• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Possible Rule Change

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching a Premiership game for the 1st time in months a little while ago made me remember an idea I had once.

Making scoring at least 1 goal in a game a requirement for getting any standings points at all.

That would reduce the number of times any team would be tempted to play a strictly defensive game,
and subsequently reduce the number of 0-0 games most USA natives find so boring.

Not saying defense can't be interesting, but the blending of offense and defense is always more interesting.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to break it to you but Soccer could careless about what the USA thinks about their game. It is still the most popular game in the rest of the world

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to break it to you but Soccer could careless about what the USA thinks about their game. It is still the most popular game in the rest of the world
It may be the most popular game in the rest of the world,
but where I live it's less popular then a game I don't really care about, NFL football.

My rule change would be highly unlikely to reduce soccer's popularity outside the USA,
and quite likely to increase it's USA popularity. What would be objectionable about that?

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another idea I've had would be giving a "Bonus Point" to the "side" that scores the 1st goal
of a given match.

I'm less enthusiastic about that because it would complicate figuring out the standings a bit,
but it would also probably reduce the frequency of scoreless games.

I want to see players at least TRYING to score whatever the game they're playing may be.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This would make offense more important than defense, when in reality they are equally important. No reason to promote one side of the game over the other just because a certain culture is obsessed with scoring instead of just watching the game and appreciating what they are doing.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would make offense more important than defense, when in reality they are equally important. No reason to promote one side of the game over the other just because a certain culture is obsessed with scoring instead of just watching the game and appreciating what they are doing.
The current set-up DOES make defense seem more important than offense,
when in fact it's the ability to BALANCE the 2 that's most important.

Being able to understand when to gamble and when not to is important
in any game, not just soccer. Encouraging risk-taking on both offense and defense
will, I believe, enhance the game for both people who are new to it and those
familiar with it.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To paraphrase my earlier post, the status quo does not promote reasonable risk-taking, my idea would.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not simply a lack of scoring that makes soccer unwatchable, it's the fact that SO much of what goes on doesn't advance the objective of scoring. Turf is traded back and forth to the point of becoming meaningless...and yes, there is the fact that nobody ever scores and when they do, the goals are all the same. Nobody scores a goal from mid-field.

However, if denigrating American fans is all ya got...

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not intending to denigrate fans of any nationality. Just to make a sport
I like better than most USA natives do better and more enjoyable for all nationalities.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would change two things. The first would be a requirement that the ball be touched whithin a zone in the middle of the field to prevent simply clearing it out nearly the length of the field. That's one thing that drives me nuts. Skillfull passing and ball handling the length of the field is commonly erased by one big boot to the other side.

The second would be....yes I know it's sacrilege to suggest but the goal could stand to be larger...or smaller and eliminate the goal keeper position.

In the end, I just don't find it interesting enough so I'll be on my way. Good luck with your teams all~

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would change two things. The first would be a requirement that the ball be touched whithin a zone in the middle of the field to prevent simply clearing it out nearly the length of the field. That's one thing that drives me nuts. Skillfull passing and ball handling the length of the field is commonly erased by one big boot to the other side.

The second would be....yes I know it's sacrilege to suggest but the goal could stand to be larger...or smaller and eliminate the goal keeper position.

In the end, I just don't find it interesting enough so I'll be on my way. Good luck with your teams all~
I would be more in favor of a variation on basketball's "over and back" rule.

Specifically, once you get the ball into the offensive half of the field it would be a turnover to pass it back into the defensive half.

Comments?

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rules like this will never be changed though. Especially only to increase popularity in one country

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rules like this will never be changed though. Especially only to increase popularity in one country
Be very leery of the word "never."

Improbable things do happen now and then.