• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pederson: Andy Reid with adjustments

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the start of the season, former NFL GM Mike Lombardi said Doug Pederson was the worst coaching hire in the NFL in decades. Now, Doug Pederson is coaching in an NFL title game, despite losing his young star QB, HOF caliber LT and signal calling MLB. And Lombardi is still a fat fuck (he recently admitted he was wrong).

Pederson kind of looks like a meathead. Maybe he is a meathead. The jury is still out on whether he is anything special. But, he has already shown one trait his mentor, Andy Reid, never has: He learns from mistakes and makes adjustments.

After losing earlier in the year to his old team, the Chiefs, Pederson analyzed the play-calling and realized he was giving up on the run too early. He adopted a more balanced attack going forward.

When Nick Foles struggled trying to run the offense, Pederson went back and simplified it to be more like what Foles ran earlier when he had success.

After the Eagles struggled on special teams last week, he spent some of this week working with the special teams coach, knowing this next game is going to be a defensive struggle and a turnover on STs could make or break a game.

Reid? He still hasn't bought a watch it seems, much less learned to call a balanced attack.

Doug Pederson takes hands-on role in correcting Eagles’ special teams mistakes

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pederson's best trait is that he's not afraid to change and doesn't seem stubborn or set in his ways. Surrounded himself with a good coaching staff who he seems to actually listen to.

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pederson's best trait is that he's not afraid to change and doesn't seem stubborn or set in his ways. Surrounded himself with a good coaching staff who he seems to actually listen to.

^ This. A good leader isn't someone who knows everything. A good leader is someone who can get people to come together and mold their great ideas into a working system. Reid always struck me as someone who wanted to be viewed as a genius, that "his" way was what won. Doug strikes me as someone who wants to win - and doesn't care how it happens. Biggest reason I love Doug though is he eschews the old philosophies and goes for it (correctly) on 4th down.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug is showing all the qualities that will make for a great coach that will get you somewhere.

Andy Reid showed by year 3 he was not the man to do so. It just took some a decade longer to finally see it. But he was consistent the entire time, and is why it is an absolute joke that people blamed McNabb for the flaws of Reid. 4 NFCC games in 5 years??? WOW, what a wasted SB window Reid wasted. Most pass happy offense with the worst set of starting WRs, all to pass 10+ mil of useable resources into future years instead of putting better talent on the roster. But Reid is a great coach. Uh, yea. Thank gawd it was time for a great coach to leave.

Pederson + Wentz... the future is looking bright.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug has blended the best of the WCO and the college spread offenses. His playbook is awesome and he has great feel for the game. We are on the leading edge of the next decade of dominant NFL offense.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid's steady approach is really good for building up a team. But it runs into problems when it comes to taking that team from contender to champion.

It's kind of sad that he doesn't seem capable of making in-game adjustments, and of adjusting his philosophy despite repeated failures.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid's steady approach is really good for building up a team. But it runs into problems when it comes to taking that team from contender to champion.

It's kind of sad that he doesn't seem capable of making in-game adjustments, and of adjusting his philosophy despite repeated failures.
Consider that after two decades of being close and watching mcnabb betray him, the franchise, and the fans he has got caught looking ahead twice. Both times his team was dominating and took their foot off the gas.

He didn't blow big leads here like that. These are the after effects of witnessing Donovan mcnabb's crushing inadequacy in the most important games.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, so it is McNabb's fault he choked in KC?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best thing that needs to be done for Peterson and the teams consistency is to hold what coaches they can (really tough to do). More importantly I think Lurie needs to try to do all it takes to keep the brain trust in place. Howie gets a lot of acclaim for picks and moves the last few years....but I think it is that personnel team. Maybe Howie has learned from guys that are being offered other jobs....but i do want to keep that team as long as possible.

Innovative and explosive offense only works if the player personnel moves are more spot on than not.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, its Andy Reid's fault he witnessed Donovan mcnabb's crushing inadequacy in the most important games.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Pederson as a coach. KC has had red-zone offense issue since he left. I think he Pederson could be top 5 moving forward although I like Mike Zimmer more in terms of the current matchup.

I think its arguable that KC has had a mediocre roster that has been overachieving based on Reid getting the most out of his passing game. KC has been playing with one of the worst defenses the past two seasons but the AFC West has been so down that they haven't been able to take advantage of it. KC has been a .500 team outside of the AFC West the past two years.

You just have Alex Smith having a career year right when he is getting replaced so the Chiefs were able to win a few games Alex Smith from previous years would not have won.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

isn't it amazing, even with hindsight and things "SO" obvious that some are still blind??? But that is what blind hate is. We also completely wasted the resources of having TO here as well. I'm glad we didn't treat Jeffrey that way.

To be fair to Reid tho -- Banner had just as much to do with our SB window being ring-less. Just from a roster talent perspective. Reid just couldn't adjust and is simply the most unadjusting stubborn coach I've ever seen in my life.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Pederson as a coach. KC has had red-zone offense issue since he left. I think he Pederson could be top 5 moving forward although I like Mike Zimmer more in terms of the current matchup.

I think its arguable that KC has had a mediocre roster that has been overachieving based on Reid getting the most out of his passing game. KC has been playing with one of the worst defenses the past two seasons but the AFC West has been so down that they haven't been able to take advantage of it. KC has been a .500 team outside of the AFC West the past two years.

You just have Alex Smith having a career year right when he is getting replaced so the Chiefs were able to win a few games Alex Smith from previous years would not have won.

KC had a very strong defense when Reid got there. That was one of the things we all commented on here that PHI had a strong defense when he got here - and Reid tends to ride strong defense while he focuses on the offense. Unfortunately (and I said this when Reid left here) he tends to let the defense do a slow ride to misery as he is not the best at restocking that talent or scheme. He is very limited to the DC that he brings in. When he left here in PHI our defense was in shambles and the worst it had been in his tenure. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same in KC. Reid is one animal that doesn't change his stripes.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isn't it amazing, even with hindsight and things "SO" obvious that some are still blind??? But that is what blind hate is. We also completely wasted the resources of having TO here as well. I'm glad we didn't treat Jeffrey that way.

To be fair to Reid tho -- Banner had just as much to do with our SB window being ring-less. Just from a roster talent perspective. Reid just couldn't adjust and is simply the most unadjusting stubborn coach I've ever seen in my life.

:agree:

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles failed to win a ring due to personnel as well as coaching errors. So Banner bears some blame for sure. But Reid apparently also had a lot of say in personnel in that era. He pushed for McNabb, and a number of other draft picks.

Some panned out --McNabb is a top example despite what his haters say. Others like Freddie Mitchell were epic flops that could have made the difference, if instead we took, say, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith or Chad Johnson, who all went in the next 30 picks.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles failed to win a ring due to personnel as well as coaching errors. So Banner bears some blame for sure. But Reid apparently also had a lot of say in personnel in that era. He pushed for McNabb, and a number of other draft picks.

Some panned out --McNabb is a top example despite what his haters say. Others like Freddie Mitchell were epic flops that could have made the difference, if instead we took, say, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith or Chad Johnson, who all went in the next 30 picks.

I don't mind getting some draft picks wrong - that will happen.

What I "DO" mind, is not using FA, trades, etc to fix it!! Look no further than what Doug do to us going into this year. We had the worst set of WR's and worst set of CB's. He utilized the draft AND trades to make both strong areas for us! And then, he even made the RB position even better bringing in Ajayi, which an argument could be made was not needed, given we had Blount!!! Point is, you never miss an opportunity to improve your roster. How many years did we all lay out our biggest position needs, only to watch the draft and then scratch our heads because it was completely left field??? Yet all of Doug's draft picks made perfect sense (even if we would have possibly chosen a different person).

Instead, this team bought into bargain basements and passed a growing amount of money into future years - and not for the purpose of improving the roster - but to pass even MORE the following year. There was a conflict business model here between money savings and winning championships.

I agree that Reid had a lot of say and could have had a bigger influence, but Banner also had Lurie's ear. It took Reid a very long time to step up and speak up for Westbrook and say "just pay the man" and even so - did it very subtly. Reid was a company man that didn't like to make waves.

The 1 year we bring in a stud WR and we not only go to the SB, we dominate the entire season. We got an unspeakable 4 weeks off for starters. And instead of rewarding TO and giving him a bonus and keeping him happy, Lurie instigates him (even after he had gone quiet and was trying to trust the 'phily way').

The biggest issue about that to me is -- we missed the opportunity to show the entire team - PERFORM... AND GET PAID. Instead, we paid $10 mil bonus to Maclin YEARS before his rookie contract was even over, just so he would pay for less in the future. What incentive did this give anyone to perform and become better??? That, imho, is on Banner. And indirectly to Reid for not speaking up against it.

The Reid/Banner marriage was horrible for us and wasted a golden opportunity to have been the real nemesis to stop the NE dynasty. McNabb had his faults like every QB does, but he was good enough at his position to win it all. Anyone that still blames McNabb after all this time, is just showing their blatant bias, and makes me seriously question anything else they say moving forward.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC had a very strong defense when Reid got there.
Chiefs were 2-14 the year before Reid showed up. Football Outsiders had their defense ranked 30th. Dontari Poe and Dee Ford not working out set the Chiefs back a bit and they also whiffed on 2 Cornerbacks. Losing trade capital for Alex Smith (worth it) and Maclin (not worth it) also set the defense back.

A lot of Chiefs fans thought bringing in Bennie Logan last year was a smart move but it didn't really even move the needle.

I don't think Reid has failed the defense yet. Most Chiefs fans knew we were moving on from Alex Smith and 2017 was halfway a rebuilding year. I think if the defense doesn't improve in 2018 then Reid is probably out the door because the Chiefs will likely be in full-on rebuild if the defense is bad again.