• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Payton's Top 20 College Football Jobs/Programs Today.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am trying my best to be honest with myself as far as if I were a coach, where would I want to coach taking currents state of affairs and prestige and ease of recruiting all into consideration... No list like this ever gets posted without being torn apart, I know so that is okay... Sure there are things I didn't think of. For instance... I can't think of a program that deserves to be #20... Virginia Tech? Oklahoma State? Michigan State? West Virginia? I have no idea! Don't even think Nebraska belongs anymore, but they have a pretty storied past that isn't TOO distant. Also, yes, I had a tough time around 11-15... That is where I expect grief and complaints of homerism with FSU.. :D Anyway, here's my list.

1) Alabama
2) Ohio State
3) Oklahoma
4) Texas
5) USC
6) Clemson
7) Florida
8) LSU
9) Georgia
10) Michigan
11) Auburn
12) Florida State
13) Notre Dame
14) Penn State
15) Texas A&M
16) Oregon
17) Tennessee
18) Wisconsin
19) Nebraska

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia is too low, and it's not really a homer statement. We're the 4th best state for football recruiting, first if you go by per capita, and unlike Florida, Texas and California, our only major program competition in state is a nerd school that ran the triple option for the last decade.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia is too low, and it's not really a homer statement. We're the 4th best state for football recruiting, first if you go by per capita, and unlike Florida, Texas and California, our only major program competition in state is a nerd school that ran the triple option for the last decade.

If Georgia ever got a Lincoln Riley, Swinney, or Urban Meyer they could be unstoppable. The recruiting grounds are unbelievable and there is more than enough financial support to hire top tier coordinators. Smart is too stuck in the mid 2000’s.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin seems pretty low.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck, Oklahoma State and Baylor may be better jobs than those.

I know, I know... Was trying to give them credit for what they once were, but... And Okie State was probably my front-runner for a #20 for what its worth... I always hear as well how North Carolina is some sort of "sleeping giant" with great facilities, etc... But until I see signs of life in Chapel Hill they will not make mine, nor any other list... :D

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson is really only six because of Dabo

I'd flip them and Georgia and put USC before Texas

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Georgia ever got a Lincoln Riley, Swinney, or Urban Meyer they could be unstoppable. The recruiting grounds are unbelievable and there is more than enough financial support to hire top tier coordinators. Smart is too stuck in the mid 2000’s.

He wants to be like Bama was in Saban's early days. Frustrating as hell. I'll say this is the best defense UGA has had in my lifetime, but our offense has regressed. We're thin at receiver, but there's no creativity to create space for playmakers. Not sure if I blame James Coley, or if Kirby is holding Coley back, but either way, Kirby made the bargain bin hire at OC.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin seems pretty low.

I know. To me they just seem to be one of those programs that is in their peak era, but ultimately it isn't a "destination type" program if that makes sense? All things being equal, it seems like a tough place to win long-term but are managing to do so...

Also could be that I remember the Wisconsin of the 1980s that was just GAWD awful! :D

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. To me they just seem to be one of those programs that is in their peak era, but ultimately it isn't a "destination type" program if that makes sense? All things being equal, it seems like a tough place to win long-term but are managing to do so...

Also could be that I remember the Wisconsin of the 1980s that was just GAWD awful! :D

I don't see anyone I'd put them in front of.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson is really only six because of Dabo

I agree, but I think the table is set there simply due to lack of viable competition...

Statesarehigh said:
I'd flip them and Georgia and put USC before Texas

USC and Texas are kind of interchangeable to me. Both monster programs that just can't find the right guy to lead them right now.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants to be like Bama was in Saban's early days. Frustrating as hell. I'll say this is the best defense UGA has had in my lifetime, but our offense has regressed. We're thin at receiver, but there's no creativity to create space for playmakers. Not sure if I blame James Coley, or if Kirby is holding Coley back, but either way, Kirby made the bargain bin hire at OC.
Even thinner now … for a very important 1st half in SECCG.

What was Pickens thinkin?

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ FSU before Notre Dame.

Recruiting hotbed, vs...

...well...

...Indiana

And the fact that kids these days aren't as enamored by Knute Rockne and probably haven't seen "Rudy"... ;)

Honestly, like I said, that area of the rankings was tough.

Auburn, Notre Dame, FSU, Penn State, A&M... You can make a case for all of them in any order.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck, Oklahoma State and Baylor may be better jobs than those.
$$??? Doubt it. Frost came on to a 7 year 35m contract. and during the 2nd season of his original contract received a 2 year extension..........

LOL Okie lite and bayLOL pfffffffffffffffffffffft silly durt berglah

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting hotbed, vs...

...well...

...Indiana

And the fact that kids these days aren't as enamored by Knute Rockne and probably haven't seen "Rudy"... ;)

Honestly, like I said, that area of the rankings was tough.

Auburn, Notre Dame, FSU, Penn State, A&M... You can make a case for all of them in any order.
ND barely recruits in Indiana … they go to national hotbeds and are very effective at getting talent from those.

You're talking one of the top blue blood places of CFB lore & prestige.

No way, an FSU goes in front of an ND job, unless ya hate the cold, harsh winters vs a sunny, cushy state.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even thinner now … for a very important 1st half in SECCG.

What was Pickens thinkin?

He got punched and he reacted. Costly move, but I'm hoping it'll be close at half time, and he can be a difference maker in the second half. He's a hell of a talent, but he's pretty boneheaded, and is prone to running bad routes. I think he has more potential, but Blaylock has impressed me more as a true freshman.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the list is about recency, how da hell does USC even make Top 20?

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got punched and he reacted. Costly move, but I'm hoping it'll be close at half time, and he can be a difference maker in the second half. He's a hell of a talent, but he's pretty boneheaded, and is prone to running bad routes. I think he has more potential, but Blaylock has impressed me more as a true freshman.
Huge loss for an entire half, bro. :tsk:

It looked like both players were goin at each other that play and Pickens shoulda been using his head thinking of having to play LSU next. I know it's tough walking away during a heat of the moment type stuff, but … dayum.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You ranked us fine. If you plan on running a purely pro style offense, we're probably a little higher because of our strengths attracting OL and RBs. But considering how few coaches run a pure pro-style offense now, if anything, you have us a little high. Look at our recruiting rankings, for instance.

Your biggest issue is Bama #1. They are a solid job, but I think most of the top nine are probably better destinations. I also think Oklahoma is a tad high. I would put Ohio State as #1, probably Texas as #2.