• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Predicting where the Top 30 MLB free agents will wind up

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://nypost.com/2016/11/07/predicting-where-top-30-mlb-free-agents-will-wind-up/

Gotta say, it must be a weak ass free agent class if 43 year old Bartolo Colon is the 2nd best SP and 12th best player overall.

The position players aren't so bad. There's some very useful position players like Cespedes, Encarnacion, Turner, Fowler (career year, but I think his offensive improvements are sustainable) and Ian Desmond. The pitching side, however, is ridiculously weak. Jeremy Hellickson got a $17.2M qualifying offer. Enough said. Rich Hill has been very good when he's been on the mound since his September callup in 2015, but this is a guy that's thrown under 300 innings since 2007. Hill could certainly help, but he's not a guy I would want to rely on turning my team into a contender.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The position players aren't so bad. There's some very useful position players like Cespedes, Encarnacion, Turner, Fowler (career year, but I think his offensive improvements are sustainable) and Ian Desmond. The pitching side, however, is ridiculously weak. Jeremy Hellickson got a $17.2M qualifying offer. Enough said. Rich Hill has been very good when he's been on the mound since his September callup in 2015, but this is a guy that's thrown under 300 innings since 2007. Hill could certainly help, but he's not a guy I would want to rely on turning my team into a contender.

Good selection of closers at the top end too. But yeah, SP options are shit.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not many good starters available this year, got to think there's going to be lots of teams asking about Chris Sale.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rasmus to the Cardinals again seems very unlikely after getting traded away for rentals and a bag of magic beans.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was kind of surprised the Cubs didn't pick up Hammels option. Maybe they're going with Montgomery. Slim pickings in FA

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Beltran emerging as Red Sox’ top DH target

I'd be alright with Beltran on a one year deal, though I'm not sure he has much left in the tank. He had a very solid year, but his power numbers are kinda propped up by his ridiculous run in May-June. That, and he doesn't really have any OBP skills. I'm worried about a dropoff in OBP from Ortiz (.401) to Beltran (.337), nevermind the power numbers. Beltran has stayed somewhat healthy over the last 5-6 years, so there's that.

Morales is also better than the other internal options IMO, though idk if I'd want him on a multi-year deal.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was kind of surprised the Cubs didn't pick up Hammels option. Maybe they're going with Montgomery. Slim pickings in FA

Maybe the episode between him and Maddon played a role? They have the pieces to acquire another SP.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the episode between him and Maddon played a role? They have the pieces to acquire another SP.
Yeah I just get nervous trading away pieces. We already gave the Yanks a haul for what was likely a rental that I'm not even sure we needed. If you want a SP that's better than 15-8 with a mid 3s ERA you're going to need to give up a ton.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if AZ gets calls on Greinke since the FA market for SP's is thin.

Either way, I just hope our new FO picks a clear direction.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be alright with Beltran on a one year deal, though I'm not sure he has much left in the tank. He had a very solid year, but his power numbers are kinda propped up by his ridiculous run in May-June. That, and he doesn't really have any OBP skills. I'm worried about a dropoff in OBP from Ortiz (.401) to Beltran (.337), nevermind the power numbers. Beltran has stayed somewhat healthy over the last 5-6 years, so there's that.

Morales is also better than the other internal options IMO, though idk if I'd want him on a multi-year deal.

No thank you... even as a dh... I just don't think he has much left and I would prefer a dh who could actually run... Granted hitting homers you don't need to run

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

???

I thought Sandoval was going to be Pappi's replacement?

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Madman said Montgomery will be the 5th starter next season. Now they just need to figure out what to do with the billion dollar baby in Heyward.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Madman said Montgomery will be the 5th starter next season. Now they just need to figure out what to do with the billion dollar baby in Heyward.
I'm fine giving Heyward time. Guy had the worst offensive year of his career by A LOT. My guess is it was an anomaly and he will be back to normal next year. Guys only 26 so it's not like he's pass his prime. Now if next year goes like this year then you've got a real concern

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine giving Heyward time. Guy had the worst offensive year of his career by A LOT. My guess is it was an anomaly and he will be back to normal next year. Guys only 26 so it's not like he's pass his prime. Now if next year goes like this year then you've got a real concern

We over paid him to begin with. He never had a season batting over .300, 30 HR's or 100 RBI's. Yes he had solid defense but you don't pay a man that's been a slightly above avg hitter for his career 22 mil a year. At most he was maybe worth a little more than what we gave Zorbrist who out performed him by a landslide this season. We can't have this guy holding us back for much longer. He did nothing in the postseason except his game 7 rain delay speech and was a bench player in the reg season. If he fails again next year he's gone. He will be 28 next year actually. That's the middle of the prime of his career and he's playing like dog shit.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We over paid him to begin with. He never had a season batting over .300, 30 HR's or 100 RBI's. Yes he had solid defense but you don't pay a man that's been a slightly above avg hitter for his career 22 mil a year. At most he was maybe worth a little more than what we gave Zorbrist who out performed him by a landslide this season. We can't have this guy holding us back for much longer. He did nothing in the postseason except his game 7 rain delay speech and was a bench player in the reg season. If he fails again next year he's gone. He will be 28 next year actually. That's the middle of the prime of his career and he's playing like dog shit.
Yep. Next year is the key. I'm fine with .280 and 20 HR or so. His D plus those kind of numbers would be fine by me. The problem is that you're going to have to pick up the majority of the contract if you trade him so it's worth giving him more time

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all of them to the Mariners for league min :yes:

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest FA in MLB history right now is Shohei Otani. The dude might get a 300 mil contract. He can either hit for 40+ HR's and bat .300+ and win MVP or be a full time pitcher and win the Cy Young and the MVP. Cubs should lock him up and drop Hammel.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has even mentioned Chapman. He would modify the spread in the NL-C by 5 games if he signed with the Cardinals.