• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post Draft: Biggest Questions for the 2018 Broncos

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the draft is complete the makeup of the 2018 Broncos is taking shape. They still have to cull the heard but the roster is probably 90+% complete, with OTAs, mini camps and training camp just around the corner.

I can’t help but believe Elway address all the major questions across every position group with the exception of offensive line. But regarding this unit I’ve said it a few times now that 2017 marked the start of a unit that we’d see some continuity in. You don’t build an o-line by turning over 4/5 of it every season the way the Broncos did several straight years. As bad as the offense was last year the line was respectable at run blocking and looks to build on that.

On defense there may be a drop off in the secondary but we still have an insanely good unit back there, added some depth, and with the pickup of Cravens (assuming he gets his head on straight) a physical edge in the secondary they otherwise lost with Talib. Plus the front end of the defense looks scary good with the addition of Chubb. I’m not counting sacks before a rookie even suits up, but his skill set and attitude make him as sure a successful transition to the NFL as existed in this year’s draft. There are still some questions up front (Wolfe’s health, Gotsis’s legal status) but there is a lot about this defense to be excited about in the early days of the 2018 season.

Adding King brings some attitude to the ST unit too. I can’t believe the Raiders cut him. His ability to put a punt where it needs to be is something our team has lacked in years. The thought of him pinning the enemy inside the 5 with the defense we have brewing up should excite Broncos fans.

On offense I already addressed the line. The skill positions have all been addressed through the draft and FA, most notably the Keenum signing. Think about it: an incompletion bringing out the punting unit is a huge improvement over an INT setting up the enemy already in FG Range. And Elway brought in players who are known RZ threats. The offense didn’t move the ball well at all last year but when they actually did get into the RZ they were 32nd in the league in RZ efficiency. All signs indicate the team looks to improve these areas in 2018. I have a hard time believing this unit will be explosive, but I think we’ll see an efficient grinder similar to the 2005 offense.

These questions APPEAR to be addressed. The team needs to show it on the field now.

And that brings me to the single biggest question of the 2018 season: the coaching. Was last year’s dismal 5-11 record the result of coaching incompetence? Or was it the result of offensive talent that just wasn’t deep enough to contend, resulting in things spiraling out of control? Is Vance Joseph the problem? Or can he restore credibility after delivering the 2nd worst season in 25 years? Personally I’m glad he’s getting another chance because I don’t think turning the coaching staff over after a single year is the right way to go. Even the Browns are shifting away from that and Jackson has coached them to 1-15 and 0-16 seasons! This year’s offense appears to be seriously upgraded over last year’s. It’s vital Vance Joseph and his staff get this new look team on the same sheet of music and fast.

I think the roster has been adequately addressed. The big question for this year is can the coaches take advantage of it?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos definitely have a much better looking roster this year compared to last. They should have some players coming into good seasons like that of Bolles, Simmons, and Gotsis. Von Miller should finally have some pressure taken off him to be our pass rush and the offense actually has some decent weapons or at least the potential for some decent weapons heading into this season. And finally the biggest upgrade of the entire offseason is that of QB. Even average QB play would be one of the biggest upgrades in the entire league if that is what the Broncos can get out of Keenum.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the roster has been adequately addressed. The big question for this year is can the coaches take advantage of it?

This is clearly the big question. Seems like the coaching staff and front office were more on the same page in this year's draft, so there's hope. Of course, many of these picks need to live up to expectations but VJ and staff have much more to work with this year, IMO.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is clearly the big question. Seems like the coaching staff and front office were more on the same page in this year's draft, so there's hope. Of course, many of these picks need to live up to expectations but VJ and staff have much more to work with this year, IMO.

At this point the coaching staff is without excuses. Last year they could lean on having no QB and little experience. I'm glad they kept Joseph as it takes time to develop the roster and a coach to learn what it takes but his seat is getting pretty hot.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point the coaching staff is without excuses. Last year they could lean on having no QB and little experience. I'm glad they kept Joseph as it takes time to develop the roster and a coach to learn what it takes but his seat is getting pretty hot.
I agree coaches are on the hot seat now more than a few players.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you all think VJ needs to do to keep his job? I don't think .500 is going to cut it. I'm guessing he needs to guide the Broncos to at least 9-10 wins to be here in 2019. I suppose some of it will come down to how the Broncos win, how they lose and how the team develops this year. Probably not as simple as a record but I wouldn't bet on VJ next year unless he can get them over .500.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of the problems last year was the too many chiefs not enough Indians classic - as the Broncos had 3 or 4 former OCs (I forget how many). Another problem was Elway hired most of them - instead of VJ - so no one owed their allegiance to VJ.

The Offensive production (or lack thereof) just boggles my mind from last year. That had to have a combination of circumstances related and akin to those needed to have the 500 year type flood.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the problems last year was the too many chiefs not enough Indians classic - as the Broncos had 3 or 4 former OCs (I forget how many). Another problem was Elway hired most of them - instead of VJ - so no one owed their allegiance to VJ.

The Offensive production (or lack thereof) just boggles my mind from last year. That had to have a combination of circumstances related and akin to those needed to have the 500 year type flood.

I think last year was just one of those everything that could go wrong went wrong other than actually not too many injuries thankfully. Lynch didn't develop and Siemian regressed. The OL struggled to find any kind of consistency. I mean there were so many things that killed drives last year. Penalties on our few great plays, turnovers, miscommunications, drops and so on. Throw in then our special teams turning the ball over more than any other team killing any kind of momentum we could have been building. The defense being at odds with the offense. So at least this year it looks like the OL is improved, more weapons on offense, better QB in the building with veteran experience, a coaching staff that looks more on par with what we need, and some added pieces to our defense that should at least improve the pass rush. Throw in adding King to our special teams unit and I can't see McManus having as bad of a year as last year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw VJ at his press conference talking about Josey Jewell the other day. Looked like he had ants in his pants then I realized...

DAMN, his seat is hot.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you all think VJ needs to do to keep his job? I don't think .500 is going to cut it. I'm guessing he needs to guide the Broncos to at least 9-10 wins to be here in 2019. I suppose some of it will come down to how the Broncos win, how they lose and how the team develops this year. Probably not as simple as a record but I wouldn't bet on VJ next year unless he can get them over .500.

I think a 9-7 record gets him a third year. Especially if that 9-7 happens to be good enough to make the playoffs. That would mean the Broncos were one of the top 6 teams in the conference, so it’s not the same thing as a 9-7 team in a non playoff season like 2016.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say anything 8-8 and above would probably help him keep his job. Some depends on how we lose games. I can't see him keeping his job if we have 8 losses where the team just gets embarrassed.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needs to win at least 8 games after that it just depends on how team chemistry is, how the young players are growing etc.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say anything 8-8 and above would probably help him keep his job. Some depends on how we lose games. I can't see him keeping his job if we have 8 losses where the team just gets embarrassed.

I agree with this as well. I think 8-8 but the losses are close games or there are other mitigating circumstances. 8-8 carries entirely by the defense with no offense to speak of is also probably not going to cut it. Even if the losses are close.

This is why I think 9-7 is the minimum sure thing for VJ. A playoff berth is a no brainer.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I think the Chargers has a pretty solid draft, though I wonder if they did enough this off season to address their run defense.

The Chiefs appear to have taken a big step back and their draft was all over the map. The Raiders...I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they drafted for the long run. I guess when you give the coach a 10 year deal you can do that sort of thing.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I think the Chargers has a pretty solid draft, though I wonder if they did enough this off season to address their run defense.

The Chiefs appear to have taken a big step back and their draft was all over the map. The Raiders...I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they drafted for the long run. I guess when you give the coach a 10 year deal you can do that sort of thing.

Chargers definitely look like the team to beat at this point in the AFC West. Adding Derwin to that unit and getting some guys back from last year make them look like a sneaky good team that should compete for the AFC.

The Chiefs they had an alright draft but nothing that had me as mad as that Chargers draft. And Raiders draft I was rolling on the ground laughing at what they did in Gruden's first year with the team. Especially if the Donald Penn situation ends up getting him suspended and they have to depend on Kolton Miller and another below average Tackle to try and protect Carr.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers definitely look like the team to beat at this point in the AFC West. Adding Derwin to that unit and getting some guys back from last year make them look like a sneaky good team that should compete for the AFC.

The Chiefs they had an alright draft but nothing that had me as mad as that Chargers draft. And Raiders draft I was rolling on the ground laughing at what they did in Gruden's first year with the team. Especially if the Donald Penn situation ends up getting him suspended and they have to depend on Kolton Miller and another below average Tackle to try and protect Carr.

My early prediction was:

Chargers: 11-5
Broncos: 10-6
Chiefs: 7-9
Raiders: 4-12

That was before schedules were even out. Now that the schedules are out and the draft is over I’ve been slowly churning on my official predictions for 2018.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My early prediction was:

Chargers: 11-5
Broncos: 10-6
Chiefs: 7-9
Raiders: 4-12

That was before schedules were even out. Now that the schedules are out and the draft is over I’ve been slowly churning on my official predictions for 2018.

Cannot wait for when you release your predictions. Seriously one of my favorite posts of the entire year. Love reading it.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? You just had to use that reference for me?

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the talent he has now and the expectations that are starting early (Bronco's aren't that far removed from the team that won the 2015 Superbowl now according to Mayock and others at ESPN... His seat will be too hot to live on with anything other than a playoff appearance. I don't care what his record it.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not a fan of how the broncos have their lber coaches or lack there of especially now with Chubb in the fold. I’d go out right now and hire someone like Chad Brown to work with Von Chubb

Currently von is in the Dline room with Kollar
Now if Chubb can be there as well learning from Kollar I guess that would be Ok