me as we got a top 4 Dman for relatively nothing that would hurt our long term future or short term goals.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give the draft this year a C+. Only because we didnt come out with any exciting prospects but that trade is a B for me as we got a top 4 Dman for relatively nothing that would hurt our long term future or short term goals.

I dont know what to think about the trade right now. I hope bieksa brings some good return

Getting Ballard means Mitchell is gone for sure and Bieksa will be likely gone as well since they cant have their #5 defenseman be a 3.75 mill per season cap hit.

Do they still "own" their 2nd for next year enabling them to make an offer sheet on an rfa?

/on that note: just heard they qualified SOB

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Mason Raymond, Tanner Glass and Jannik Hansen are also expected to get qualifying offers by the end of the day.

/tsn

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian White has received a qualifying offer from Calgary...Best stache since Lanny

/grasping for straws here

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tanner sticks with the big club I hope he doesn't disappear like he did last year.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
If Tanner sticks with the big club I hope he doesn't disappear like he did last year.

I already have him pencilled in as my whipping boy for the upcoming season.
- assumptions: Wellwood is gone, Bieksa is traded