• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Punting categories??

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners often punt categories, is it ever a good strategy on draft day??

In head to head categorie leagues, placing doesnt matter all that matters is whether you win or lose a category, so punting one or more categories might not be bad if you are extremely strong in more than half the categories... But of course you have to be careful... the good thing about head to head is that it is easier to adapt week to week to counter your opponents strengths and weaknesses... so i dont believe it is a terrible strategy to punt a category...

In rotisserie placing matters so the answer is more difficult... You should not punt a category unless you are elite in the other categories... But how can you guarantee to be elite in the other categories... The most common punted categories are SB and saves, but what is not realized by doing this is that most owners draft teams with power and strikeouts as their strength since that is considered the best players... so how can you guarantee to be elite at the categories that everyone is strong at?? I would say if you are to punt a category it would be foolish to punt SBs or saves for that reason...

In basic 5X5 i would think that the best category to punt is HRs(even though that means you are likely also punting RBIs) reason why is because it is easier to be elite in all other categories- not just elite but can also be unstoppable if done correctly...

Basically the moral is that punting a category is dangerous, and you should not do it unless you are confident enough in the rest of your team... But i do think that it could be pulled off, i am just not sure if i have the balls to do it...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never punt, especially offensive cats. Punting saves is more of a forced issue though in leagues that allow you to draft more than two, for those that get stuck without any.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy in my $ league (5x5 roto) punted 2 categories last year. He had 0 SPs and loaded up on top closers and offense in the draft. At the trade deadline, he was able to accumulate a big enough lead over the 3rd place team in saves, that he traded all his closers for more offense.

The end result:

He finished top 3 in every hitting category and top 2 in most. He finished top 2 in ERA, WHIP and Saves and dead last by a mile in wins and Ks.

I ended up beating him by .5 points after a wild final week surge. His crazy strategy was good enough for a 2nd place finish and almost won him the title. So much for not punting in roto leagues.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy in my $ league (5x5 roto) punted 2 categories last year. He had 0 SPs and loaded up on top closers and offense in the draft. At the trade deadline, he was able to accumulate a big enough lead over the 3rd place team in saves, that he traded all his closers for more offense.

The end result:

He finished top 3 in every hitting category and top 2 in most. He finished top 2 in ERA, WHIP and Saves and dead last by a mile in wins and Ks.

I ended up beating him by .5 points after a wild final week surge. His crazy strategy was good enough for a 2nd place finish and almost won him the title. So much for not punting in roto leagues.

Interesting strategy... especially since closers typically are difficult to trade... But like i said, i actually dont see punting to be a bad strategy, you just have to be careful... and i am convinced that the worst categories to punt are the 2 most common SBs and Saves...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting strategy... especially since closers typically are difficult to trade... But like i said, i actually dont see punting to be a bad strategy, you just have to be careful... and i am convinced that the worst categories to punt are the 2 most common SBs and Saves...

Agreed.

He had some big names though. Kimbrel, Holland, Kenley and 3 more average ones.

He traded all 6 of his closers for 3 impact bats in the same trade. The team he dealt to was near the bottom in most offensive cats and was able to gain a bunch of points in the deal.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"There's no punting in baseball!!!"

theres-no-crying-in-baseball-o.gif

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anyone wants to try this punting strategy I do but. its a 5x5 league. Pretty much you punt HR and RBI mostly maybe second to last in RBIs. Pretty much you just draft 8 pitchers with your first 8 picks. 3 closers and 5 starters, you draft your last pitcher anywhere after that. After those first 8 picks you draft guys that are great at hitting for avg stealing bases and scoring runs. ive had good success with this for a couple years. I won a league with it. Also I was pretty much going to finish top 3 every time. Just a thought!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anyone wants to try this punting strategy I do but. its a 5x5 league. Pretty much you punt HR and RBI mostly maybe second to last in RBIs. Pretty much you just draft 8 pitchers with your first 8 picks. 3 closers and 5 starters, you draft your last pitcher anywhere after that. After those first 8 picks you draft guys that are great at hitting for avg stealing bases and scoring runs. ive had good success with this for a couple years. I won a league with it. Also I was pretty much going to finish top 3 every time. Just a thought!

rotisserie or head to head??

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has to be head to head....I don't think you could win roto with essentially punting two categories like he outlined...

Yea, that was a similar strategy that i am doing in the B league... except i just didnt have the balls to draft 8 pitchers in a row... I also think that his 5X5 is with BA and not OBP, because the better OBP guys go faster than the better BA guys...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I guess of course you could, I would never consider punting any scoring cats from the get go. However, at about the 1/3 part of the season, I will start to consider it, but usually only the stolen bases or saves cats.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I guess of course you could, I would never consider punting any scoring cats from the get go. However, at about the 1/3 part of the season, I will start to consider it, but usually only the stolen bases or saves cats.

I'm not a fan of punting either. You can do it more easily in H2H and have success. It's possible in roto, but much more difficult...

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AvG,HR,RBI,R,SB

ERa,WHIP,Wins,Saves, Strikeouts

If you're only getting 2 or 3 points for two categories, that would leave only 8 categories to accumulate about 92 points (95 I think is the average points needed)

92/8 = 11.5 per remaining category = damn tough to do.....

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're only getting 2 or 3 points for two categories, that would leave only 8 categories to accumulate about 92 points (95 I think is the average points needed)

92/8 = 11.5 per remaining category = damn tough to do.....

Well it's a 10 team league. I won my league. With 69 points

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's a 10 team league. I won my league. With 69 points

Wow! That's amazing! You won with only 69% of the points possible!

I'd love to see the roster construction of all the teams in this league!!! Was everyone else trying weird approaches also and so each team had huge disparities between their strengths and weaknesses?

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! That's amazing! You won with only 69% of the points possible!

I'd love to see the roster construction of all the teams in this league!!! Was everyone else trying weird approaches also and so each team had huge disparities between their strengths and weaknesses?

I actually don't think so. It was a standard draft Strategies for most people. I barely squeaked out this league by the way. I had 43/50 points for pitching. 26/50 for hitting so 26+43=69. For hitting I won the SB and AVG categories had 4 points for runs was dead last in HR and RBI

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goal is to get atleast 65/100 points to be competitive and get a top 3 finish with this strategy. This can be risky with some pitching injuries but if that happens, keep your eyes peeled on the waiver wire