• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Possible Expansion Scenario...

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the idea. I like how regional it would make the sport. So many natural rivals.. in the West alone Dodgers playing the Angels, A's and Giants, Seattle and Portland... Both Chicago and New York teams in same division. I think it would be an interesting change.

Only problem if you are in Vegas and rely on mlb.tv to watch games... You don't get to watch any division games except maybe Portland. LOL Good thing I'm heading back to the PNW soon!!!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the realignment idea kinda, because it gives massive flexibility in scheduling and hopefully shortening the season without losing games. But putting a professional baseball team in Portland is idiotic IMO.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But putting a professional baseball team in Portland is idiotic IMO.

I would love it! I am only 45 minutes away from Portland vs 2 hours from Seattle.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love it. Not sure about 8 team divisions, but love the scheduling. Baseball needs change and this would, I assume, end the stupid DH/Pitchers Hitting garbage.
Everyone would be rocking the DH from what I understand. There was another scenario I saw that was 8 divisions of 4 teams each, which looked alright be easier to win the division, but there was far less dramatics with the way the divisions would be structured. Personally I kinda like the 8 team divisions but winning the division would be brutal.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the realignment idea, because then the Astros arent in the same division as us

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Portland team would instantly become my second favorite team if we could see them in Seattle too. It would also make the Mariners have to compete for viewers and hopefully improve the team. The Mariners have a huge market and nobody near to compete with for viewers.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love it! I am only 45 minutes away from Portland vs 2 hours from Seattle.

Ya, I can understand that but everything that makes Portland a decent city is that it is a minor league city. Paul Allen didn't need to give up majority ownership of the Blazers strictly because the Sonics left. Just a horrible idea to me.

But like I said I'd like it because they can shorten the season at the same keep the amount of games. It is ridiculous to me that if Manfred actually cares about the growth of baseball ( which I kind of doubt in a way) he needs to not have the WS go into November. The WS should be over by now because the weather and the less it goes up against football the better...though the one positive is the remaining baseball teams have crappy NFL and NCAA football fans.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea a lot.

I wonder about Portland's ability to support an MLB team though. I've only been to Portland once or twice in recent years and both times it was for business and never had the opportunity to attend an MLS or NBA game. Just don't put a damn team in Las Vegas.

I think Portland's long-term growth potential is positive. This is purely speculative: but I have to wonder how many young professionals in Seattle would consider relocating to Portland over the next decade due to the ridiculous increases in cost of living in the Seattle area. It's something I've contemplated.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea a lot.

I wonder about Portland's ability to support an MLB team though. I've only been to Portland once or twice in recent years and both times it was for business and never had the opportunity to attend an MLS or NBA game. Just don't put a damn team in Las Vegas.

I think Portland's long-term growth potential is positive. This is purely speculative: but I have to wonder how many young professionals in Seattle would consider relocating to Portland over the next decade due to the ridiculous increases in cost of living in the Seattle area. It's something I've contemplated.

Portland within 5 years will be nearly as bad as Seattle in terms of cost of living but without as many jobs. I really dislike the city of Portland but from a business perspective it isn't very feasible for an ownership group to purchase an expansion franchise and build a state of the art baseball stadium as they would need to essentially duplicate Safeco in order to play home games in April, May and September. Land in Portland proper isn't exactly available. Also after the disaster with the Rose Garden I'm pretty sure they have a law now too about no public money going towards franchises.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me that Eugene would make more sense that Portland.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Portland within 5 years will be nearly as bad as Seattle in terms of cost of living but without as many jobs. I really dislike the city of Portland but from a business perspective it isn't very feasible for an ownership group to purchase an expansion franchise and build a state of the art baseball stadium as they would need to essentially duplicate Safeco in order to play home games in April, May and September. Land in Portland proper isn't exactly available. Also after the disaster with the Rose Garden I'm pretty sure they have a law now too about no public money going towards franchises.

Really Wazzy you don't like Portland?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really don't know much about Portland's economy or (possible) fan support of a team. On a purely logistical level it seems as if it's a city that has the size and wealth to support an MLB team. Despite only going 41-41, the Trailblazers were 9th in the NBA in attendance (19,317 which is 99.4% capacity). The Portland MLS team averaged 21,144 per game - which was 100% capacity. I think they'd be able to support it. Also you don't need great attendance numbers in order to be financially successful.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can the Mariners relocate and Seattle get an expansion team? At this point I almost feel like completely starting over would be preferable to the ongoing decade+ "rebuild."

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a more serious note, I would be in favor of this too, but I feel like this change would face a lot of backlash and resistance from the baseball traditionalists. Gotta keep the pitcher hitting because, you know, "strategy" and whatnot.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a more serious note, I would be in favor of this too, but I feel like this change would face a lot of backlash and resistance from the baseball traditionalists. Gotta keep the pitcher hitting because, you know, "strategy" and whatnot.

90% of the baseball games I've watched in my life have been Mariners games, so I've always kind of enjoyed watching pitchers try to hit. I have nothing against the DH, but I think it's kind of fun to watch a pitcher try to hit.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know much about Portland's economy or (possible) fan support of a team. On a purely logistical level it seems as if it's a city that has the size and wealth to support an MLB team. Despite only going 41-41, the Trailblazers were 9th in the NBA in attendance (19,317 which is 99.4% capacity). The Portland MLS team averaged 21,144 per game - which was 100% capacity. I think they'd be able to support it. Also you don't need great attendance numbers in order to be financially successful.

I think Portland could and would support a major league baseball team, just like I think they could for the NFL etc. The greater Portland area plus cross overs from Vancouver could too, the problem is (if I remember correctly) is getting a stadium. But if I am incorrect about them not having the same initiative that Washington does then my point in moot.