• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Power 5 Conference Testicle Check

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I expect someone to cut and bail hay with a lawnmower. Someone has their jimmies rustled.

or - maybe I grew up with horses and have bailed hay(for money). Also bailed pine straw for money.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scheduling a bye week . Is a completely different animal. From scheduling an FCS team late in the season before a rivalry game. What reason would a team have to do that? And why is the practice of a 9 game conference schedule so scary? It results in higher quality football. With more competitive games

Fact is, our 8 game schedules are more difficult than your 9 game schedules.

If 9 games was so much better, you'd probably be shutting up and enjoying the advantage they bring. Instead, here you are crying about what other people are doing - because 9 game conference schedules are stupid and don't give you any advantage.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scheduling a bye week . Is a completely different animal. From scheduling an FCS team late in the season before a rivalry game. What reason would a team have to do that? And why is the practice of a 9 game conference schedule so scary? It results in higher quality football. With more competitive games

Bama actually gets 2 bye weeks this year. The 1st one on 10/29 & then another on 11/19 when they play FCS powerhouse Chattanooga.:D

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all, because our requests for them not to allow half the SEC to take a bye the week before we play them hasn't been granted.

We did get the Tennessee game back to the 3rd saturday in october again though, rather than Tennessee taking a bye this week.
So it sounds like a school puts in requests in a priority order and the conference office meets them down to a certain point. That makes more sense. I couldn't see any way that every school could get it just like they wanted.

So each school only really schedules how they please regarding the OOC portion. Their conference schedule is not within their total control.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or - maybe I grew up with horses and have bailed hay(for money). Also bailed pine straw for money.
That makes two of us then. I bucked a shitload of hay in the summer. We had an old 1T flatbed that we'd have my little brother drive while it was in granny gear. He'd have use a pillow to sit on to see over the top of the dash and when he wanted to bring it to a stop he'd stand on the brake .. literally. We also had an auger attachment that we used to knock in postholes for people in order to make extra cash on the weekends. I don't miss that sh1t one bit. Nothing worse than being in a hayloft sweating like a pig while having that sh1t stick to your skin and trying to breath through a kerchief.

lastfan

Tenured
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You probably bailed your wife out of prison, but you probably didn't get paid for it.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What reason would a team have to do that?
They don't have enough bye weeks available so they turn to cupcakes. Teams that have multiple difficult games in their schedules want easy games the week prior to those difficult games. If you have four difficultl games and only two byes, sumpin's gotta give.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it sounds like a school puts in requests in a priority order and the conference office meets them down to a certain point. That makes more sense. I couldn't see any way that every school could get it just like they wanted.

So each school only really schedules how they please regarding the OOC portion. Their conference schedule is not within their total control.

As far as going to 9 games, it's a schools vote on it. Last vote was 13-1 opposed to 9 games.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If 9 games was so much better, you'd probably be shutting up and enjoying the advantage they bring. Instead, here you are crying about what other people are doing - because 9 game conference schedules are stupid and don't give you any advantage.
raw

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably bailed your wife out of prison, but you probably didn't get paid for it.

Just because she can kick your ass doesn't mean she learned it in prison.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh I'm not crying I'm displaying logic and facts.And I don't see any facts supporting why a team wouldn't play an extra conference game. Or use an FCS team as an extra bye week. You recently stated expanding the playoffs takes away from the importance of the games played during the regular season. Under that principle would that not imply. That scheduling an FCS team the second to last game of the season. Preceding a rivalry game. As a method to manipulate late season rankings. And gain an extra bye week at such a crucial point in the season.Rather than scheduling FCS teams early in the season as a tune up. And playing an extra meaningful conference game. Takes away from the importance of the regular season?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm not crying I'm displaying logic and facts.And I don't see any facts supporting why a team wouldn't play an extra conference game. Or use an FCS team as an extra bye week. You recently stated expanding the playoffs takes away from the importance of the games played during the regular season. Under that principle would that not imply. That scheduling an FCS team the second to last game of the season. Preceding a rivalry game. As a method to manipulate late season rankings. And gain an extra bye week at such a crucial point in the season.Rather than scheduling FCS teams early in the season as a tune up. And playing an extra meaningful conference game. Takes away from the importance of the regular season?

Well you see, when they decide which teams go to the playoffs, they like to use things like schedule strength to determine which teams deserve to go.

And as it turns out, your 9 game conference schedules ain't doing shit for you.

lastfan

Tenured
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because she can kick your ass doesn't mean she learned it in prison.

You know damn well she sucker punched me from behind. You know, I can forgive that, no problem. But when she fondled my junk while I was dazed, that really crossed the line. So long as you don't blame me for that anymore, you and I can be buds.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama actually gets 2 bye weeks this year. The 1st one on 10/29 & then another on 11/19 when they play FCS powerhouse Chattanooga.:D

You act like we played Rutgers or something.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know damn well she sucker punched me from behind. You know, I can forgive that, no problem. But when she fondled my junk while I was dazed, that really crossed the line. So long as you don't blame me for that anymore, you and I can be buds.

Crawling up into the fetal position is not getting sucker punched from behind.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know Baylor is the poster child for how to suck at OOC scheduling. Well, they suck at using bye weeks as well. Exhibit A

Northwestern State
SMU
@Rice
Oklahoma State
@Iowa State
-BYE-
Kanas
-BYE-
@Texas
TCU
@Oklahoma
Kansas State
Texas Tech @ Jerry's World
@West Virginia

Yep, Baylor sandwiches the might Kansas Jayhawks in between their bye weeks and then finishes off a stretch of the most difficult games on their schedule. They obviously failed scheduling class!
:L

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you see, when they decide which teams go to the playoffs, they like to use things like schedule strength to determine which teams deserve to go.

And as it turns out, your 9 game conference schedules ain't doing shit for you.
I think it's quite clear your opinion isn't objective. The OP raises a very good point. When I look at SOS I look at the big picture. And schedule an FCS team with the intent on gaining an extra bye week late in the season. In truth decreases a teams SOS based on the body of work. In the end there are really two answers to rectify this loop hole. All the P5 conferences operate under the same scheduling standards. Or they should expand the playoffs. Level out the playing field. I just can't buy into the practice or its ramifications on the rankings and college football playoffs

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know Baylor is the poster child for how to suck at OOC scheduling. Well, they suck at using bye weeks as well. Exhibit A

Northwestern State
SMU
@Rice
Oklahoma State
@Iowa State
-BYE-
Kanas
-BYE-
@Texas
TCU
@Oklahoma
Kansas State
Texas Tech @ Jerry's World
@West Virginia

Yep, Baylor sandwiches the might Kansas Jayhawks in between their bye weeks and then finishes off a stretch of the most difficult games on their schedule. They obviously failed scheduling class!
:L

But they play 9 conference games, so apparently that means they have one of the best schedules.