• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preliminary top 25 prospect list...

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From minor league ball, nice long detailed list,

Bolded a couple I found interesting

1) Jurickson Profar, SS, Grade A: He does everything except .300, and he might do that someday. His performance was all the more remarkable given how young he is. A truly elite talent.

2) Martin Perez, LHP, Grade B+: I think he's been pushed too quickly, but all the talent to be a number two or three starter is still there.

3) Leonys Martin, OF, Grade B: Should have a long career due to defense and speed, but I'm not confident enough in his bat to stick a "+" on his grade just yet.

4) Mike Olt, 3B, Grade B: Good power, draws walks, very strong defensive player. Main worry here is high strikeout rate but I expect he will adapt.

5) Rougned Odor, 2B, Grade B: You can make a case to rank him as high as number three. He held his own at age 17 against older pitchers in the Northwest League, quite an achievement.

6) Robert Ross, LHP, Grade B: Remained effective after promotion to Double-A, which is a very good sign. Doesn't have as high a ceiling as some other arms in the system, but also has a higher floor. Possible number three or four starter.

7) Neil Ramirez, RHP, Grade B: Held his own in Triple-A until sore shoulder issue sent him back to previously-skipped Double-A level for rehab. A breakout candidate who broke out.

8) Cody Buckel, RHP, Grade B: Can't argue with Low-A results, great feel for pitching, terrific makeup, excellent statistics. Mid-rotation projection.

9) Roman Mendez, RHP, Grade B: Seems like he deserves more attention than he gets. Owns plus stuff and showed considerably better command this year. Mid-rotation projection.

10) Christian Villanueva, 3B, Grade B-: Signee out of Mexico plays above his tools but does it very well, produces power and speed, sharp defensive skills at third base. Will have to see if plate discipline holds up.

11) Tanner Scheppers, RHP, Grade B-: Health and command remain issues, but even a small improvement would get him to the majors quickly.

12) Justin Grimm, RHP, Grade B-: Made progress with secondary pitches and command, could be mid-rotation starter or power relief arm.

13) Jorge Alfaro, C, Grade B-: Scouting reports and word-of-mouth are glowing, praising offensive and defensive potential. Somehow he hit .300 with power in the Northwest League despite appalling plate discipline, and he needs a lot of polish on defense. Very young, high-ceiling, high-risk. I can't give a higher grade to a guy with a 4/54 BB/K no matter what the scouting reports say.

14) Will Lamb, LHP, Grade B-: Clemson product making transition to the mound full-time after spending most of college in the outfield. Three potential plus pitches but needs innings to refine them.

15) Jacob Skole, OF, Grade B-: First round pick from 2010 has tools but skills are still raw, had mediocre season in Low-A. Draws walks but strikes out too much.

16) Kevin Matthews, LHP, Grade B-/Borderline C+: Undersized lefty from 2011 draft seems similar to Robert Ross and now-traded Robert Erlin.

17) Nomar Mazara, OF, Grade C+: Earned $5,000,000 bonus out of the Dominican due to his power potential. Most teams think this was too much money since his other tools are just so-so, and not everyone buys that his swing will work, but the Rangers believe. Impossible to grade properly until we get some data to see who is right.

18) Ronald Guzman, OF, Grade C+: Another bonus baby from the Dominican, earned $3,500,000. Like Mazara, Guzman has enormous potential and his tools seem more balanced according to non-Ranger sources, but we have to wait and see.

19) Luke Jackson, RHP, Grade C+: One of my favorite high school pitchers from 2011 draft, but struggled with his command in the Sally League. Give him more time.

20) Odubel Herrera, 2B, Grade C+: Fast, makes contact, young, solid glove, but league observers worry that impatience and lack of power will hinder him at higher levels.

21) Luis Sardinas, SS, Grade C+: Got just as much press as Profar when he signed, but hampered by injuries and barely played. High ceiling with defense and speed.

22) Justin Miller, RHP, Grade C+: Sleeper relief prospect, throws in mid-90s, looked very sharp in the Texas League.

23) Matt West, RHP, Grade C+: Former third baseman converted to mound with stunning results: 35/1 K/BB with a 94 MPH fastball. Could move fast as relief option if he maintains that.

24) Miguel De Los Santos, LHP, Grade C+: Erratic, but still putting up insanely good strikeout numbers.

25) Barret Loux, RHP, Grade C+: Could rank higher but health concerns remain significant. Possible number three starter if his arm remains attached.

OTHERS: Jordan Akins, OF; Engel Beltre, OF; Jacob Brigham, RHP; Yefry Castillo, C; Zach Cone, OF; Kellin Deglan, C; Abel De Los Santos, RHP; Wilmer Font, RHP; Leury Garcia, SS; Kyle Hendricks, RHP; Mike Kirkman, LHP; Luis Marte, SS; Tommy Mendonca, 3B; David Perez, RHP; Jimmy Reyes, LHP; Tomas Telis, C; Nick Tepesch, RHP; Johan Yan, RHP.

Michael Kirkman & Engel Beltre, oh what a fall, should have traded them when we had the chance

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highlight Odor b/c man WHERE did that guy come from, not many prospects sneak up on me like that, especially position prospects

I started to hear about him last year but I didn't think he was #5 prospect good though

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw an article about Olt on the Ranger's page

"The Rangers' No. 7 prospect, Olt leads the AFL with 11 long balls and 38 RBIs in 22 games. He has five homers and 15 RBIs in his last five contests and has hit safely in his last 12."

That's pretty awesome. I wonder if they'd consider moving him to 1B in 2013 if Mitch doesn't pan out.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highlight Odor b/c man WHERE did that guy come from, not many prospects sneak up on me like that, especially position prospects

I started to hear about him last year but I didn't think he was #5 prospect good though

I was thinking Odor was drafted as a SS.

I'm surprised that Rameriz isn't ranked higher considering his rapid advancement last year.

Had to do a double take the first time I saw West's k/bb numbers.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt Odor was drafted as opposed to signed, but I'll assume thats what you meant

I was kind of surprised he was behind Odor (obviously), and Ross, as I think Ramirez just has superior stuff to Ross, as Ross projects as one of those finesse lefties long term, though I have read that he can pump it in there at about 94 at times

But 5 or 7 doesn't really matter in the grand scheme, I think Ramirez's proper placement last year would have been AA, with a late season AAA promotion, which was about the opposite of what happened

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw an article about Olt on the Ranger's page

"The Rangers' No. 7 prospect, Olt leads the AFL with 11 long balls and 38 RBIs in 22 games. He has five homers and 15 RBIs in his last five contests and has hit safely in his last 12."

That's pretty awesome. I wonder if they'd consider moving him to 1B in 2013 if Mitch doesn't pan out.

Strong possibility, just needs to work on striking out less

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt Odor was drafted as opposed to signed, but I'll assume thats what you meant

I was kind of surprised he was behind Odor (obviously), and Ross, as I think Ramirez just has superior stuff to Ross, as Ross projects as one of those finesse lefties long term, though I have read that he can pump it in there at about 94 at times

But 5 or 7 doesn't really matter in the grand scheme, I think Ramirez's proper placement last year would have been AA, with a late season AAA promotion, which was about the opposite of what happened

yep, signed is what I meant.

I read an interesting article on Rameriz late this summer that stated his stuff is pretty close to major league ready except that his change up needs work. Whoever wrote the article thought that he needed a full year of AAA next year.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking Odor was drafted as a SS.

I'm surprised that Rameriz isn't ranked higher considering his rapid advancement last year.

Had to do a double take the first time I saw West's k/bb numbers.

It is Sickels. He is a nice read and puts good effort into it but take it with a grain of salt. He tends give out a lot of C's and C+'s to guys that are going to be no doubt solid MLB players. He tends to be conservative. I think a lot of guys he grades in the B range are actually elite. Might even be the better prospect then the A range guys because these guys always go ga-ga over tools and unrealized potential which is often nothing more than fantasy to start with.

From everything I've read Ramirez is definitely top of the rotation material as he has all the tools. I liked Fosters evaluation. Foster says Ramirez sits in the low 90's and has 95+ on the fastball locates it well, has an above average curve and an above average change. I've read that Ramirez actually hits 97 on a frequent basis.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Profar rated so high? Is he really that nice?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is Sickels. He is a nice read and puts good effort into it but take it with a grain of salt. He tends give out a lot of C's and C+'s to guys that are going to be no doubt solid MLB players. He tends to be conservative. I think a lot of guys he grades in the B range are actually elite. Might even be the better prospect then the A range guys because these guys always go ga-ga over tools and unrealized potential which is often nothing more than fantasy to start with.

From everything I've read Ramirez is definitely top of the rotation material as he has all the tools. I liked Fosters evaluation. Foster says Ramirez sits in the low 90's and has 95+ on the fastball locates it well, has an above average curve and an above average change. I've read that Ramirez actually hits 97 on a frequent basis.

I like that though, people tend to falsely fall in love with a lot of mediocre porspects, keeps some people grounded about these guys

Ramirez's has 2 flaws, needs to work on his changeup, and he's had some injury issues aside from last year, but he's made HUGE strides in the last couple years

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that though, people tend to falsely fall in love with a lot of mediocre porspects, keeps some people grounded about these guys

Ramirez's has 2 flaws, needs to work on his changeup, and he's had some injury issues aside from last year, but he's made HUGE strides in the last couple years

As a baseball fan this is one thing I love about the internet..the ability to follow the careers of these guys on a daily basis from Arizona to Round Rock.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like the conservative ranking for both Guzman and Mazara, make them prove something in the States before annointing them "The One" much like Odor did obviously