• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Predict Rollins' production in 2014

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Lee had 24 QSs. Hamels with 25 meant that the Phils had a solid 1-2 starting staff. When you look at Hamels' game log, you can see that he had a terrific year despite the high ERA.

1. 12 of Hamels QSs were Phils' wins - he won 8 but had No Decisions on 4.
2. 13 of Hamels QSs were Phils' losses - he lost 7 and had No Decisions on 6. 8 games were low scores he could have won - two 2-0 losses, three 2-1 losses, two 3-2 losses). Poor BP and run support are the factors.
3. Hamels did not pitch well in 7 games the Phils lost and he took the loss in all 7.
4. Hamels had 7 of the Phils' 27 1-run losses.

Therefore Hamels got screwed in 2013. His record will reverse in 2014 if he's on again, and the BP and hitting improve which I think will happen.

I know Hamels had a good year. I just don't use clown statistics to come to that conclusion.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Facial hair
  2. Beer consumption
  3. Knowledge of local strip clubs on away games.

This sounds like the criteria for measuring the Braves rotation.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Facial hair
  2. Beer consumption
  3. Knowledge of local strip clubs on away games.

I was going to suggest they sign Rod Beck, but then I did a quick search and it turns out he died a few years ago. I guess there are risks associated with being an elite closer.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the Halos are looking to move Mike Trout but teams are concerned with his lack of career home runs-62.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And your clown conclusion is........even if he got 10 runs a game, he still would have lost 14. ..Trade the bum, what's he good for.

I never made any statement that even came close to what is posted above. I was obviously being sarcastic when I said that Hamels had a bad year because of his W-L record, his ERA, and how many quality starts he had. Quality starts are the biggest joke of a statistic... possibly worse than your favorite, RISP. A pitcher can achieve a quality start by pitching 6 innings and allowing 3 earned runs, but yet a pitcher who pitches 5 and 2/3 innings without allowing a run will not get the quality start. You tell me who pitched better.

As for the rest of Hamels' 2013 season, he pitched just about the same as he has his whole career. His FIP was even lower, his WHIP was just a tad higher, and he pitched more innings in 2013 compared to 2012. The only real dip was his his ERA+ which was 106, still a very respectable number. His WAR total of 4.2 was tied for 20th best among starting pitchers in all of baseball. So to say he had a bad year (like the original poster stated) is completely retarded.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never made any statement that even came close to what is posted above. I was obviously being sarcastic when I said that Hamels had a bad year because of his W-L record, his ERA, and how many quality starts he had. Quality starts are the biggest joke of a statistic... possibly worse than your favorite, RISP. A pitcher can achieve a quality start by pitching 6 innings and allowing 3 earned runs, but yet a pitcher who pitches 5 and 2/3 innings without allowing a run will not get the quality start. You tell me who pitched better.

As for the rest of Hamels' 2013 season, he pitched just about the same as he has his whole career. His FIP was even lower, his WHIP was just a tad higher, and he pitched more innings in 2013 compared to 2012. The only real dip was his his ERA+ which was 106, still a very respectable number. His WAR total of 4.2 was tied for 20th best among starting pitchers in all of baseball. So to say he had a bad year (like the original poster stated) is completely retarded.

The stats I cited are from Hamels' game log and meaningful. You can't say he would not have won more games if he gotten the run support he needed. The 2 cases you suggested happen sometimes but in the long run things even out for a pitcher and the QS matters most of the time.

The fact remains that Hamels mostly put the Phillies in a situation to win. That's what a QS is all about. He blew 7 games of his 33 starts. So 26 times he put the Phillies in a situation to win. 12 times they did and he only got 8 wins. 13 times he got poor run support, lost 7, and had No Decisions in 6 games. It's his fault he lost a few of those games with his BBs and ERA, but my conclusion is logical that he could have won more games maybe 4 whatever.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stats I cited are from Hamels' game log and meaningful. You can't say he would not have won more games if he gotten the run support he needed. The 2 cases you suggested happen sometimes but in the long run things even out for a pitcher and the QS matters most of the time.

The fact remains that Hamels mostly put the Phillies in a situation to win. That's what a QS is all about. He blew 7 games of his 33 starts. So 26 times he put the Phillies in a situation to win. 12 times they did and he only got 8 wins. 13 times he got poor run support, lost 7, and had No Decisions in 6 games. It's his fault he lost a few of those games with his BBs and ERA, but my conclusion is logical that he could have won more games maybe 4 whatever.

Didn't read, but if your bottom line is that counting wins as a way for measuring a pitcher is stupid, then I concur.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read, but if your bottom line is that counting wins as a way for measuring a pitcher is stupid, then I concur.

Reading is a requirement for education. I'm moving on. Must cycle milk thru the system in preparation for tomorrow's game at LFF. It will be fucken cold so drunk and hot cheese steaks will be requirements.
:suds: