• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Q on Time Outs, End of Game [e.g. Les Miles]

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND ran for a 1st Down to the LSU 14 yard line with ~35 seconds left. LSU had 2 Time Outs left.
ND runs one more play for no gain to set up the FG attempt on the left hash.

LSU decides to save their 2 Time Outs to ice the kicker. Why?

Why not use the time outs to make ND run more plays?
ND might have a false start which would make them lose 5 yards to make the FG attempt tougher.
ND might hold which pushes them back 10 yards.
Hell, ND might scramble and lose ground, fumble, etc.

Why save the TO's?

I'd like to just blame Les Miles' game clock skills, but I've seen many coaches pull this move. Lloyd Carr comes to mind.

ArrogantBAMAFan

Built by BAMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU and timeouts in the same sentence? Yea, ok... What's your real question?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND ran for a 1st Down to the LSU 14 yard line with ~35 seconds left. LSU had 2 Time Outs left.
ND runs one more play for no gain to set up the FG attempt on the left hash.

LSU decides to save their 2 Time Outs to ice the kicker. Why?

Why not use the time outs to make ND run more plays?
ND might have a false start which would make them lose 5 yards to make the FG attempt tougher.
ND might hold which pushes them back 10 yards.
Hell, ND might scramble and lose ground, fumble, etc.

Why save the TO's?

I'd like to just blame Les Miles' game clock skills, but I've seen many coaches pull this move. Lloyd Carr comes to mind.

I agree I've never been a fan of icing the kicker. It would be a more sound strategy to utilize your time outs in the most beneficial manner to your team. LSU had much more to gain killing the clock and potentially forcing plays. But I don't think clock management was miles only mistake or his most costly mistake . Albeit I do think the ball crossed the plain on the disallowed td at the end of the first it was a poor choice by miles regardless. If you're going to go for it on fourth put the ball in fournettes hands. Or better yet don't chance it kick and kick the field goal. Miles took what would have been an easy 3 points off the board that proved to be very costly in the outcome. He managed playing the odds and his numbers poorly altogether

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why save the TO's?
Good question. The better strategy (in my opinion, which arguably counts for very little) is to expend the timeouts in order to force the other team to either get a first down or give you the ball back with a chance for a hail mary. It is a slim chance, but it is better than simply rolling the dice on the kick failing. it's all about leaving yourself some outs based on the complete spectrum of possible outcomes.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree I've never been a fan of icing the kicker. It would be a more sound strategy to utilize your time outs in the most beneficial manner to your team. LSU had much more to gain killing the clock and potentially forcing plays. But I don't think clock management was miles only mistake or his most costly mistake . Albeit I do think the ball crossed the plain on the disallowed td at the end of the first it was a poor choice by miles regardless. If you're going to go for it on fourth put the ball in fournettes hands. Or better yet don't chance it kick and kick the field goal. Miles took what would have been an easy 3 points off the board that proved to be very costly in the outcome. He managed playing the odds and his numbers poorly altogether

Meh, worked for Sark. Maybe Les needs Sark to teach him how to properly ice the kicker?:noidea:

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Les Miles' clock (mis)management?

probably would be easier to explain how magnets work

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff