• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Pre-Season game 1 at Colts

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1:30 EST live on NFL network.

We will get a look at the rookies and see what we got. I want to see Storm Norton and Alex Barrett. Both undrafted with a lot of potential. Also That Veloaga kid from UNLV could make it too.

Norton will be at RT in place of Wagner. Barrett, who is very Dwight Freeney like, will start in place of Ziggy.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford had one drive that ended in an interception around mid-field. Jake Rudock to Kenny Golladay for two touchdowns. Matt Prater 1-2 on field goals. Defense was doing a good job collapsing the pocket during the first half.

Halftime...
Lions 17
Colts 03

Injuries...
DE Kerry Hyder went down on his own and carted off the field.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford had one drive that ended in an interception around mid-field. Jake Rudock to Kenny Golladay for two touchdowns. Matt Prater 1-2 on field goals. Defense was doing a good job collapsing the pocket during the first half.

Halftime...
Lions 17
Colts 03

Injuries...
DE Kerry Hyder went down on his own and carted off the field.

Second half was tough to watch. Even the Colts announcers were looking for something else to talk about so they wouldnt have to call the game. The Colts sucked. Lions were steady but not spectacular.

Offense was not good other than Rudock, Golladay and White Thunder. Roberts was awful. O-line was less than stellar but surprisingly it was the interior line that struggled more than the tackles.

Defense was actually solid. The Line did get pressure. Both Rookies and Zettel played very well which is a relief because Hyder is most likely done for the season. It looks like he tore his Achilles where it connects to the gastroc. A'shawn is going to be a beast.

The LBs looked fast for a change and covered well. it may be a strength instead of a weakness going forward. DBs were pretty good too. Alex Carter at safety looked to be right at home at that position.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second half was tough to watch. Even the Colts announcers were looking for something else to talk about so they wouldnt have to call the game. The Colts sucked. Lions were steady but not spectacular.

Offense was not good other than Rudock, Golladay and White Thunder. Roberts was awful. O-line was less than stellar but surprisingly it was the interior line that struggled more than the tackles.

Defense was actually solid. The Line did get pressure. Both Rookies and Zettel played very well which is a relief because Hyder is most likely done for the season. It looks like he tore his Achilles where it connects to the gastroc. A'shawn is going to be a beast.

The LBs looked fast for a change and covered well. it may be a strength instead of a weakness going forward. DBs were pretty good too. Alex Carter at safety looked to be right at home at that position.
Ruddock looked good though?

I heard Washington had a couple nice carries. Didn't get to watch anything yet.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the recap of the game and the writer blamed Jones for Staffords pick, but after watching the play I don't agree. Staff led him right into the db, he never stood a chance.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the recap of the game and the writer blamed Jones for Staffords pick, but after watching the play I don't agree. Staff led him right into the db, he never stood a chance.

Two hands on the ball. It wasn't knocked out of his hands or anything. He just alligator armed it a bit, or at least took his eyes off the ball to prepare for the hit. The football you and I grew up watching that was absolutely on the QB. In today's NFL where you can't even touch a WR making that catch, it's absolutely on Jones to come down with that ball.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caldwell and several players commented on the severity of Hyders injury. So yeah, he's probably done for the year.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even the Colts announcers were looking for something else to talk about so they wouldn't have to call the game. The Colts sucked. Lions were steady but not spectacular.
Lions got away with quite a few non-calls. Commentators were right about the Colts having a young team and low on the depth department. We just gotta look for the talent before the first cut, cause we probably wont see the Starters too much until the first half of week 4 against the Bills. Maybe week 3 hosting the Patriots but I doubt we'll see them play past the first quarter.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Luck doesn't get on the field.

Indy will be picking top 5. That defense is nothing short of trash. So many missed tackles.

Golladay looked the best. Those catches were very tough. Impressive start. Hopefully he will be replacing Marvin Jones sorry ass soon.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing of significance that happened yesterday was losing Hyder.

Already the worst D-line in the league, it's now possibly one of the worst ever.

Teams will have no fear doubling Ansah on every single play. There's nothing else there.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruddock looked good though?

I heard Washington had a couple nice carries. Didn't get to watch anything yet.

His pocket presence was very good. Took off a few times and made first downs when needed. Accuracy was only average. His arm strength is a little suspect IMO.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Already the worst D-line in the league, it's now possibly one of the worst ever.

Teams will have no fear doubling Ansah on every single play. There's nothing else there.

giphy.gif

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His pocket presence was very good. Took off a few times and made first downs when needed. Accuracy was only average. His arm strength is a little suspect IMO.
Sounds like what he is.

Which I'm cool with as our backup.

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be interesting to see where they turn to replace Hyder. Not much left in FA, Jared Odrick maybe, hopefully there's a decent option cut from another squad. My call for break out player on the entire defensive side is Anthony Zetttel, not just because he is home grown but because he has the mean streak you like in a front 4 guy.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's the pressure coming from?

A'shawn looks like a beast already inside. He finished strong last year and blew up the pocket all day Sunday. Ziggy will be back soon. Washington will be back at DE to replace Zettel on passing downs. 2 very promising DE rookies as well (although Barrett may have to move to SLB now that Copeland is out for the season).

Its not going to be a great line by any stretch, but scheme and faster LBs will help. Whithead was one of our fastest last year and now he is one of our slowest this year because of the 3 additions and departure of Levy. It will make a big difference and give Austin more options.

It will not be the worst in the league thats for sure. Heck, we just played a team with a worse D-line then us.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A'shawn looks like a beast already inside. He finished strong last year and blew up the pocket all day Sunday. Ziggy will be back soon. Washington will be back at DE to replace Zettel on passing downs. 2 very promising DE rookies as well (although Barrett may have to move to SLB now that Copeland is out for the season).

Its not going to be a great line by any stretch, but scheme and faster LBs will help. Whithead was one of our fastest last year and now he is one of our slowest this year because of the 3 additions and departure of Levy. It will make a big difference and give Austin more options.

It will not be the worst in the league thats for sure. Heck, we just played a team with a worse D-line then us.

Your outlook is very optimistic. Did Tpaul hijack your handle?

I don't see it. We just lost our second best pass-rusher from a DL ranked 30th last season. No upgrades of any significance were made to the unit in the offseason. While it's nice to root for 7th round draft picks and undrafted free agents, they're long shots to make any impact.

But hey, I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

* I assume you're implying that more speed in the LB unit means Austin will be willing to blitz them more. He better.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your outlook is very optimistic. Did Tpaul hijack your handle?

I don't see it. We just lost our second best pass-rusher from a DL ranked 30th last season. No upgrades of any significance were made to the unit in the offseason. While it's nice to root for 7th round draft picks and undrafted free agents, they're long shots to make any impact.

But hey, I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

* I assume you're implying that more speed in the LB unit means Austin will be willing to blitz them more. He better.

LOL, no TPaul did not. I agree that I am somewhat optimistic on defense. You are forgetting about Spence and Hill added at DT. Spence is a big upgrade over Tyrunn "Weekday Warrior" Walker. Hill is probably only a slight dropoff from Stefan Charles. A"shawn is going to be a star compared to last year. Losing Hyder will defintely hurt at DE though.

Yes we should be blitzing more now, but we will also be able to get coverage from our LBs so the QBs wont be able to just throw underneith all day. That will give the D-line more time to make plays.

I saw no breakdowns on the D-line in the first half. Second half was not great but those are the 3s and 4s and many of them will not make the team.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Defense sucks the Offense steps up and when the Defense does show up the Offense slacks off. Alex Barrett and Jeremiah Valoago both played well. For the Lions it's all about NEXT YEAR, unlike the Colts GM saying for the Colts it's about THIS YEAR.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Pound the Rock was a JOKE... Next to nothing for a push, which sucks having Running Backs that run a play to the TEE through the Line (forced to wear a leash).