• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Philip Sims ... wow

hoosrise

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The word everywhere is that Philip Sims to UVA is a done deal. It sounds like the key is for the NCAA to grant a hardship waiver so that he can play immediately. All indications are that a waiver will not be a problem. I don't know what the story is, but there have been suggestions of family problems at home (the NCAA can grant a waiver of the one year sit-out for financial hardship or for injury or illness of the player or a member of his family).

If this happens, Sims would come in with 3 years of eligibility and the ability to play right away.

He would have to learn the offense and the players around him, which won't be easy. But on the other hand, there is no question that PS is big time. He narrowly lost out at QB to McCarron at Alabama, but that is no slight to him. PS has elite talent.

On top of that, Sims is a huge name in 757. It is obvious that he will be a big drawing card there and probably elsewhere as well. The elites know him and want to be with him, and combined with the fistfuls of really high quality guys London has brought in from 757 and elsewhere, this could be a game changer. But let's not think about it so much from a recruiting standpoint - the bottom line is that PS was ranked as the #1 QB in the nation for a reason, and that will be nothing but good for us very soon.

What does that mean for everybody else on the team? My guess is that Watford really needs a redshirt year, so now he could take it. Rocco has really progressed and looks good as the starter, but obviously there will be a battle for the top spot as the season goes on. Lambert and Johns were going to redshirt anyway, so there is no practical impact to them (Lambert is the best looking frosh QB I've ever seen, and Johns' film was very impressive).

The offense only benefits from PS being on board. It will have a ton of weapons and will be able to strike in any number of ways. Lazor runs a very multiple, complex offense - so he will be in a position to stretch the field for the first time since he arrived.

It's good, folks. Very, very good.