• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Preseason Game 1: Sharks @ Canucks - on CSNCA 7:30

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
line up for tonight's game

Hertl - Tierney - Wingels
Nieto - Smith - Goodrow
Goldobin - Carpenter - Meier
Sadowy - Lerg - Brown

Dillon - Tennyson
Mueller - DeMelo
Young - Roy

Grosenick
Dell

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
actually, I thought they held their own reasonably well given the lineup differences. The nucks iced a bunch of their top guys like vrbata, edler, Sutter, Higgins, hanson, tanev sbisa... Basically they only held out the twins, hamhuis and a few others.

The sharks left out jumbo, patty, pavs, cooch, and ward up front. Basically their top 4 forwards and 5 of 9. Add in Karlsson out and they only iced 4 of their top 10 forwards in hertl, nieto, wingels, and tierney. On top of that, they rested braun, vlasic, burns, and martin. Basically, it was all the rookies, and kids playing against many of the established vets for the nucks.

I thought several of the sharks looked OK. Sadowy was all over it. the hertl line was respectable. Mueller looked much improved. Not impressed by Roy just yet, and definitely not impressed by dillon. He looks just as bad as he was last year or worse. My expectations for him just crashed....Also unimpressed with goldobin. One preseason game means little, but I would definitely bet that golden boy will be on the cuda.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll have to watch the next one, um curious to see jones in net, nice to see grosenick have a solid showing, I still think he can a Ryan Miller like goalie his play mimics his game greatly

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll have to watch the next one, um curious to see jones in net, nice to see grosenick have a solid showing, I still think he can a Ryan Miller like goalie his play mimics his game greatly

You didn't miss much. It looked just like what it was, the first preseason game of the year.

Just a few observations:

Hertl and Tierney work really well together. They were the best players on the ice for San Jose. Goldobin has some sick hands. He made some stickhandling moves in tight that were just amazing to watch. His play away from the puck was much better as well. It's still not great but definitely improving. Sadowy was on the puck a lot and looked pretty good.

Of the defensemen no one really stood out good or bad which, when talking about dmen, is a good thing. Roy showed he has great vision and puck moving ability but his skating needs to improve. Dillon was easily the best of the bunch in the defensive zone. Stick and body positioning was very, very good. Still handles the puck like it's a live grenade though, very painful to watch. Hopefully the coaching staff recognizes the need to pair him with a versatile puck mover. Maybe why Tennyson and DeMelo are getting a look on his right side.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Donskoi is getting another look with the Joe's tonight against the Yotes. Torres also in the line up.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Donskoi is getting another look with the Joe's tonight against the Yotes. Torres also in the line up.

Nice to see Raffi out there. He makes a HUGE difference on this team.
Really like the forward depth....if Donskoi ends up being a factor this year too, they are pretty stacked on offense. In years past, they were always a good forward short of having 3 really good lines. Maybe that won't be the case this season.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice to see Raffi out there. He makes a HUGE difference on this team.
Really like the forward depth....if Donskoi ends up being a factor this year too, they are pretty stacked on offense. In years past, they were always a good forward short of having 3 really good lines. Maybe that won't be the case this season.

He's showing some really good chemistry with the Joe's so far. It's night and day difference from last season to think they could actually ice four lines that can play hockey and contribute at both ends of the ice.