• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its official. Jack Yary will be joining the Huskies.

Given his unique situation,not sure if he'd be eligible to play this spring season if there is one, but would definitely be able to be out there next fall for sure.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU recently received a commitment from Ezra Dotson-Oyetade, the #7 composite center but #1 in center in actual 247 rankings.

Ezra Dotson-Oyetade, Lakeview Centennial, Center (FB)

There's some online fan confusion why he didn't have a stronger offer list and several Texas fans openly pushing for him, or wondering why not since his film is outstanding. Some thought he might be a little smaller than listed or have short arms, or some silly metric. If Kevin Mawae wants a center, I'm inclined to believe him over others. Especially when at least one of the services thinks he's the best C in the country this year.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU recently received a commitment from Ezra Dotson-Oyetade, the #7 composite center but #1 in center in actual 247 rankings.

Ezra Dotson-Oyetade, Lakeview Centennial, Center (FB)

There's some online fan confusion why he didn't have a stronger offer list and several Texas fans openly pushing for him, or wondering why not since his film is outstanding. Some thought he might be a little smaller than listed or have short arms, or some silly metric. If Kevin Mawae wants a center, I'm inclined to believe him over others. Especially when at least one of the services thinks he's the best C in the country this year.

One of the other ranking services must have adjusted a bit as Ezra Dotson-Oyetade is now a composite 4 star, which boosts ASU's class to #21 nationally. They've only got 5 or so slots left and many of their guys are lower rated projects (tall, fluid, can run, but need coaching), so I imagine as other classes fill in they might slip a bit but I think they'll be safely in the 20's for this cycle. This would be their 3rd straight year in the 20's. They've got shots at some more high end guys still too, so maybe they hold their spot if things bounce right.

If they did, it'd be the first back to back top 25's for ASU since 2015-2016, except now they seem to be much better at player development.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd love to see a 5 (5 division games) + 1 (OOC game). Oregon could still get to play Ohio State this season. Then have the CCG and Rose Bowl

Oregon vs. Ohio State
Washington vs. Michigan
USC vs. Penn State
Utah vs. Wisconsin
Arizona State vs. Minnesota
UCLA vs. Michigan State
Washington State vs. Purdue
Oregon State vs. Indiana
Stanford vs. Northwestern
Colorado vs. Nebraska
Arizona vs. Maryland

Big Ten Crossover OOC game
Rutgers vs. Illinois

Muncie2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see a 5 (5 division games) + 1 (OOC game). Oregon could still get to play Ohio State this season. Then have the CCG and Rose Bowl

Oregon vs. Ohio State
Washington vs. Michigan
USC vs. Penn State
Utah vs. Wisconsin
Arizona State vs. Minnesota
UCLA vs. Michigan State
Washington State vs. Purdue
Oregon State vs. Indiana
Stanford vs. Northwestern
Colorado vs. Nebraska
Arizona vs. Maryland

Big Ten Crossover OOC game
Rutgers vs. Illinois

I know you guys are nervous about playing Cal... but, not letting us play probably won't work.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah apparently just furloughed their entire athletic department.

Report: Utah to furlough every athletic department employee, including athletic director and coaches

Lack of income has always been a problem, but this has to be some kind of wake up call. I don't know if playing would save much considering the disparity in broadcast income. I'll be the first to admit I thought the original version of a conference owned television network was interesting at least, and possibly a stroke of brilliance.

I've long since changed my mind on it. Scott's plan has failed, and it may have killed the conference, or subjugated it to the minor leagues. I suspect he will go down as one of the worst sports executives in history, all because he lucked into Venus and Serena Williams at one point in his career so he could show that he'd made women's tennis profitable.

We're only 6 or 7 years removed from the Pac 12 being considered the second strongest football conference in the nation. Amazing how far it's fallen since. Shit basketball conference, mediocre football, indifferent fanbases outside of maybe 2 or 3 schools. Instead the powers that be got caught on concepts like equity without any real assurance of profitable contracts. As an ASU fan, I'm ashamed that Crow has seemed to be one of Scott's main cheerleaders. I like the general direction he's taken the university, but his backing of this will sour his legacy tremendously.

I can't begin to imagine what the future brings, but it obviously cannot continue as is. It may not be able to continue with its current membership.

Last edited:

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which schools are actually pulling their weight in terms of bringing in viewers and having a real fanbase? USC, Oregon, Washington. ASU and UCLA I think, as notoriously fickle and bandwagon as the fans are. Maybe Utah, maybe Colorado if the Buffs can ever stop tripping over their own dick? Arizona in shooty hoops.

I'm not sure which schools have active sugar daddies to get them through, but I wouldn't be surprised if other schools don't follow suit. I wonder if it's time to revisit the Pac 12/Big 12 merger on more humble terms than "Texas, Oklahoma, two more schools and fuck y'all". I think if we went back to the table, it might sound more like "USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA and fuck y'all."

I suspect the Big 12 would take the Arizona schools

Last edited:

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we get OG Mamba back now that AG is gone? This thread needs a constant poster. We've been on V6 of this thread way too long.

I wasn't a big fan of AG's politics and I assume that's what the ban was from (not in the loop), but I do miss rabid fans. The mods/admins probably know more, and it ain't my business, but this forum (which I liked because there are actual Pac 12 fans on it unlike most) seems a bit diminished.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we get OG Mamba back now that AG is gone? This thread needs a constant poster. We've been on V6 of this thread way too long.

I wasn't a big fan of AG's politics and I assume that's what the ban was from (not in the loop), but I do miss rabid fans. The mods/admins probably know more, and it ain't my business, but this forum (which I liked because there are actual Pac 12 fans on it unlike most) seems a bit diminished.

Don't see Mamba coming back, at least not anywhere close to as much as he used to. Apparently, dude has pretty much completely changed his life (for the better). Would like to see him back, but doubt it happens.

As for the version this thread is on...we used to have to end threads at 10,000 posts, but Hammer did a software upgrade shortly before he sold the place that changed that. That's why we are at over 13,400 posts on this version.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which schools are actually pulling their weight in terms of bringing in viewers and having a real fanbase? USC, Oregon, Washington. ASU and UCLA I think, as notoriously fickle and bandwagon as the fans are. Maybe Utah, maybe Colorado if the Buffs can ever stop tripping over their own dick? Arizona in shooty hoops.

I'm not sure which schools have active sugar daddies to get them through, but I wouldn't be surprised if other schools don't follow suit. I wonder if it's time to revisit the Pac 12/Big 12 merger on more humble terms than "Texas, Oklahoma, two more schools and fuck y'all". I think if we went back to the table, it might sound more like "USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA and fuck y'all."

I suspect the Big 12 would take the Arizona schools

The biggest problem, imo, is Scott.

The PAC-12 Network could have been (and possibly still could be) something that drove a lot of revenue to the conference, but he overplayed his hand with Directv. Not being on Directv is a huge miss. It shouldn't be easier for fans on the West Coast to watch games on the SEC or B1G Network than on the PAC-12 Network.

He also placed far too much focus on the "Olympic sports" rather than on football which pays for almost all other sports and basketball which for most schools, at least pays for itself, if not also turning a profit.

What I find interesting (and I don't know what to think of it) is that we're not hearing a peep out of USC. I can't imagine that not having a season is sitting well with some of the major boosters and donors, but so far, I haven't heard anything.

I hate to disparage other schools, but I thought bringing in Utah and Colorado was a bad idea at the time and have been proven right. Utah was essentially a mid-major and Colorado hasn't been any good since Kordell Stewart was there. Even Utah winning the PAC South a couple of times was more about USC being down than about Utah being good.

They were hastily brought in so that the PAC could have a CCG, but really didn't do anything to raise the conference profile or add viewers to the PAC-12 Network.

When the PAC brought in the Arizona schools, it made a lot more sense. Under Frank Kush, ASU's football team had essentially outgrown the WAC and Arizona was starting to make noise in basketball. Utah and Colorado didn't really bring anything like that to the conference.

The conference needs to get rid of Scott and bring in a Commissioner that knows how college athletics actually works.

Last edited:

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem, imo, is Scott.

The PAC-12 Network could have been (and possibly still could be) something that drove a lot of revenue to the conference, but he overplayed his hand with Directv. Not being on Directv is a huge miss. It shouldn't be easier for fans on the West Coast to watch games on the SEC or B1G Network than on the PAC-12 Network.

He also placed far too much focus on the "Olympic sports" rather than on football which pays for almost all other sports and basketball which for most schools, at least pays for itself, if not also turning a profit.

What I find interesting (and I don't know what to think of it) is that we're not hearing a peep out of USC. I can't imagine that not having a season is sitting well with some of the major boosters and donors, but so far, I haven't heard anything.

I hate to disparage other schools, but I thought bringing in Utah and Colorado was a bad idea at the time and have been proven right. Utah was essentially a mid-major and Colorado hasn't been any good since Kordell Stewart was there. Even Utah winning the PAC South a couple of times was more about USC being down than about Utah being good.

They were hastily brought in so that the PAC could have a CCG, but really didn't do anything to raise the conference profile or add viewers to the PAC-12 Network.

When the PAC brought in the Arizona schools, it made a lot more sense. Under Frank Kush, ASU's football team had essentially outgrown the WAC and Arizona was starting to make noise in basketball. Utah and Colorado didn't really bring anything like that to the conference.

The conference needs to get rid of Scott and bring in a Commissioner that knows how college athletics actually works.

Well thought out post. What do you think the PAC 12 needs to do moving forward besides getting rid of LS?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see Mamba coming back, at least not anywhere close to as much as he used to. Apparently, dude has pretty much completely changed his life (for the better). Would like to see him back, but doubt it happens.

As for the version this thread is on...we used to have to end threads at 10,000 posts, but Hammer did a software upgrade shortly before he sold the place that changed that. That's why we are at over 13,400 posts on this version.
Mamba quit drinking, lost weight, and went back to religion.

This place doesn't make much sense sober does it? :noidea:

WABLTY said:
this forum (which I liked because there are actual Pac 12 fans on it unlike most) seems a bit diminished.
This thread was always fairly slow in the off season. In the era of Covid? I'm not sure why it's a mystery that there isn't much action.

The question is how many return to the same level of fandom after this all goes away. Between the division in how this virus is viewed and what seems reasonable to do to respond to it, and whatever teams/coaches/players have weighed in on BLM/social issues, politics are souring sports for some fans.

I'll return 100% even if they keep watering it down and we have the devil for our commish who keeps further destroying our conf. Just going to wait out the storm for now. No real interest in getting into the sports politics while waiting for the storm to pass so why post much? If we have games in Jan or whatever they are discussing now I'll be back to support my base. It's what I do.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well thought out post. What do you think the PAC 12 needs to do moving forward besides getting rid of LS?

To start with, go back to Directv and get a deal worked out so that the PAC-12 Network can get more people watching.

And with the programming, cater more to the sports that pay the bills. It's great to get to watch some of the Olympic sports (especially the women's volleyball teams :eyebrows:), but most people aren't tuning in for those.

Act like a "big boy conference". Get rid of "PAC After Dark". Play your games when people are actually watching instead of when 2/3 of the country is asleep and get rid of the Friday night games too. Those night and weeknight games are for the mid-majors.

Promote the "glamour schools" in the major sports.

Either have the CCG in Vegas, have it at the home stadium of the team with the better record or alternate which division champ gets to host it. But most of all, quit having it on Friday night.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know that the PAC is spending significantly more on it's headquarters than any of the other major conferences. That doesn't seem like a big thing until you realize it's millions of dollars more.

That's just the common sense/obvious stuff. I'm sure someone smarter than me can come up with a good bit more.