• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pitching issues - the Giants are not alone

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quick visit to ESPN's MLB page this morning revealed the following headlines:

• Rangers rout Verlander, Tigers (2.2 innings, 8 ER)
  • Rays place CY winner Price on DL
  • Halladay could begin throwing in 6-8 weeks
  • Pettitte knocked out of start (tightness in his left trapezius)
  • Red Sox Hanrahan undergoes Tommy John
  • Braves' Venters has 2nd Tommy John surgery

And that's just today, so it excludes any Doyer Schadenfreude, among many other teams.

I know it doesn't make our situation(s) any better, but it provides some perspective. The grass is not always greener on the other side. In fact, it's often pretty darn brown and weedy. We're going to have to gut out some ugly wins, like we did last night, if we are to contend.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quick visit to ESPN's MLB page this morning revealed the following headlines:

• Rangers rout Verlander, Tigers (2.2 innings, 8 ER)
  • Rays place CY winner Price on DL
  • Halladay could begin throwing in 6-8 weeks
  • Pettitte knocked out of start (tightness in his left trapezius)
  • Red Sox Hanrahan undergoes Tommy John
  • Braves' Venters has 2nd Tommy John surgery

And that's just today, so it excludes any Doyer Schadenfreude, among many other teams.

I know it doesn't make our situation(s) any better, but it provides some perspective. The grass is not always greener on the other side. In fact, it's often pretty darn brown and weedy. We're going to have to gut out some ugly wins, like we did last night, if we are to contend.

A cursory look at team pitching in the NL:

ERA -- 10th
QS -- 10th
BAA -- 8th
TB -- 3rd
WHIP -- 9th
K/BB -- 6th

Fairly mediocre. Other teams may be experiencing adversity wrt injuries, but most of the NL seems to be coping better than we are.

However, it's only the quarter pole. The big picture is just coming into focus.

Team hitting in the NL:

R -- 3rd
AVG -- 1st
OPS -- 3rd

Of course the hope is that our hitting is this good and the SP will get better. No trades are going to be made until July anyway, so the SP will likely get another 8 starts or so before any decisions are made.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cursory look at team pitching in the NL:

ERA -- 10th
QS -- 10th
BAA -- 8th
TB -- 3rd
WHIP -- 9th
K/BB -- 6th

Fairly mediocre. Other teams may be experiencing adversity wrt injuries, but most of the NL seems to be coping better than we are.

However, it's only the quarter pole. The big picture is just coming into focus.

Team hitting in the NL:

R -- 3rd
AVG -- 1st
OPS -- 3rd

Of course the hope is that our hitting is this good and the SP will get better. No trades are going to be made until July anyway, so the SP will likely get another 8 starts or so before any decisions are made.

Also on the glass half full side:

Bullpen ERA (all MLB): 1st (2.75)
OPS w/RISP (all MLB): 1st (.854)
Overall OPS - May (all MLB): 1st (.820)

It's nice to have superstars, but it's also nice to have a great 'pen and no glaring holes in your lineup, like we used to have a few years ago.

Oh, and a GG quality shortstop, too.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice to have superstars, but it's also nice to have a great 'pen and no glaring holes in your lineup, like we used to have a few years ago.

As an addendum and testament to the balance, Angel Pagan is sixth on our team in RBI, but he is tied for 38th in the NL with 18. As a leadoff hitter. Not bad considering there are 15 teams.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Tzill stated: However, it's only the quarter pole. The big picture is just coming into focus.

No need for any panic moves at the moment ... but it does make you stop and think. As of now our offense is carrying a very medicore SP rotation. As a Giant fan I want it to get better but there are some real lingering questions that will have to playout over the course of the next 40 or so games. Will Vogs find his rhythm or is he in fact lost it? Which Timmy will we see for the remainder of the season? I'm still not sure about him. Zeets also raises similar questions. How will he fair over the next 40 or so games. But, IMHO I still think we make the playoff becuase I feel or offense can carry a medicore SP rotation. At that point it becomers a real crapshoot for us. Last year our pitching shut down teams when they were against the wall. Vogs and Zeets were stellar when it counted. Timmy was terrific out of the pen. This is a new year. So far Bum has been just great. Cain is still a mystery to me. The pen has been outstanding when they had the opportunity. I think we will be there at the end but I'm not sure it will be our rotation that provides us with an edge. This team can hit and that's fine by me! Maybe this is what happens to a fan when their team wins to WS titles in 3 years. I don't care how they get there just as long as they do!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would be worried if they were in the cellar and struggling with the starting pitching. That would be a glaring problem than the last two years when the Giants couldn't hit (2011) and opened the season rusty with their defense (2012).

It seems like the scouting report is out on the starting pitching to just wait for that hanger and send it to the stands knowing that average velocity appears to be down.