• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POSITIONAL ANALYSIS: Defensive Line

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(The analysis does not include incoming players, but stuff on those guys will be added once ink is put on the letters of intent in February and we see where they get slotted in the Spring)

TACKLE:

This year’s depth chart:

Nose Tackle
#91 John Graves rSr. 6’3” 278lbs.
#98 Derrick Hopkins Fr. 6’0” 289lbs.

Defensive Tackle
#56 Antoine Hopkins rSo. 6’1” 302lbs
#53 Dwight Tucker rSo. 6’1” 277lbs
#55 Isaiah Hamlette rSo. 6’4” 270lbs.

Next year’s depth chart:

Right Tackle
#98 Derrick Hopkins So. 6’0” 289lbs.
#55 Isaiah Hamlette. rJr. 6’4” 270lbs.
#66 Nick Acree rFr. 6’5” 301lbs.

Defensive Tackle
#56 Antoine Hopkins rJr. 6’1” 302lbs.
#93 Kwamaine Battle rSr. 6’1” 294lbs.
#53 Dwight Tucker rJr. 6’1” 277lbs.

Also on the roster
### Joe Jones rJr. 6’3” 277lbs.

Another stalwart will be lost in the offseason at the nose tackle position, and that is John Graves. A steady starter who battled some injuries and great locker room presence, Graves will surely be missed. His mix of athleticism, speed and strength make him the perfect fit as a 3-4 defensive end, and his work effort and attitude lead me to believe that he may be reunited with his teammate Jason Worilds in Pittsburgh.

Luckily for the Hokies, Graves’ backup Derrick Hopkins got a lot of playing time this season as part of the two deep rotation and he excelled. He recorded 12 tackles, 1.5 sacks and a fumble recovery as a backup. He also was a steadying presence next to his brother Antoine, who had a great year. These two brothers could be solid starters for the next couple of years at this spot. Hopkins’ motor is fantastic and he is very quick for his stature. I expect a big year out of him next season.

hokies-gobble-cavaliers

The nose tackle position is the more athletic of the two tackle positions in Bud Foster’s defense. Occasionally, these guys are even asked to drop into coverage and rush from the end. Because of this, I project converted defensive end Isaiah Hamlette to back up Hopkins at this spot. He is a long and speedy defensive end who has always been a practice and workout warrior, and should fit well in the two deep.

IsaiahHamlette.jpg

Behind these two is freak athlete, Nick Acree. Acree is still a project and has thinned down some this offseason but the game is still a bit too fast for him. In time he has all of the tools to become a monster at this spot, but the coaches are not confident yet with his understanding of the position. Hopefully he can get on the field on special teams this season and start to work his football knowledge and speed out.

At defensive tackle, expect Antoine Hopkins and Kwamaine Battle to compete for the starting spot. I give the edge to Hopkins right now, because he was the starter most of this season and seemed to be rejuvenated and motivated by his little broth spending some time next to him. Defensive line coach Charlie Wiles has stated repeatedly that A-Hop has all the tools to be an NFL player but plays a bit lazy sometimes. He mentioned often last season that that was no longer a problem with D-Hop on the team. The two motivate and challenge each other. You have to love that.

Dominique+Davis+Antoine+Hopkins+East+Carolina+5xmY7UCMXIHl.jpg

Battle is coming off of a season ending ACL injury and will work slowly back into the lineup. I expect him to be very limited in winter workouts and still slightly off speed for Spring drills. He is a worker though and a coaches favorite for his steady play and effort and should be a viable option at this spot as well a solid force on the two deep.

battle.jpg

Backing up these two (and versatile enough to play either spot) is Dwight Tucker who saw limited action this past season. He seemed lost at times but settled down throughout the season. Another Spring and summer should make him even better.

Overall, Wiles likes to have 4 viable tackles and 4 viable ends that he can move in and out of the lineup. This provides much needed energy across the line and gives younger players ample time to get into the game. This has proven helpful when starters move on, as their backups in many cases are not new to big time football. I like the two deep here, but admit that depth is a potential issue. However, this season’s recruiting should help that.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(The analysis does not include incoming players, but stuff on those guys will be added once ink is put on the letters of intent in February and we see where they get slotted in the Spring)

Ends:

This year’s depth chart:

Stud End
#82 Stephen Friday rSr. 6’4” 250lbs.
#42 J.R. Collins rFr. 6’2” 254lbs.
#66 Tyrel Wilson rFr. 6’2” 220lbs.
#90 Duan Perez-Means Fr. 6’4” 249lbs.

Defensive End
#3 Chris Drager rJr. 6’4” 255lbs.
#99 James Gayle rFr. 6’4” 248lbs.
#96 Josh Eadie rSr. 6’4” 231lbs.

Next year’s depth chart:

Stud End
#42 J.R. Collins rSo. 6’2” 254lbs.
#90 Duan Perez-Means rFr. 6’4” 249lbs.
#66 Tyrel Wilson rSo. 6’2” 220lbs.

Defensive End
#3 Chris Drager rSr. 6’4” 255lbs.
#99 James Gayle rSo. 6’4” 248lbs.
## Zach McCray rFr. 6’4” 246lbs.

The only player from the two deep that the Hokies will be losing this offseason is senior, Stephen Friday. Friday put together a superb senior year, where he hassled quarterbacks all season long. He will likely get a look as a 3-4 defensive end at the next level based on his size and speed alone.
Redshirt sophomore J.R. Collins will be the incumbent stud defensive end next season. A Rivals.com, second team all freshman All-American, Collins saw a lot of playing time last season including one start. He finished with 24 tackles including 6.5 for a loss and 5 sacks. He was a menace to quarterbacks and looks to have a very bright future on the Hokies defensive front.

East+Carolina+v+Virginia+Tech+8uWDr0KlSQUl.jpg

Behind Collins, two players without any real playing experience (as far as line goes) will be competing for the second position. I am projecting Duan Perez-Means to move into the two deep here as he is a more polished prospect and has a size more fitting of the position. Perez-Means redshirted this season after coming off of an injury during his prep season. He is big and fast and the coaches love his motor.

perez-means_duan.jpg

Tyrel Wilson played a lot of special teams this past season will backup both of these players. Wilson is on the small side and has had some issues with work ethic and the classroom. He still has time to develop, but right now is a special teams player.

On the other side, Chris Drager is the returning starter. To be honest, any of the top three players on this side of the field, could start next season. I have Drager penciled in right now, because it is his job to lose but the two phenoms behind him will press him hard. Competition is always good though. Drager had a solid, but not spectacular season last year. The injury bug hurt him a bit, and he only started 10 of 13 games. He had 2 forced fumbles and 2 sacks to go along with 31 tackles. Drager is heady, positionally sound and moves the pocket, allowing for the other ends and linebackers to excel. His numbers may not show his real ability.

539w.jpg

Behind Drager, I have James Gayle who had a very nice season last year in the two deep and as an occasional starter. He started two games, and recorded 4 sacks and a forced fumble to go along with 13 tackles. Speed is his biggest asset and his NFL pedigree and size make him a very good end for the Hokies. I expect him to take over the starting spot here by season’s end. He was a steal of a player and has a tremendous future ahead of him at Tech.

7c4a9df05477b1497529b2d71d267c09-getty-102318793sl040_virginia_tec.jpg

Now we come to one of the highest rated recruits that we have seen along the defensive line in a long long time. Zach McCray will come into the spring with a legitimate chance to take over the starting position at either end spot. He has reportedly jumped up to 6’5” and 270 pounds since coming in this season. Sporting News ranked him as the #13 overall prospect in the country last year. The future is super bright for this kid as he has all of the physical tools and the coaches rave about his humility, work ethic and drive. It will be an interesting Spring and Summer for this guy.

Overall our depth and young age at the defensive end spot is very good to see. The future looks very bright for this group and it should be a position of strength for the foreseeable future. This is important as Bud Foster’s defense relies on a good defensive line and pass rushing ends.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Anyone else feel that we should at least stick acree in there for some situational stuff. I watched him in one of the open practice/scrimmages last year and although (like has already been stated) his technique isnt great he was manhandling guys with his strength. He wasnt running free disrupting plays or anything but he held his ground and would have swallowed any attempted runs up the gut.

I may be a little biased and lets be honest when you see Acree who doesnt think he could play, but i really believe that even without A+ technique he will help us some time next year.

Id like to see him on FG block out toward the edge ( where he would have a better chance at a 1 on 1) with the "safety" on a 3yard blitz through his hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else feel that we should at least stick acree in there for some situational stuff. I watched him in one of the open practice/scrimmages last year and although (like has already been stated) his technique isnt great he was manhandling guys with his strength. He wasnt running free disrupting plays or anything but he held his ground and would have swallowed any attempted runs up the gut.

I may be a little biased and lets be honest when you see Acree who doesnt think he could play, but i really believe that even without A+ technique he will help us some time next year.

Id like to see him on FG block out toward the edge ( where he would have a better chance at a 1 on 1) with the "safety" on a 3yard blitz through his hole.

I haven't seen Acree in action personally but that is an interesting thought hunz. I remember seeing him "own" Robert Crisp back during his recruiting year during a camp, Crisp I believe was one of the top few tackles recruited that year. Sounds like his size, strength, and lack of technique makes him more suited for say a 3-4 nosetackle. With that being said, I could see him being used situationally. Maybe on the strong side of the line against a GT..take away the dive play against an OG that weighs 30 lbs less than him, that is if they don't injure him at the knees. You have a great idea there also, he could open up some huge holes on FG Block/Punt Return to allow someone to get through. I would love to see this kid turn it on. From everything I have read he has Kung Suh type size and is a specimen. Maybe Wiles can get him there..

Last edited by a moderator:

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all have those recruits which just get us pumped, Acree is it for me. Like 46 said, if this guy can get it to click for him, oh my - that's all I can say. What a specimen...

acree_nick02.jpg

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With all of the recent 2012 verbals it seems like a good time to add an update (projected starters in black/bold; projected 2-deep in green/bold; projected redshirts in red/bold):

DEFENSIVE ENDS:
-----------------
J.R. Collins 6' 2" 253 r-So. (2009 Class)
James Gayle 6' 4" 251 r-So. (2009 Class)

Tyrel Wilson 6' 1" 214 r-So. (2009 Class)
Zack McCray 6' 5" 248 r-Fr. (2010 Class)
Duan Perez-Means6' 4" 252 r-Fr. (2010 Class)

Justin Taylor 6' 2" 220 Fr. (arrived Jan 2011 - 2010 grayshirt)
Corey Marshall 6' 1" 250 Fr. (2011 Class)
Dadi Nicolas 6' 3" 205 Fr. (2011 Class)
Matt Roth 6' 3" 221 Fr. (2011 Class)

Dwayne Alford 6' 2" 225 - (arrives Jan 2012 - 2011 grayshirt)
Woody Baron 6' 3" 252 - (Arrives 2012)
Seth Dooley 6' 5" 230 - (Arrives 2012)
Jarontay Jones 6' 1" 240 - (Arrives 2012)

DEFENSIVE TACKLES:
---------------------
Kwamaine Battle 6' 0" 301 r-Sr. (2007 Class)
Antoine Hopkins 6' 0" 299 r-Jr. (2008 Class)
Isaiah Hamlette 6' 4" 274 r-Jr. (2008 Class)
Dwight Tucker 6' 1" 273 r-Jr. (2008 Class)

Derrick Hopkins 6' 0" 298 So. (2010 Class)
Nick Acree 6' 5" 276 r-Fr. (2010 Class)
Kris Harley 6' 0" 290 Fr. (2011 Class)

Luther Maddy 6' 1" 282 Fr. (2011 Class)

Nigel Williams 6' 3" 260 - (2012 Class)
Alston Smith 6' 3" 272 - (2012 Class)

NOTES:
-------
* There may be an additional one or two DLs who may join the 2012 Class.
* Harley may be ready to play in the Fall...it will depend on whether or not he can outperform a few DTs to earn a slot.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think Harley could play some this year- dude is a beast- same could be said for marshall.

After watching this years spring game, i'd like to retract my above statement about Acree. While i still think he will contribute before he leaves VT, it most likely wont be this year.

Side note:In hindsight i wonder if Acree wouldnt have been better suited @ OG. If he was such a "blank slate" wouldnt it have been just as easy to teach him that technique?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Harley could play some this year- dude is a beast- same could be said for marshall.

After watching this years spring game, i'd like to retract my above statement about Acree. While i still think he will contribute before he leaves VT, it most likely wont be this year.

Side note:In hindsight i wonder if Acree wouldnt have been better suited @ OG. If he was such a "blank slate" wouldnt it have been just as easy to teach him that technique?

Good point about Marshall.

As a DT, Acree has got to be broken of the habit of standing straight up as soon as the ball is snapped. He also needs to learn his assignments to know exactly what he has to do on each defensive play. That year he lost rehabbing his ACL really cost him some development time.

I've also given some thought to Acree converting to an OG, but I wonder if Acree has have the lateral movement to pass-block effectively? If he has a good first step, maybe you bring him in on short-yardage goal-line plays as a fullback and just run behind him.