• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Projecting AFC Standings - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 1 of 2

Dolphins ahead of Patriots in projected AFC standings - NFL
By Aaron Schatz

With the NFL draft in the rearview mirror, Football Outsiders is ready to move on to projecting the 2015 season. Unfortunately, we're not yet finished building our more complicated forecast, which involves a lot of different variables and a big Monte Carlo simulation.

But when Todd McShay asked us for some projected 2015 records to build his 2015 mock draft, we put together some quick-and-dirty projections that started with Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings (found here) and then applied the usual regression toward the mean that a good or bad team sees from each unit. We then adjusted the projections to account for last year's injury numbers, major free-agent moves and a few other indicators.

Monday, I'll go through the AFC division-by-division and explain why we see certain teams moving up and down in 2015. Tuesday, we'll do the NFC. Each team has a forecasted record, and for those of you seeking a little more detail, a more exact "mean projected wins" number. We also list strength of schedule based on average projected DVOA of next year's 16 opponents, ranked from the hardest (Minnesota is No. 1) to the easiest (Atlanta).

When considering these numbers, remember that this is not the final, official Football Outsiders forecast for 2015, and some of these projections will change between now and the July publication of "Football Outsiders Almanac 2015." Also note that stat projections naturally consider a wide range of possibilities; when you take the average of so many possibilities, all teams end up grouped more towards 8-8 with very few teams listed with double-digit wins or losses. Obviously, the 2015 season will probably have some teams below 5-11 and above 12-4. Projected records may differ slightly from the mock draft article because of a change in rounding mean wins.

One thing you may notice in these projections is that the forecasts for 2015 look a lot like the standings for 2014. Yes, every team enters the season with a chance to win, but in recent years it's been very rare for teams to suddenly go from great to terrible (or vice versa) in just one season. No team has made the Super Bowl the year after having a losing record since the 2003 Carolina Panthers. Since 2006, only 10 teams have either won 10-plus games after two straight years of 10-plus losses (Cleveland 2007, Miami 2008, Kansas City 2010, Detroit 2011, Minnesota 2012 and Washington 2012), or vice versa (Minnesota 2010, Indianapolis 2011, Houston 2013 and Atlanta 2013).

AFC East

Miami Dolphins 11-5 (10.6 mean wins; SOS: 22)
New England Patriots 10-6 (10.2 mean wins, SOS: 25)
Buffalo Bills 8-8 (8.3 mean wins; SOS: 19)
New York Jets 6-10 (5.8 mean wins; SOS: 20)

Your hot sleeper Super Bowl contender for 2015 is the Miami Dolphins. The New England Patriots run away with the AFC East year after year, but our early projections suggest the defending champions will finally get some serious competition in their own division this year.

We're high on the 2015 Dolphins because the 2014 Dolphins were essentially a good team dragged down to 8-8 by dismal special teams (last in the Football Outsiders efficiency ratings) and a difficult schedule. However, special teams are less consistent from year to year than offense or defense, which means the Dolphins are likely to be a lot closer to average in 2015. And like the rest of their division, the Dolphins also get an easier schedule this year, trading the NFC North and AFC West for the NFC East and AFC South.

The Dolphins were pretty good on offense last year -- they ranked in our top 10 -- and average on defense. They did this despite having an above-average number of injuries on both sides of the ball. We don't expect Ryan Tannehill to take a leap into greatness, but the running game will still be strong (second in DVOA behind Seattle last season) and the Dolphins will now anchor their defense with perhaps the most important free agent of the offseason, Ndamukong Suh...

...unless, of course, the most important free agent of the offseason was Darrelle Revis. It's hard not to forecast some decline for the Patriots defense with Revis gone; he was a big part of why the Patriots improved from 20th in defensive DVOA in 2013 to 12th in 2014. New England also got through last season with fewer injuries than most teams; the Patriots are usually one of the league leaders in our adjusted games lost stat, so it's hard to foresee them staying as healthy again in 2015.

The offense will still be strong, and the Pats are the rare team to show consistency in special teams. They've been in the top eight of Football Outsiders' special teams ratings in eight of the past nine years, including fifth last year. Those two parts of the game are enough to keep the Patriots slightly ahead of the Dolphins in their total DVOA projection, which is why McShay's mock draft had the Dolphins picking 29th as if they were to lose the AFC Championship game in Foxborough. However, the four-game suspension earned by Tom Brady for his role in Deflategate reduces the Patriots' chances of winning their first four games enough to make the Dolphins now slight favorites to dethrone New England as AFC East champions.

That suspension also gives a small boost to the Bills, who play New England in Week 2, but not enough to overcome their general offensive problems. The Bills last year had a bad offense and a great, underrated defense. Now that Rex Ryan is in charge, they are likely to have a bad offense and a great, properly rated defense. As for Ryan's old squad, we do forecast that the return of Revis will help raise the Jets' defense back to average, but the front seven is unlikely to stay as healthy as it did a year ago. And it is hard to forecast a lot of scoring from the Jets when the quarterbacks are still subpar and veteran receiver additions (such as Brandon Marshall) don't have a strong history of turning around bad offenses.

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens: 9-7 (9.0 mean wins; SOS: 14)
Pittsburgh Steelers: 8-8 (8.4 mean wins; SOS: 3)

Cincinnati Bengals: 8-8 (7.5 mean wins; SOS: 6)
Cleveland Browns: 5-11 (5.0 mean wins; SOS: 7)

The conventional narrative says that three AFC North teams rode into the 2014 playoffs thanks in part to an easy schedule built on the two South divisions. That's partially true; Pittsburgh and Baltimore ranked 29th and 30th in average DVOA of opponent last season. However, the AFC North teams were also pretty good even after adjusting for opponent strength. Baltimore finished fifth in overall DVOA, Pittsburgh was eighth and Cincinnati was 12th.

If those teams carry over that same performance, they are still going to end up with fewer wins because the schedule gets much harder this year. Instead of the South divisions, these teams get the two West divisions in 2015. They still each play one team from the AFC South, and those games actually make a big difference in the projected mean wins, because Baltimore gets to play Jacksonville while Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have to face Indianapolis and Houston, respectively. (All three of these games are home games for the AFC North teams.)

These teams are also likely to deal with more injuries this year. The Steelers had the fewest offensive adjusted games lost of any team last season and the Bengals were abnormally healthy on defense. The Ravens were actually a little healthier than average on both sides of the ball, though it was hard to tell because all the defensive injuries seemed to be grouped at a single position (cornerback).

The Browns may have a reasonable defense again, but they are handing their offense to Josh McCown, who led a Tampa offense that finished dead last in offensive DVOA in 2014.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2 of 2

AFC South

Indianapolis Colts: 10-6 (10.1 mean wins; SOS: 29)
Houston Texans: 8-8 (7.6 mean wins; SOS: 28)
Tennessee Titans: 7-9 (6.7 mean wins; SOS: 30)

Jacksonville Jaguars: 6-10 (5.7 mean wins; SOS: 26)

The AFC South is becoming the shampoo, rinse, repeat division. Once again, we are projecting the Colts to overcome some of their roster holes to win the division thanks to great quarterback play and an easy schedule. The Colts made a number of big free-agent signings this offseason, but things like "32-year-old running back" and "aging future Hall of Fame receiver replacing another aging future Hall of Fame receiver" don't really move the projection needle. Adding an elite pass-rusher does, but does Trent Cole really qualify for that designation after just 14.5 sacks in the past two seasons?

Houston should be healthier on defense, and we would all love to see a full season of Jadeveon Clowney, but the Texans are still trying to cobble together an offense out of DeAndre Hopkins, a 29-year-old Arian Foster, and scraps.

Our projections see the Titans returning to mediocrity after their dismal 2-14 record in 2014. We're used to the Titans running on a hamster wheel of unexciting 7-9 seasons, and at least this mediocrity will come with hope instead of boredom, thanks to the excellent projection Marcus Mariota got from our QBASE system. This projection may also be a little high, as our numbers don't know that the spread-centric Mariota will probably need a couple of seasons to fully adapt his talents to the NFL game.

The Jaguars are adding a lot of pieces on offense, with second-round running back T.J. Yeldon and free-agent tight end Julius Thomas joining a stable of talented Class of 2014 wide receivers who should improve in their sophomore years. Without significant improvement from the quarterback and the offensive line, the Jaguars are likely still doomed to last place. Losing first-round pick Dante Fowler Jr. to a torn ACL on his first day of rookie minicamp doesn't help.

AFC West

Denver Broncos: 10-6 (10.0 mean wins; SOS: 9)
Kansas City Chiefs: 9-7 (8.9 mean wins; SOS: 12)
San Diego Chargers: 9-7 (8.5 mean wins; SOS: 10)
Oakland Raiders: 5-11 (4.9 mean wins; SOS: 8)

It's hard to figure out the best way to project the Broncos' offense in 2015. Historically, veteran quarterbacks who see a significant decline in the second half of a season rarely carry that decline over into the following year. The forecast system looks at the entire 2014 Denver season and still sees one of the top offenses in the NFL. Subjectively, we know that Peyton Manning had real problems in the second half of the year. But is that due to injuries that are now healed, or a decline we can expect to continue because of his advanced age?

Manning aside, we know that the Broncos were extremely healthy during the 2014 regular season, ranking fourth in adjusted games lost on offense and sixth on defense. A strong probability that the Broncos will have more important injuries in 2015 drops them both on offense and defense, but not enough to drop out of the projected top spot in the AFC West.

Kansas City and San Diego both ended up at 9-7 last year, but our ratings had the Chiefs (10th) a bit higher than the Chargers (16th). That gap closes a little in the projections because the Chiefs lose a home game to London and because they are unlikely to be quite as good in special teams again (they finished third in our ratings). Both teams are likely to get a break from better health in 2015. The Chargers led the league in offensive adjusted games lost -- they started five different guys at center, remember -- while the Chiefs had more injuries than average on both sides of the ball.

When we did this a year ago, we predicted the Raiders would be the worst team in the league and have the hardest schedule. They ended up as the 29th-ranked team in the league, with the hardest schedule. They also had to deal with more defensive injuries (by adjusted games lost) than any other team. There's some strong young talent on the defense, and with better health, that unit could be above average in 2015. Alas, we don't forecast the same improvement from the offense, so the overall picture for the Raiders is still bleak.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pats go 4-0 or 3-1 with jimmy, still win the division...again. (pending the appeal)

miami is still miami...tannehill is ridiculously overrated.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are projecting Raiders as the worst team in AFC with 5 losses.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC playoff projection

1st seed - MIA

2nd/3rd seed - IND and DEN
4th seed - BAL
5th seed - NE
6th seed - KC

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC playoff projection

1st seed - MIA

2nd/3rd seed - IND and DEN
4th seed - BAL
5th seed - NE
6th seed - KC

Put the blunt down and back away slowly from the keyboard before you hurt yourself.:crazy:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put the blunt down and back away slowly from the keyboard before you hurt yourself.:crazy:

WOW!!!!!
I thought is was plain as day Iowa was just putting team in order of how the projections came out.

Are all Patriot fans as sensitive as you, or are you just an overly sensitive baby?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW!!!!!
I thought is was plain as day Iowa was just putting team in order of how the projections came out.

Are all Patriot fans as sensitive as you, or are you just an overly sensitive baby?

And you actually buy into those projections? He didn't post it because he refutes it, he posted it because he agrees no?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you actually buy into those projections? He didn't post it because he refutes it, he posted it because he agrees no?

Ummm, no. I don't agree with every ESPN Insider article I post. Some of them (mostly other sports or asked to post) I don't even read but I figured others would.

I think NE will win the East, but might not get 1st round bye.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm, no. I don't agree with every ESPN Insider article I post. Some of them (mostly other sports or asked to post) I don't even read but I figured others would.

Ok fair enough.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC EAST

Patriots' first 4 games - vs PIT, @ BUF, vs JAX, @DAL
Dolphins' first 4 games - @ WAS, @ CAR, vs ATL, vs TB

I think Pats will have no trouble against Jags and Bills, even without Brady. Bills offense got stronger, but they will still have to play against Pats defense. Pats defense is still elite, so they could go 4-0.

I am not sold on Dolphins, yet. I see 2 wins in those 4 games. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if BUF finishes above Miami, but I still have NE winning division.

AFC NORTH

I kind of agree with what he has. I think it will be a 3-way race between BAL, PIT, CIN. I would favor BAL or PIT.

AFC SOUTH

I agree with the team order. He has the Colts having the 29th toughest SOS and only winning 10 games. If they do have 29th toughest, I could see them winning 13+ and being #1 seed.

AFC WEST

I can't really argue him. Their schedules are difficult. Denver is the team to beat. KC is right there though.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is if Brady does serve 4 weeks.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would just like to thank you for taking time to post these for us. :thumb:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami's not getting the 1st seed in the AFC, think they might win the division though.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami's not getting the 1st seed in the AFC, think they might win the division though.

Yeah have to agree with this in there are still the Broncos and Colts who have much more history of winning lots of games and throw in premier quarterbacks. I would put my trust in those two teams to win the AFC best record compared to that of Miami who hasn't been to the playoffs since 2008. Now I do think Miami stands a good chance of making the playoffs this upcoming season but until they win their own division first I just don't see how you can have them ranked above the others.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah have to agree with this in there are still the Broncos and Colts who have much more history of winning lots of games and throw in premier quarterbacks. I would put my trust in those two teams to win the AFC best record compared to that of Miami who hasn't been to the playoffs since 2008. Now I do think Miami stands a good chance of making the playoffs this upcoming season but until they win their own division first I just don't see how you can have them ranked above the others.

I wouldn't touch either team in terms of laying any cash on them but on paper, the Dolphins should be a better team actually the entire DIV aside from NE got better on paper.

My AFC picks

E...really hard to trust any other team to win this DIV, but this might be the year someone other than NE wins the east.

1. NE 10-6
2. MIA 9-7
3. BUF 9-7
4. NYJ 9-7

S...Colts are stacking the deck...Texans are not ready yet...should see some growth with JAX...imo TN took a step backwards...hopefully to take 2 steps forward.

1. IND 10-6
2. HOU 9-7
3. JAX 8-8
4. TN 6-10

N...the North will again be a hard fought DIV...I'm going the homer route, but not w/o some tangible thoughts...The Steelers need to find some pass rush, and the back end of the DEF has to develop quickly. Ravens and Bengals obviously will be in the hunt. Browns...still need to sort out the QB spot.

1. PIT 10-6
2. BAL 9-7
3. CIN 9-7
4. CLE 8-8

W...Broncos have the best OFC, and enough DEF...the questions will be what do they do once they get to the playoffs.

1. DEN 10-6
2. KC 9-7
3. SD 9-7
4. OAK 8-8

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't really have any disagreements with what you have said. I do think the AFC East looks to be about as competitive as they have been in years so it wouldn't surprise me to see them have a new champion crowned. I also know though that BB seems to do his best coaching when he can rally the team around the idea that it is us verse the world. Really at this point the Colts and Broncos are the only two in the AFC that I would feel comfortable saying for sure make the playoffs. I could see all but the Browns winning the North (just have no trust in Johnny Football). I do like what some of the AFC South teams have done to close the gap with Indy but at this point Indy is still the only team with any kind of quarterback so until another team shows some development at that position I just can't see Indy losing that division. Denver I have a few doubts about in the sense that Manning did regress this past year at the end of the year and they have a whole new coaching staff so it could allow for another team to sneak by the Broncos but at this point still have to go with what I know in Manning hasn't missed the playoffs in years and is almost a lock to win 10 games every year. I can't see KC or SD getting to that 10 game spot.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shocked the Pats aren't predicted for last.