• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Quinton Dial becomes third addition to Packers' D since cut-down day

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three days after the final cuts, the Green Bay Packers have added their third new defensive player.

They signed fifth-year defensive lineman Quinton Dial on Tuesday.

Dial followed his former San Francisco 49ers teammate Ahmad Brooks, who officially signed with the Packers on Sunday. That was the same day general manager Ted Thompson claimed rookie Chris Odom off waivers from the Atlanta Falcons.

The Packers cut second-year pro Christian Ringo to make room for Dial on the roster. Ringo, a former sixth-round pick, played in eight games last season after spending all of his rookie year on the practice squad.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three days after the final cuts, the Green Bay Packers have added their third new defensive player.

They signed fifth-year defensive lineman Quinton Dial on Tuesday.

Dial followed his former San Francisco 49ers teammate Ahmad Brooks, who officially signed with the Packers on Sunday. That was the same day general manager Ted Thompson claimed rookie Chris Odom off waivers from the Atlanta Falcons.

The Packers cut second-year pro Christian Ringo to make room for Dial on the roster. Ringo, a former sixth-round pick, played in eight games last season after spending all of his rookie year on the practice squad.

We're now the Green Bay 49ers with our backup front seven. These are solid acquisitions.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're now the Green Bay 49ers with our backup front seven. These are solid acquisitions.

TT has been very un-TT like this year. Who'd have thought he'd cut a guy like Ringo and replace him with an older vet? Seems like he's really going all-in this year. Makes me think he may be closer to retiring than he lets on.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TT has been very un-TT like this year. Who'd have thought he'd cut a guy like Ringo and replace him with an older vet? Seems like he's really going all-in this year. Makes me think he may be closer to retiring than he lets on.

Possibly, or someone else behind the scenes is pulling the strings. I still believe Cook for less money was a better deal than Bennett, and we should trade matthews

Reactions: GNG

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly, or someone else behind the scenes is pulling the strings. I still believe Cook for less money was a better deal than Bennett, and we should trade matthews
We actually have Bennett for cheaper this year than Cook's deal. I think you are wrong about that. Also why would anyone trade for Matthews at that cap hit. If healthy he is still a very good difference maker on this defense. His guaranteed money on his deal is gone after this year so if he cant stay healthy he will be gone.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I should have said that I disagreed rather than you are wrong so thats my bad. However you tend to exaggerate things

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We actually have Bennett for cheaper this year than Cook's deal. I think you are wrong about that. Also why would anyone trade for Matthews at that cap hit. If healthy he is still a very good difference maker on this defense. His guaranteed money on his deal is gone after this year so if he cant stay healthy he will be gone.

That's incorrect, Cook is making 5.3 million a year with 5 million guaranteed. Bennett is making 7 mil a year with 6 mil guranteed. They're roughly the same age and very similar production according to pro football focus. However, Cook has proven when the lights shine brightest he performs the best in our system. Bennett hasn't proven this and is a risk with his mouth much like Finley and Nick Barnett were.

Clay is a liability at best even when healthy. Pro football focus had him rated as a 43 when he played which a poor player. With his age and injury history it would be logical to do to him what we did to sitton. That's 10 mil of free space this year. We could've signed another CB just hitting his prime. We'll see but waiting for a player to make one big play once every fourth game isn't worth 10 mil a year.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's incorrect, Cook is making 5.3 million a year with 5 million guaranteed. Bennett is making 7 mil a year with 6 mil guranteed. They're roughly the same age and very similar production according to pro football focus. However, Cook has proven when the lights shine brightest he performs the best in our system. Bennett hasn't proven this and is a risk with his mouth much like Finley and Nick Barnett were.

Clay is a liability at best even when healthy. Pro football focus had him rated as a 43 when he played which a poor player. With his age and injury history it would be logical to do to him what we did to sitton. That's 10 mil of free space this year. We could've signed another CB just hitting his prime. We'll see but waiting for a player to make one big play once every fourth game isn't worth 10 mil a year.
nope...

upload_2017-9-6_14-16-42.png

Bennett carries a much smaller cap hit this year. As long as he performs this year he will see the end of his contract but for year 1 Bennett is cheaper. Bennett is also better in my opinion. He is a MUCH better blocker.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he can potentially make 8 mil this season. Damn they could've done the same thing with cookie but for less. No matter what his signing bonus alone is more than what cookie will make this season.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he can potentially make 8 mil this season. Damn they could've done the same thing with cookie but for less. No matter what his signing bonus alone is more than what cookie will make this season.
in cash he will make 8 mill but the cap hit is the important figure which is much lower.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in cash he will make 8 mill but the cap hit is the important figure which is much lower.

I get that but why couldn't we have given a similar contract to a man who has comprable talents production age Etc especially when our quarterback says he wants him back next year? The move made little since and if anything is a risk because of Bennett's mouth.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that but why couldn't we have given a similar contract to a man who has comprable talents production age Etc especially when our quarterback says he wants him back next year? The move made little since and if anything is a risk because of Bennett's mouth.
Im sure we were negotiating with him and he wasnt happy with the amount. Bennett's ceiling is higher than Cook's IMO. When Cook was on the field it was almost guaranteed to be a pass. With Bennett we can mix it up and go no huddle

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe it's just me but it looks like he takes plays off. Very Randy Moss-esk like. It is getting old having him miss games because he can't stay healthy. he can be a force to wreaken with at times but it's definitely becoming less and less.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews performance has been declining the past two years.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sure we were negotiating with him and he wasnt happy with the amount. Bennett's ceiling is higher than Cook's IMO. When Cook was on the field it was almost guaranteed to be a pass. With Bennett we can mix it up and go no huddle
Bennett is a much better blocker than Cook.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that but why couldn't we have given a similar contract to a man who has comprable talents production age Etc especially when our quarterback says he wants him back next year? The move made little sense and if anything is a risk because of Bennett's mouth.

Correction :L

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthews performance has been declining the past two years.

Pro football focus has him with the second lowest rating of all starting players on the defense side of the ball last season with a 43. Only Randall had a lower score.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cook said he never received an offer. They're the same age so their ceiling has been met at their age. Cook is the better receiver and can be used a s a decision more but Bennett is a better blocker.

Grimm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty Surprising moves! I hope it turns out to really get the Defense into the top 15 or even top 10. Wish a decent defense this team could go far.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty Surprising moves! I hope it turns out to really get the Defense into the top 15 or even top 10. Wish a decent defense this team could go far.

Welcome, Grimm. It's good to see you here.