• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QBs (Of course)

Do you trade up in the draft?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 2. No

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For years we on this board have been writing and posting about fixing one thing or the other but not QB, we've been sold a bill of goods with Fitzpatrick, Wince, and Heinicke as starter material. We are now entering the 4th year of the so-called rebuild and the only thing that this brain trust has given some of us is more hope! Howell flashed and is the new shiny penny in the room, so what has been done? {rhetorical} fired the guy that gave us the system that he flashed in and gave a promise of a run-first team in an NFL world in which the passing game is taking precedence!

Aaron Rodgers will cost you 59.5 Million this year, another 50.5 Million in 2024 plus the cost to acquire him which has been ranging from a 3rd rounder (hahahahahahaha) to at minimum 2 firsts. In either case, that's a lot of assets to spend on a head case, skill diminished and likely one-year rental like Rodgers.

That said, OK, suppose they go after Rodgers and the cost is 2024 and 2025 first-round picks, how do you trade up then? What happens if Rodgers retires or stays, hamstringing the organization's ability to re-sign players or be involved in free agency? BTW; You can't fix the OL after acquiring him this year without the assets lost to get him.
I am hearing his contract hit can be lowered to approx 30M after restructuring to consummate a trade. As far as assets to obtain Rodgers, I"m not willing to pay but was simply throwing it out there. I am a roll with Howell guy for now as I see no other alternative for us immediately.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers cap hit isn't that bad for the next two years. He's already acknowledged he's going to have to restructure. That said everything I've heard is they will trade him to the AFC.

Screenshot_20230130-154726_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230130-154734_Chrome.jpg

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers cap hit isn't that bad for the next two years. He's already acknowledged he's going to have to restructure. That said everything I've heard is they will trade him to the AFC.

View attachment 320184
View attachment 320185
Lord, that’s all the afc needs is another great qb. I mean the nfc honestly doesn’t have any. I’d have to say without Rodgers, Cousin Kirk is the top of NFC

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lord, that’s all the afc needs is another great qb. I mean the nfc honestly doesn’t have any. I’d have to say without Rodgers, Cousin Kirk is the top of NFC
Not gonna sit here and pretend I wouldn't be excited for the season with Rodgers in a Andy Reid/Bieniemy offense, but getting Aaron out of the NFC is cool too.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hearing his contract hit can be lowered to approx 30M after restructuring to consummate a trade. As far as assets to obtain Rodgers, I"m not willing to pay but was simply throwing it out there. I am a roll with Howell guy for now as I see no other alternative for us immediately.
I don't disagree, but any restructuring will necessarily mean back-ending such a deal. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not when that future comes. I also think that unless they have some trade in mind Howell must be given every opportunity to earn the job, but real equivalent competition is also a must if that is the plan. To be clear, I am not in favor of handing Howell the keys to the car so to speak, if he wins it in honest competition, so be it.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but any restructuring will necessarily mean back-ending such a deal. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not when that future comes. I also think that unless they have some trade in mind Howell must be given every opportunity to earn the job, but real equivalent competition is also a must if that is the plan. To be clear, I am not in favor of handing Howell the keys to the car so to speak, if he wins it in honest competition, so be it.
Would Howell be given a fair chance by Rivera if say, Garappolo was brought in or any other vet of that calibur?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR's ability to manage the QB position has been pretty slipshod

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always be in favor of doing what you need to do to get a true franchise QB. The history of the league makes it perfectly clear that it's very difficult to win a Super Bowl and be in contention year after year without one. All you need to do is see what a guy like Joe Burrow can do He went to a terrible organization and played behind the worst OL in the league and nearly won the whole thing. Now their window is as long as he is in their uniform.

With that said I think they owe it to themselves to see what they have in Sam Howell. He is not a typica 5th rounder, a year earlier he was a Heisman candidate and a top 10 pick. Then he lost his weapons and protection, but the potential is still there.
They have to be really special nowadays to compete year in and year out with the type of contracts they give to elite QBs. I see similar things for the chiefs and bengals when they have to pay their qb 50 mil a year as to Geen Bay after they paid Rodgers.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Howell be given a fair chance by Rivera if say, Garappolo was brought in or any other vet of that calibur?
I don't think so based on his history here, and that's one reason why I'm against trading for a QB like Jimmy G. They drafted Howell for a reason, then started him for that same purpose. Now think about that for a moment and try to put yourself in Howell's shoes after RR publicly stated that Howell will be the starter in 2023.

Confidence shaken at least a little!!!

OTOH, if they do decide to trade or draft and there's a QB with major upside ( I know subjective and a very remote possibility) but is young talented, and able to force Howell to step up his game (real competition) that is a different message. It's unlike RR but hey, people change, sometimes. Now, about my contradiction regarding upgrading which must always be the case, it, (upgrading) doesn't happen in a vacuum, you always upgrade with the purpose centered on its long-term effect and not as some sort of stop-gap move. The goal, for those of us keeping score, is winning championships, remaining relevant, and not being mediocre, or backing into the playoffs.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to be really special nowadays to compete year in and year out with the type of contracts they give to elite QBs. I see similar things for the chiefs and bengals when they have to pay their qb 50 mil a year as to Geen Bay after they paid Rodgers.
If Kansas City wins it all and that's still a question that remains unanswered, Patrick Mahomes will be the first QB in the salary cap era to win one with a top-end contract like his. He is slated to make 45M per year on average, with an average cap hit of 41.95M each year until 2031. (He'll be 36) The Kansas City accounting people knew what they were doing despite it all because as a percentage of their cap Mahomes will only count roughly 2.4% of their cap allocation.

1675141587509.png

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so based on his history here, and that's one reason why I'm against trading for a QB like Jimmy G. They drafted Howell for a reason, then started him for that same purpose. Now think about that for a moment and try to put yourself in Howell's shoes after RR publicly stated that Howell will be the starter in 2023.

Confidence shaken at least a little!!!

OTOH, if they do decide to trade or draft and there's a QB with major upside ( I know subjective and a very remote possibility) but is young talented, and able to force Howell to step up his game (real competition) that is a different message. It's unlike RR but hey, people change, sometimes. Now, about my contradiction regarding upgrading which must always be the case, it, (upgrading) doesn't happen in a vacuum, you always upgrade with the purpose centered on its long-term effect and not as some sort of stop-gap move. The goal, for those of us keeping score, is winning championships, remaining relevant, and not being mediocre, or backing into the playoffs.
One QB that comes to mind and of the same mold that could push Howell would be Minshew.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. But what is the cost to acquire a Grappolo? A first? couple of seconds? That could be your stud LT that could anchor the line for a decade you just gave up. And remember, grappolo was determine as not good enough by Kyle, they drafted LAnce hoping to replace him. So that is more of the same failed strategy that keeps us mediocre. We are hoping to solve our problems with players in someone else’s trash heap. Draft picks are like gold in the the modern NFL. We have to stop wasting them on players who haven’t proved they are worth it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. But what is the cost to acquire a Grappolo? A first? couple of seconds? That could be your stud LT that could anchor the line for a decade you just gave up. And remember, grappolo was determine as not good enough by Kyle, they drafted LAnce hoping to replace him. So that is more of the same failed strategy that keeps us mediocre. We are hoping to solve our problems with players in someone else’s trash heap. Draft picks are like gold in the the modern NFL. We have to stop wasting them on players who haven’t proved they are worth it.
Grap is a FA

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grap is a FA
OK. That is a bit different. My biggest objection is the giving up of young talent thru the draft. we wanna bring in a grap, or a mayfield, etc. for completion i'm all for it.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to get key pieces in free agency and draft extremely well I hope they trade down somewhere and gain a bunch of picks

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G used as an example. No longer want him here. He would be hurt by game 4, no thanks.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing AR12 would be something RR would do