• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Perhaps I'm jsut being sensitive...

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can clearly see your point, Mem. Not sure if it is a shot across the bow, although it wouldn't surprise me with Schwartzy. It could also be intentionally framed that way by the NFL, remember - rivalries boost ratings.

It would help if more context were available such as the lead in question to his answer.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I see what you're seeing Mem but I don't think he's taking a shot at Harbaugh or he would be also taking a shot at Pete Carroll and a lot of other coaches.

What it looks like he's basically saying is that you would rather have players that were head and shoulders above everyone else than a competition to see who sucks the least. I mean would you rather have Patrick Willis who has no competition or a bunch of average linebackers competing for the spot?

Also what he said lines up somewhat with Harbaugh's thinking as well. Because they both believe in bringing in a lot of good players will naturally foster competition and overall lead to better play on the field.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those that see what I'm referring to, I agree that it's not blatant and I normally wouldn't have even made a connection if it wasn't for Schwartz's douchey propensity.

For those that don't, here is what I'm referring to...

"I don't know that I've ever really gone in saying, 'You want to have good competition,'" Schwartz said according to Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. "What you really want is you want to have good players. If you have enough good players, you'll have competition, but I don't know we're really looking to say, 'We're trying to have competition.' We're trying to have good players, and I think we have a couple there."

Not a big deal (it IS a very slow period) but I think it's quite a coincidence that he downplays what Harbaugh, Baalke and the players are always their goal and an integral part of getting better.