• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Simms on Andrew Luck

UTVOLMTNMAN

The Rapture Is Coming
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I saw this earlier.

Phil: Your kids suck. So quit ragging on others who don't because your kids suck and you rode Jeff Hostettler.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with Phil Simms on most his points, because they're the same points I've been trying to articulate in the NFL Draft / College football thread. So far all we've seen from Luck is his ability to manage a game. Andrew Luck like Alex Smith isn't asked to do much in the offense. He also has a great supporting cast around him, which is another reason why he's difficult to gauge. Sam Bradford was the same way.

RJF has jumped into this mess too saying, Andrew Luck wouldn't be the consensus #1 overall pick if he played in the SEC.

Week after week Luck continues to face average to weak defensive competition. It's not his fault, but until he plays a Bama or LSU type of team, then you're really overrating Luck, because he has not been able to be given the chance to put his team on his back against a defense that matches up well.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry, but you lost credibility when you compared Luck to Alex Smith.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyones got there opinions. Nothing matters until they prove themsleves in the NFL. Time will tell.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A agree Supra. I will say he threw deep to WRs more last season because he actually had some WRs. Remember how high I was on Baldwin and look at him now. I'll never understand how he went undrafted.

Luck has been in an offense that loves to run and has been very successful at it. Just like Smith is doing this season in the same offense. I know it bothers some to hear that but that is what this offense is. Successful run game with game management by the QB. I've been watching it for three years now.

The point Simms was making was he doesn't think Luck has the arm Elway had and he left open the door to be wrong about it if Luck chucks it deep in the NFL. I think it is kind of stupid to judge the arm on a guy who isn't asked to throw deep very much thanks to the offense he is in and the lack of deep threat WRs. Owusu was the deep threat 3 years ago but he's been an injured bum ever since, Baldwin was last season, and nobody this season. Owusu finally shed his knee brace last week and was on kickoff return for the first time in I don't know how long so maybe he'll resurface.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Phil Simms on most his points, because they're the same points I've been trying to articulate in the NFL Draft / College football thread. So far all we've seen from Luck is his ability to manage a game. Andrew Luck like Alex Smith isn't asked to do much in the offense. He also has a great supporting cast around him, which is another reason why he's difficult to gauge. Sam Bradford was the same way.

RJF has jumped into this mess too saying, Andrew Luck wouldn't be the consensus #1 overall pick if he played in the SEC.

Week after week Luck continues to face average to weak defensive competition. It's not his fault, but until he plays a Bama or LSU type of team, then you're really overrating Luck, because he has not been able to be given the chance to put his team on his back against a defense that matches up well.

Very_interesting.jpg

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farrar countered Simm's point in this article yesterday...
Phil Simms: Andrew Luck hype is ***8216;a little too much***8217; - Shutdown Corner - NFLBlog - Yahoo! Sports

I like the point about Luck working in a WCO offense showing he is good at making quick reads and decisions (unlike Alex Smith).

Gee, it is Doug Baldwin on the receiving end of both of those throws. Nice.

Of course, the last time we saw Simms opining about college quarterbacks, he was threatening to do so with his fists after ESPN college analyst Desmond Howard said that Simms' son Matt was one of the worst quartebacks in the SEC. Perhaps Phil's just unhappy that his own kin's ability to make those big-time throws continues to go woefully unrecognized.

Wow, I never ran across this. That is fucking hilarious. Matt Simms is probably the worst QB I have seen try and play in the SEC. No, I'm not exaggerating.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gee, it is Doug Baldwin on the receiving end of both of those throws. Nice.

Of course, the last time we saw Simms opining about college quarterbacks, he was threatening to do so with his fists after ESPN college analyst Desmond Howard said that Simms' son Matt was one of the worst quartebacks in the SEC. Perhaps Phil's just unhappy that his own kin's ability to make those big-time throws continues to go woefully unrecognized.

Wow, I never ran across this. That is fucking hilarious. Matt Simms is probably the worst QB I have seen try and play in the SEC. No, I'm not exaggerating.

Was looking for a Phil Simms quote during a game in his rookie year, which he said Sanchez may have the best footwork in the league. Couldn't find the quote after a little scavenging, but did find a link from a questionable site to play witness.

Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman's Preseason - NFL Draft Prophecies

EDIT: Just to clarify, I couldn't agree less with Simms' assessment of Sanchez footwork. Simms completely based Sanchez footwork on a pro-day or workout. How he figured that he could assimilate Sanchez's footwork in shorts to that of a game situation is a mystery. Got to add pressure IMO to see if it's legit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stanford is good but the team isn't loaded at skill positions. they have some solid players and an excellent offensive line, but luck isn't playing for usc or oklahoma.

coming out of college a lot of people said peyton didn't have the arm strength to be worthy of consensus #1. a lot of qb's seem to develop more arm strength after they hit the nfl. brady and rodgers look 2x as strong in their throwing since they were in college.

rjf made better points than simms. i can't wait to see luck vs whatever sec team makes it to the big game.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I stopped reading here. Thanks for exposing your ignorance of Andrew Luck early in your post. Your opinion is worthless.

Carry on.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A agree Supra. I will say he threw deep to WRs more last season because he actually had some WRs. Remember how high I was on Baldwin and look at him now. I'll never understand how he went undrafted.

Luck has been in an offense that loves to run and has been very successful at it. Just like Smith is doing this season in the same offense. I know it bothers some to hear that but that is what this offense is. Successful run game with game management by the QB. I've been watching it for three years now.

The point Simms was making was he doesn't think Luck has the arm Elway had and he left open the door to be wrong about it if Luck chucks it deep in the NFL. I think it is kind of stupid to judge the arm on a guy who isn't asked to throw deep very much thanks to the offense he is in and the lack of deep threat WRs. Owusu was the deep threat 3 years ago but he's been an injured bum ever since, Baldwin was last season, and nobody this season. Owusu finally shed his knee brace last week and was on kickoff return for the first time in I don't know how long so maybe he'll resurface.

Luck is averaging 9.2 YPA. That puts him 1st in the PAC-12. Second place is Darron Thomas at 8.5 YPA. Luck's 9.2 would also put him 1st in the SEC, 2nd in the Big 12 (behind Griffin who's at 10.2), 2nd in the Big Ten (second only to Wilson who's at over 11), and 2nd in the ACC (behind Renne who's just over Luck at 9.5).

Where is this myth that all what Stanford does is dink and dunk coming from? Luck isn't even close to being a just a game manager.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after thinking for 2 seconds about this. maybe phil simms likes guys with big arms, like jemarcus russe, boller, etc. would he be one of 2 people to have drafted ryan leaf over manning years ago? i kinda think so.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luck is averaging 9.2 YPA. That puts him 1st in the PAC-12. Second place is Darron Thomas at 8.5 YPA. Luck's 9.2 would also put him 1st in the SEC, 2nd in the Big 12 (behind Griffin who's at 10.2), 2nd in the Big Ten (second only to Wilson who's at over 11), and 2nd in the ACC (behind Renne who's just over Luck at 9.5).

Where is this myth that all what Stanford does is dink and dunk coming from?

Where is this myth coming from? Who said Luck's a dink and dunk QB?