• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question regarding UFAs

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are teams allowed to negotiate and sign UFAs (and RFAs) who were previously under contract to them (e.g., Kings can sign Gaborik or King) before July 1, or do they need to wait until that date like all other teams?

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that they can nagotiate, but no ink can be put to paper until July 1st.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams can sign their own UFAs/RFAs at any time after the end of the season (if it is a UFA, they have until July 1 of the player will be a FA free to negotiate with any team) or after Jan 1 of the current season with a player who is on an expiring contract.

UFA example: Greene was on the last year of his deal to start 2013-14, so after Jan 1, 2014 he could have been signed to a new deal. Now they have until July 1 to get a new deal done or he tests the waters. He can still sign with the Kings on/after July 1 but between after the season ends and July 1 the current team still holds his rights. On July 1, he will be available to all 30 teams.

RFA example: King also started the season on the last year of his deal and could have signed a new contract after Jan 1, 2014 (it would be then called "an extension"). But in his case, he is a low paid player ($750,000) and had the rest of the season to prove himself and his regular season was solid statistically, 15G/15A/30pts. Not bad for a third line guy. His playoffs however...left a lot to be desired.

He has minimal negotiating advantages being a GII RFA however, so it would have been in his best interest to play out 2013-14, see how he ended up on the season, and then go from there. Based on how he played during the regular season, he would be dumb to accept the $787,500 MQO, negotiate with the Kings and see what the most he can get is.

All RFAs need to be tendered their MQO by June 15th but cannot officially accept them until July 1.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King put up more points this run than the last one.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King put up more points this run than the last one.

Sure, but he was huge in the Phoenix series in 2012. They don't win that series without him. Big goals, scored 4-5 in that series. He didn't have much of an impact this time around, and I can't even count the number of missed opportunities he had.

It actually baffles me that he scored 15 in the regular season, he has hands of stone. But he fills an important need on that third line and does his job, but I wouldn't break the bank for him.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he had a pretty huge goal in game 2 vs the Rangers.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That goal was huge, no doubt. I expected more from him after a 15 goal season.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon Deader, are you just prodding Puck for an argument or are you speaking your heart?

Dwight King had a shitty playoffs this year, and what was most aggravating were all the missed excellent opportunities he had that were set up by other teammates that would have made things easier. He mostly stopped using his size to charge the net like he did in '12 which back then helped the team not just generate more direct chances but also back off defensemen to make room for others.
He is very frustrating...

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What on earth does everyone expect from Dwight King? He's a 3rd line grinder who actually did a pretty good job of setting up in front of the opposing goalie and creating screens. He didn't always get a piece of the puck or even get a point on some of the scoring plays. The Kings won the friggin' Stanley Cup and we're complaining about the production of a 3rd line grinder? Something just wrong about that. I don't have a single complaint myself. I had doubts that I'd live long enough to see the Kings every win a single Stanley Cup and now they've won 2 in the last 3 years. Be happy fans. Your team is the 2014 Stanley Cup Champions.

Ox

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon Ox, who said I'm not happy? Because I said King not burying open chances drove me crazy? Because I said King did not use his size to charge the net like he did in '12? I don't think I'm alone in my frustration...

Ox, I have lived in the Chicago area the past 30+ as a die-hard Kings fan--the only Kings fan 99% of Hawks fans I know have ever met. There's not anyone who knows me in this area who does not know how ecstatic (and amazed) I am that the Kings have achieved levels of success I never thought possible. I have educated Hawks fans about the Kings, Kings fans and LA in general. I cannot tell you how many texts I got from Hawks fans with photos contrasting the attendance at the Hawks parade in '13 with the Kings' two days ago--they sent these because that was all they had to try to damper my joy. I am so grateful for Dean Lombardi, Darryl Sutter and all they and the many players have done for all us Kings fans.

Please don't lecture me about my reaction to the Kings' success because I state frustration with a frustratingly inconsistent player...

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly yeah, King is a 3rd line winger and did what he was suppose to do. He was a liability on the ice. He also doesnt really see any PP or SH time.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon Ox, who said I'm not happy? Because I said King not burying open chances drove me crazy?

Please don't lecture me about my reaction to the Kings' success because I state frustration with a frustratingly inconsistent player...

Sorry, I didn't mean to lecture or even insinuate that you aren't happy with the win. Just not sure what fans (not just you) expect from King. Yeah he had a great playoffs in '12 along with Nolan. Who by the way hardly even dressed this playoffs. But that wasn't the real Dwight King. He is not and won't ever be a top 6 forward. He is inconsistent and as big as he is he has never been physical. I'm guessing he must be doing something right or Sutter wouldn't have kept him in the lineup. Would I miss him if he was to get traded or let go? Not a bit.

Ox