• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Perhaps FBS teams playing FCS teams is now the norm (or I was wrong)

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2018 there were ONLY 22 FBS teams that did not play a FCS team:

"Arizona State, Boise State, Indiana, Maryland, Miami (Ohio), Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Texas, UCLA, USC, UTSA, Wisconsin"

(I was surprised to find this out) ---While it is true that some State Legislature require some State schools to play another in State school every year( which produces some FCS play) … It appears that over 100 FBS teams scheduled and played FCS schools now … One would have to admit that it has become the norm to do so.

I guess I am old school and look at this as sneaking in the back down to become Bowl Eligible one is forced to admit that the SOS schedules are getting weaker...

My Compliments to: Arizona State, Boise State, Indiana, Maryland, Miami (Ohio), Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Texas, UCLA, USC, UTSA, Wisconsin in continuing to play a quality schedule and giving the home fans a full schedule worth watching

So perhaps my picking on Florida and DR all of these years was wrong … (naaa that can't be right)

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska played Bethane Cooking School (or something).
But thanks for the props. Even if it was wrong.

stabnburn

Moderately-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're always wrong. You're one of the dumbest people I've ever encountered.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ people who cry about playing FCS schools. Because playing Ball State is so much better than playing James Madison.

Even worse when the person crying doesn't realize the history of it and thinks all a sudden everyone is playing them.

The teams he listed are actually the ones that recently stopped playing them, and most of them only did so because their conference passed a rule against it.

USC and Notre Dame are the only 2 teams I know of that haven't been playing them consistently. Not that it means anything.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Arizona State, Boise State, Indiana, Maryland, Miami (Ohio), Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Texas, UCLA, USC, UTSA, Wisconsin"

(I was surprised to find this out) ---While it is true that some State Legislature require some State schools to play another in State school every year( which produces some FCS play) … It appears that over 100 FBS teams scheduled and played FCS schools now … One would have to admit that it has become the norm to do so.

I guess I am old school and look at this as sneaking in the back down to become Bowl Eligible one is forced to admit that the SOS schedules are getting weaker...

My Compliments to: Arizona State, Boise State, Indiana, Maryland, Miami (Ohio), Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Texas, UCLA, USC, UTSA, Wisconsin in continuing to play a quality schedule and giving the home fans a full schedule worth watching

So perhaps my picking on Florida and DR all of these years was wrong … (naaa that can't be right)
I see the broncos, the rockies, and the chiefs? Who's your CFB team? Put up or shut up!

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the broncos, the rockies, and the chiefs? Who's your CFB team? Put up or shut up!
Based on having the Chiefs & Broncos, I’m betting his CFB teams are either:
Michigan & Ohio State, or
Alabama & Auburn.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a matter of time until the playing field is leveled with the same number of conference games and such.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a matter of time until the playing field is leveled with the same number of conference games and such.

We're not even close to a standardized schedule. It needs to happen but each conference governs themselves and their own best interest.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one should be playing FCS teams...there's plenty of G5 teams willing to play.

Even worse is playing 2.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you didn’t realize playing FCS teams was normal, then you have been watching college football for decades. Every year roughly 75-80% of P5 teams play an FCS opponent.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one should be playing FCS teams...there's plenty of G5 teams willing to play.

Even worse is playing 2.

...and yet everyone does...not every year obviously, but the last time Oregon went without was 2009, Alabama last did it in 2011. You could count on 1 hand the number that don't.

I generally find that those saying it shouldn't happen are those that are advocating for a G5 playoffs or that we should pay every player $50,000. All of which demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding about the funding of college athletics.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and yet everyone does...not every year obviously, but the last time Oregon went without was 2009, Alabama last did it in 2011. You could count on 1 hand the number that don't.

I generally find that those saying it shouldn't happen are those that are advocating for a G5 playoffs or that we should pay every player $50,000. All of which demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding about the funding of college athletics.
I'm in favor of neither of those proposals. I recognize that Oregon schedules these games, but I never attend them.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in favor of neither of those proposals. I recognize that Oregon schedules these games, but I never attend them.

I know for a lot of people at Alabama it's one they don't go to, but for a lot of fans, because ticket prices have gotten so out of hand, it's the only one they can afford to take their family to.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know for a lot of people at Alabama it's one they don't go to, but for a lot of fans, because ticket prices have gotten so out of hand, it's the only one they can afford to take their family to.
That's what the spring game is for.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arizona State plays Sac State, Boise plays Portland State, Indiana plays Eastern illinois...

Most play at least 1 FCS opponent in a season. Notre Dame still does not, but they also don't have a CCG to every worry about.

Colorado does not play any FCS schools.