• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Perhaps one of the Worst trades in Sports History....

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Chip loading up on RB's when his fast paced offense is a mostly passing offense?

Even when he was actually on the field, he made no one around him better. That's what true superstars due.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Chip loading up on RB's when his fast paced offense is a mostly passing offense?

Even when he was actually on the field, he made no one around him better. That's what true superstars due.

Chip's offense uses the run game to set up the passing game.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford was NEVER a superstar. Maybe like the chick off SNL?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
enut don't patronize me, there is nothing to get here, it's a monster risk, and Chips got huge balls to try it.

Monster risk? Foles and a 2nd rounder?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a 1/2 second behind as usual. Cannot scramble, avoid pressure, or make a play out of nothing to save his life.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with the Bradford assessment. He may not be a great QB. Obviously Kelly disagrees.

But at the end of the day, this is not a huge move or risk. Your trading Foles and a #2 for this guy. Obviously Kelly likes Bradford better and STL likes Foles better. So given that, its a good move for both teams to get to work with the player they prefer.

But from a risk perspective, this is not huge. Its a #2 pick for the QB you prefer.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this case, I think I learned..

1. That Sam Bradford is now healthy and ready to role and that multiple teams were/are interested in him and think his injury woes may be behind him.
2. That Chip didn't really like Foles all that much and wanted to upgrade.
3. I also realized that players Cap number in their last year of their rookie contract is probably meaningless as that contract is probably going to be replace in about 2-3 weeks.
4. That Bradford was one of the last rookie to get a really bloated NFL contract before the new Players Agreement kicked in. He probably is not as worried about the money as most guys and may be willing to play out the last year of his deal.
5. That Bradford ran a spread offense in college and DeMarco Murray was his college roommate/teammate.

1st off, I hope Bradford recovers and does well. I go to 3-4 Eagles games per year. Where are you getting that he is healthy? This was the headline from his press conference, "Eagles' Sam Bradford isn't fully healed from ACL injury, but hopes to be in time for training camp." He is taking his rehab slower from his 2nd surgery.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st off, I hope Bradford recovers and does well. I go to 3-4 Eagles games per year. Where are you getting that he is healthy? This was the headline from his press conference, "Eagles' Sam Bradford isn't fully healed from ACL injury, but hopes to be in time for training camp." He is taking his rehab slower from his 2nd surgery.

The Eagles spent the last 4 weeks doing due diligence on this guy. This due diligence had to be primarily about his health. I am assuming their doctors have thoroughly reviewed his file and signed off on the deal. You don't do a trade like this without doing that sort of thing.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip runs more than passes, so the idea that his offense is a pass-first offense is incorrect.

However, I do consider the idea of him paying for a workhorse back to be confusing, because he typically likes to run three backs, a committee type of deal.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles spent the last 4 weeks doing due diligence on this guy. This due diligence had to be primarily about his health. I am assuming their doctors have thoroughly reviewed his file and signed off on the deal. You don't do a trade like this without doing that sort of thing.
Whatever due diligence they have done, that's a far cry from him being fully healthy and ready to go. He should make a full recovery but isn't there just yet.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charles Barkley was traded for a trio of end of the bench scrubs in this town and this trade is one of the worst in sports history? The only way this trade EVER gets in the same stratosphere is if Foles ends up in the HOF.
I agree. Remember we traded Wilt.Phila has a history of trading great players.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised the Ron Solt trade Buddy Ryan made was not on the list. 1st and a 4th for a guy who played a few games for us. Came here hurt just like Bradford had have another surgery
He was also suspended for steroids.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
enut don't patronize me, there is nothing to get here, it's a monster risk, and Chips got huge balls to try it.

It looked to me like you answered your own question. But then you typed a bunch of other stuff. We had to pay more because of Bradford's upside. Multiple teams were interested in that upside. No one except the Rams wanted Nick Foles. So of course we couldn't just flip the two guys. We had to give up more so we could actually acquire him instead of him going somewhere else.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with a second ACL surgery on the same knee is that, according to experts, "revision ACL reconstructions are more likely to fail than primary reconstructions. And recovery time is longer that the last time." Bradford tore the ACL in his left knee on Oct. 20, 2013. It was re-injured 10 months later in an Aug. 23 preseason game. It seems better than 50-50 that he'll be ready for the 2015 preseason. But It won't take much to re-injure this knee. I would be worried but maybe we'll get lucky. Still, I would have preferred Foles and Murray.

Last edited:

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day it's History that is the final judge as to the value of a trade. Look at the Skins giving up 4 high picks to get RG3. no way this turns out as bad as that one.
Speaking of which, St. Louis must have some wicked trade mojo to pull off these deals.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day it's History that is the final judge as to the value of a trade. Look at the Skins giving up 4 high picks to get RG3. no way this turns out as bad as that one.
Speaking of which, St. Louis must have some wicked trade mojo to pull off these deals.

Yes and History is what says this was a horrible trade. History says most players who have not played for two years coming off injury never make it back to play and the ones who do are no where near the players they were. History says that the last 12 Super Bowls have been won by QB's from the teams that they were drafted and developed by.

The one thing that really chaps my ass about this is Chip saying he never even shopped Foles to anyone else. WTF is that. He got negative value for Foles in my opinion. I believe Foles should be worth the equivalent of a late first round value, which in my opinion is 2 2nd round picks. Now anyone here think a broken down player like Bradford is worth 3 2nd round picks? Heck Chip isn't even sold he is healthy. He resigned Sanchez for what could be full time starter money. Even if Bradford plays and he plays better than Foles is it going to be that much better? Bradfords body of work suggests No.

People say this was a risk. I say its not a risk, at least with a risk there is a hope of an upside. This is a mistake. Plane and simple. Basing an evaluation on a player based on his college play 5 years and 3 major injurys later. Not good. Basing an evaluation on how a player played two years ago before tearing the ACL in the same knee twice is not good.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and History is what says this was a horrible trade. History says most players who have not played for two years coming off injury never make it back to play and the ones who do are no where near the players they were. History says that the last 12 Super Bowls have been won by QB's from the teams that they were drafted and developed by.

The one thing that really chaps my ass about this is Chip saying he never even shopped Foles to anyone else. WTF is that. He got negative value for Foles in my opinion. I believe Foles should be worth the equivalent of a late first round value, which in my opinion is 2 2nd round picks. Now anyone here think a broken down player like Bradford is worth 3 2nd round picks? Heck Chip isn't even sold he is healthy. He resigned Sanchez for what could be full time starter money. Even if Bradford plays and he plays better than Foles is it going to be that much better? Bradfords body of work suggests No.

People say this was a risk. I say its not a risk, at least with a risk there is a hope of an upside. This is a mistake. Plane and simple. Basing an evaluation on a player based on his college play 5 years and 3 major injurys later. Not good. Basing an evaluation on how a player played two years ago before tearing the ACL in the same knee twice is not good.

- Its not unprecedented for QBs to play well after returning from ACL injury. Both Tom Brady and Donovan McNabb have. A Look at Quarterback ACL Tears: Will RGIII Bounce Back?
- Your simply wrong on your last 12 Super Bowl QBs. Drew Brees was an injury risk that the Saints took a flyer on and they won a Super Bowl with him. And Brad Johnson was a Minnesota draftee who won a Super Bowl for Tampa 12 years ago. Going back further, you will find Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Doug Williams and Jim Plunkett all won Super Bowls while playing for the team that didn't draft them. There is hardly a magic formula for keeping your drafted QB to win a Super Bowl.
- Signing Sanchez to me is great risk mitigation and the sort of move good teams do. You never put your fate in the health or performance of just one player. You should always have a backup plan. Its why the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers and kept him on the bench for several years behind Favre and the 49ers traded for Steve Young and kept him on the bench behind Joe Montana.
- Kelly spent 4 weeks studying this before he pulled the trigger. I would say he probably knows more about Bradford's knee and his prospects than either you or I.

At the end of the day, its never going to be a horrible trade unless one of these guys goes on to a hall of fame career and the other one does not. Today though, its little more that a starting QB swap plus a #2. That is not a huge risk and doesn't come anywhere close to being even under consideration for historically good or bad as there simply isn't that much put at risk.

I believe that Kelly simply didn't like Foles that much and if he kept him was considering giving Sanchez the start over him. If Kelly thought that way, it's really a no brainer to trade Foles while he still had value.

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Bradford - Philadelphia Eagles - 2015 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

ESPN's Josina Anderson passes along buzz from West Virginia's pro day Friday that "some coaches" in attendance are "not convinced" the Eagles will keep Sam Bradford.
There's some belief in league circles that Bradford will be used as trade bait to get to the Titans at No. 2 overall and give coach Chip Kelly a chance to select Marcus Mariota. One would then ask, "Why didn't the Rams deal directly with the Titans then?" The Titans didn't have a quarterback like Nick Foles to send the Rams back in Bradford talks, and the Rams may not be high on Mariota. We know Kelly is, as he has stated numerous times. As we've learned with Kelly, he has no fear and isn't scared to make bold, complicated football decisions. Mar 15 - 12:12 PM
Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter