• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Polian, Jaws aided in Eagles Coaching Search

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ESPN found our head coach?

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry about Polian. Guy seems lost.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great career but seems to be 50-50 on things he says nowadays.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaworski, who aided Eagles' coaching search, praises Pederson

Welp.

THERE WERE 20 to 25 candidates "that we spent a lot of time on," when the Eagles made a list of head-coaching possibilities, Ron Jaworski said Friday. He said a thorough vetting process knocked the candidates down to the half-dozen who were interviewed, with Doug Pederson emerging as the eventual choice.

Jaworski served as a "special adviser" to the search committee of team chairman Jeffrey Lurie, team president Don Smolenski and vice president Howie Roseman. Jaworski said veteran former NFL general manager Bill Polian also advised, though Polian did not sit in on interviews.

Jaworski, who said he attended the interviews with Adam Gase (now coaching the Dolphins) and Ben McAdoo (promoted to head coach by the Giants), said defensive coaches were on the original list but the candidates who stood out "just seemed to pop up on the offensive side of the football . . . It wasn't like a plan, 'Let's get offensive guys.' That's just how it played out."

"The interviews with Adam Gase and Ben McAdoo were eight, nine hours. They were intense . . . everybody was focused, everyone stayed the course. The goal was - this came right from Jeffrey Lurie, when we first got together (on the Saturday after Chip Kelly's firing) - 'I don't care if it's an offensive guy, a defensive guy, a special-teams guy, I want the best coach for the Philadelphia Eagles' . . . I think we got the best guy for the Philadelphia Eagles in Doug Pederson."

A source close to the situation has said the Eagles were "very interested" in McAdoo, but hadn't made him an offer by Wednesday, because they knew the Giants might, and there would be no reason for him to leave the place where he had been Coughlin's offensive coordinator. The Giants' hiring of McAdoo complicated the idea of Coughlin, who turns 70 in August, putting together a staff, had he been hired by the Eagles. Ultimately, Coughlin withdrew his name from contention Thursday, hours before news leaked that the Eagles had settled on Pederson.

"There never was a 'No. 1 choice,' " Jaworski said, when asked about Pederson being a fallback. "It was wide open. Jeffrey instructed us that way at the very first meeting," not to come in with preconceptions.

there was never a number 1 choice, eh?

Indeed, Gase seemed to sign with the Dolphins last week without getting an offer from the Eagles, perhaps because the Eagles thought they hadn't talked to enough candidates yet.
"I was thinking to myself, 'Don't panic. Stay focused,' " Jaworski said.

sounds like Gase was high on the list.

Regardless,
Jaworski said none of the candidates he spoke with indicated any hesitation about working with Roseman, who was returned to the top of the personnel structure by Lurie, a year after Kelly insisted Roseman be limited to contracts.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bc736361bc31387058bb039a665dd024.jpg

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I suspect these guys enjoyed the Christmas party....

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would trust Jaws and Polian over Smolenksi, Howie and Lurie combined. Also tells you that Lurie understands he needs more football people in his front office. I would not be surprised if we hear some hirings at some point this offseason in the front office.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would trust Jaws and Polian over Smolenksi, Howie and Lurie combined. Also tells you that Lurie understands he needs more football people in his front office. I would not be surprised if we hear some hirings at some point this offseason in the front office.

That's what Lurie said after he fired Kelly, so he'd better bring in a solid personnel guy.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect step one in the process was to ask Bob Lamonte to make a list of 20-25 of his clients....

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect step one in the process was to ask Bob Lamonte to make a list of 20-25 of his clients....

Wanted to elevate the conversation and now reduced to trolling. The former was never an objective, you just wanted attention didn't you.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to elevate the conversation and now reduced to trolling. The former was never an objective, you just wanted attention didn't you.

I will admit to a huge about face in my assumptions about this organization. I WAS (as in previously) inclined to give the organization the benefit of the doubt on decisions figuring that they knew more than we did and were probably smarter at this stuff. Unfortunately, there is ample evidence to suggest this is no longer true.

1. They have fired 2 coaches in three years. Both of them got new jobs in less that two weeks and the Reid has two 11-5 seasons under his belt since then. Kelly had a winning record during his tenure as well.
2. For this hire, with the exception of Coughlin, every interview was either an in-house guy or a Lamonte client...who also happens to represent Roseman.
3. They passed on interviewing several more qualified candidates. Shanahan, Jackson, McDaniels, Patricia, etc.
4. They hire a guy that no else has interviewed ever. After one 4 hour interview.

So yeah, at this point, I believe the Eagles Front Office is being run by a an old boys network, rather than the best of the best.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yeah, at this point, I believe the Eagles Front Office is being run by a an old boys network, rather than the best of the best.

Are you just realizing that is how business works?? I've said from the start that Lurie suffers from a conflict between a BUSINESS MODEL and a SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIP MODEL.. and Banner made it very clear this organization was more about business. I mean seriously, how do you install the #1 most pass happy offense ever, but have the "LAST" place set of starting WR's?? Then bring in a legitimate HOF WR - go to the SB as a result - and then immediately start making a fuss over 1.5 mil? What was clearly more important? Right now, the FO looks like it is struggling to define itself and doesn't have any clear direction - they just know they have egg on their face right now.