• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Simms wont say "Redskins" on air?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SMH.. like 'most' skins fans.. you're set in your ways and there's no discussing the issue.. the 'only' opinion here that matters is Dan Snyder's and as I've already said.. he's the only one that comes out of this a winner either way he decides to go

You are waaaaaay off base here.

Check out the threads I've posted in about this. This has little to do with being a skins fan and everything to do with govt overstepping itself.

As a skins fan, if the government was stupid enough to legislate this, I'd be fine with changing the name to skins (it's what I usually call them anyhow), adopting the spear logo and saying F everyone.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're 'comparing' the klan and nazis to the word 'redskins'??

:L. I'm saying how you use those words is EVERYTHING. Context and intent DOES fucking matter.

Are you saying these words should be censored? Unbelievable.

And sadly, there are peeps who actually try to equate redskin with the 'N' word...smdh

WILD FAN

Naked Woman Watcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are waaaaaay off base here.

Check out the threads I've posted in about this. This has little to do with being a skins fan and everything to do with govt overstepping itself.

As a skins fan, if the government was stupid enough to legislate this, I'd be fine with changing the name to skins (it's what I usually call them anyhow), adopting the spear logo and saying F everyone.

So you were all in favor of a name change 'until' the government stepped in and took away the trademark rights??

WILD FAN

Naked Woman Watcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L. I'm saying how you use those words is EVERYTHING. Context and intent DOES fucking matter.

Are you saying these words should be censored? Unbelievable.

And sadly, there are peeps who actually try to equate redskin with the 'N' word...smdh

Sadly there are people like you that think this way.. there are Native Americans who do feel that using the word/term 'redskin'.. just as bad as using the 'n' word to African Americans..
NO MATTER HOW ITS USED IN CONTEXT OR INTENT

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you were all in favor of a name change 'until' the government stepped in and took away the trademark rights??

Nope. Never. And I'd be pissed as fuck if it got legislated. But I'd go along with a majority ruling.

And this has happened before. And been over turned before as being none of the Trademark Office business. I expect it to happen again.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly there are people like you that think this way.. there are Native Americans who do feel that using the word/term 'redskin'.. just as bad as using the 'n' word to African Americans..
NO MATTER HOW ITS USED IN CONTEXT OR INTENT

As is their right. No one is going to all agree on this. And I have NO problem with people disagreeing with my opinion.

But That doesn't equate directly to being the ONLY valid viewpoint. That is not logical.

What is not any single persons right, is the expectation that everyone feel the same way.

That is the point I'm making.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even as a Redskins fan I would accept it if the name is changed someday. However - I have discussed this subject in person with numerous people & I have yet to hear one person - not even one - who supports the idea of a name change (& these are people of different backgrounds, ages, sexes, etc). I have not yet discussed with a Native American but would love to have this chance. I also constantly see nothing but overwhelming polls which show that Native Americans either support the name or don't care.

All I hear from on this subject are pompous politicians, actors, announcers, etc & these are generally the type of folks who get behind a cause for all of the wrong reasons & who I highly doubt really give a crap about Native Americans. I also see a handful of token Native American "leaders" who appear to be desperate for attn & who I suspect profit due to this issue.

I would love to run into someone - anyone - in person who opposes the name Redskins (anonymous msg board posters with ulterior motives don't count). Oh well.

The bolded is all that should matter in the whole discussion. If the majority of Native Americans either support the name or don't care about it, then the subject should be dropped.

The PC police need to quit running around telling other people what they are supposed to be offended by.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how changing a name that offends a proven minority of the NA community helps anything myself. Just gives power to butt hurt thought police.

And I'd like to point out the word Redskin has NEVER been universally accepted as racist.

A word must include context and intent to be considered racist. Same is true for KKK and natzi.

That's just one of my many problems with this debate. The lack of proper argument regarding it.

I totally agree that it is absurd to tell a storied franchise like the Redskins that they need to change their name because all of a sudden, a few free loaders are pretending to be offended by it......
Their skin is red and nothing to be ashamed of..... I think the Chief headgear and the redskin serves as a tribute to their history and endurance through many years of opposition.....If they were called the Washington Savages, or the Washington Scalpers, then I would say that that is abusive, but Washington Redskins does not offend me at all and I am 1/4 Cherokee, so I think I have a right to speak to this debacle.....
It's just a football game, people......Lighten up, Waa Hoo !! :rollseyes:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded is all that should matter in the whole discussion. If the majority of Native Americans either support the name or don't care about it, then the subject should be dropped.

The PC police need to quit running around telling other people what they are supposed to be offended by.

Problem is that we don't have reliable polls reflecting the viewpoints of Native Americans as a whole, particularly not the tribes. There are many who will identify themselves as Native Americans even if they had no such upbringing, nor do they identify with the culture. I'm fine with taking polls, but the samples have been questionable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is that we don't have reliable polls reflecting the viewpoints of Native Americans as a whole, particularly not the tribes. There are many who will identify themselves as Native Americans even if they had no such upbringing, nor do they identify with the culture. I'm fine with taking polls, but the samples have been questionable.

And if the polls showed a different result, would you say the same thing or would those polls be legit?

Either way, I have not seen or heard any Native Americans taking issue with the Redskins name. I only see a bunch of white liberals telling them they are supposed to be offended.

This tells me that they are either more concerned with other issues concerning their tribes that are more important than the name of some football team, they support it, they simply don't care or a combination of all 3.

Whatever the case, how about if they're allowed to speak for themselves?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if the polls showed a different result, would you say the same thing or would those polls be legit?

Either way, I have not seen or heard any Native Americans taking issue with the Redskins name. I only see a bunch of white liberals telling them they are supposed to be offended.

This tells me that they are either more concerned with other issues concerning their tribes that are more important than the name of some football team, they support it, they simply don't care or a combination of all 3.

Whatever the case, how about if they're allowed to speak for themselves?

The polls aren't really the issue for me, I just find the name inappropriate in the modern times.

Here are some Native Americans speaking out against the name: Native American leaders speak out against Redskins name | ProFootballTalk

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The polls aren't really the issue for me, I just find the name inappropriate in the modern times.

Here are some Native Americans speaking out against the name: Native American leaders speak out against Redskins name | ProFootballTalk

Doob... I find the idea of two men kissing in public inappropriate or on national TV. Do I have a right to tell them to stop doing it??

I think its inappropriate for children to be born out of wedlock. So do I get to tell every single mom to give up her children??

Its fine to disagree or not like the team name. But its bullshit to try and tell every one else in the world that because you and some Ingenious peoples feel the name is not appropriate, that everyone else should also think that way.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The polls don't say 100% of Native Americans support it or don't care. They say that the majority support it or don't care. So, of course there are going to be those who don't like it.

If a majority Native Americans find it offensive and would like it changed, they can make their feelings known to Daniel Snyder, the NFL and anyone else. Until then, people just need to leave it alone, imo.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doob... I find the idea of two men kissing in public inappropriate or on national TV. Do I have a right to tell them to stop doing it??

I think its inappropriate for children to be born out of wedlock. So do I get to tell every single mom to give up her children??

Its fine to disagree or not like the team name. But its bullshit to try and tell every one else in the world that because you and some Ingenious peoples feel the name is not appropriate, that everyone else should also think that way.

But you do have the right to say guys shouldn't kiss on tv & that women shouldn't have kids out of wedlock. I'm not super passionate about the issue, if the Redskins remain the Redskins, the Sun will rise tomorrow. You won't catch me at a rally or protest. I just think everyone would be better off if they changed the name or else the controversy will never end.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The polls don't say 100% of Native Americans support it or don't care. They say that the majority support it or don't care. So, of course there are going to be those who don't like it.

If a majority Native Americans find it offensive and would like it changed, they can make their feelings known to Daniel Snyder, the NFL and anyone else. Until then, people just need to leave it alone, imo.

I could respect that, but to me it's not just about the Native Americans. Fact is that for as long as they're called the Redskins, this debate will never end. If I'm the NFL, I would want the name changed for that reason alone.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buddy is insulted when anyone refers to his Riffy as a dog. He insists that Riffy's a Canine American!

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Phil Simms has been saying Redskins for decades and has only now decided that there's one spot left on the bandwagon so he'd better jump on. Now I like him less.........if that's possible.

LONG LIVE THE REDSKINS!!!!

and

GO EAGLES!!! BEAT THE DAMNED REDSKINS!!!!

Just sayin'

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Phil Simms has been saying Redskins for decades and has only now decided that there's one spot left on the bandwagon so he'd better jump on. Now I like him less.........if that's possible.

and

Just sayin'

:suds: to the Redskins sentiment

And No to the second...heh heh :happyshake:

slapshot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and

Just sayin'
Et tu, CI?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree that it is absurd to tell a storied franchise like the Redskins that they need to change their name because all of a sudden, a few free loaders are pretending to be offended by it......
Their skin is red and nothing to be ashamed of..... I think the Chief headgear and the redskin serves as a tribute to their history and endurance through many years of opposition.....If they were called the Washington Savages, or the Washington Scalpers, then I would say that that is abusive, but Washington Redskins does not offend me at all and I am 1/4 Cherokee, so I think I have a right to speak to this debacle.....
It's just a football game, people......Lighten up, Waa Hoo !! :rollseyes:

Where do you think the term "Redskins" came from? It refers to the bloody, red scalp of a Native American.