• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacific Takes Pac-12 bowl projections 10.24.18: Washington schools take conference’s best bowl slots

Rose Bowl - Washington vs. Ohio State - I think the Huskies have the best schedule for getting to the Rose Bowl. They get Stanford at home, don’t have any true trap games and close at Washington State, who they still match up very well against. We’ll put them in Pasadena for now.

Alamo Bowl - Washington State vs. West Virginia - I think the Cougars drop two more, but that leaves them with just three loses and sends Mike Leach back to Texas to take on a Big 12 foe.

Holiday Bowl - Utah vs. Iowa - The Utes are the hottest team in the Pac-12 right now, but they’re in the midst of a brutal schedule and will probably drop another game or two. San Diego will be a nice landing spot.

Redbox Bowl - Oregon vs. Michigan State - The Ducks came crashing down in Pullman, but the good news is I think they only lose one the rest of the way and that should put them in a decent bowl.

Sun Bowl - Stanford vs. Virginia Tech - The Cardinal have been sliding, and while I think they recover to an extent, their November schedule isn’t easy and they should fall to the bottom of the Pac-12 North leader board.

Las Vegas Bowl - USC vs. San Diego State - Not sure if Clay Helton will be around for this trip to Vegas. The Trojans could end up here even if they win the South with how many loses they might stack up and if they’re dealing with firing a coach.

Cheez-It Bowl - Colorado vs. Iowa State - The Buffs are through the toughest part of their schedule and now need to win just one more to confirm a bowl game.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacific Takes Pac-12 bowl projections 10.24.18: Washington schools take conference’s best bowl slots

Rose Bowl - Washington vs. Ohio State - I think the Huskies have the best schedule for getting to the Rose Bowl. They get Stanford at home, don’t have any true trap games and close at Washington State, who they still match up very well against. We’ll put them in Pasadena for now.

Alamo Bowl - Washington State vs. West Virginia - I think the Cougars drop two more, but that leaves them with just three loses and sends Mike Leach back to Texas to take on a Big 12 foe.

Holiday Bowl - Utah vs. Iowa - The Utes are the hottest team in the Pac-12 right now, but they’re in the midst of a brutal schedule and will probably drop another game or two. San Diego will be a nice landing spot.

Redbox Bowl - Oregon vs. Michigan State - The Ducks came crashing down in Pullman, but the good news is I think they only lose one the rest of the way and that should put them in a decent bowl.

Sun Bowl - Stanford vs. Virginia Tech - The Cardinal have been sliding, and while I think they recover to an extent, their November schedule isn’t easy and they should fall to the bottom of the Pac-12 North leader board.

Las Vegas Bowl - USC vs. San Diego State - Not sure if Clay Helton will be around for this trip to Vegas. The Trojans could end up here even if they win the South with how many loses they might stack up and if they’re dealing with firing a coach.

Cheez-It Bowl - Colorado vs. Iowa State - The Buffs are through the toughest part of their schedule and now need to win just one more to confirm a bowl game.

The Cheez-It Bowl?:pound:Is this a joke because weed's legal here?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good solid coach, but the question is still out there if he can take the program to that last step level and be a cornerstone in the playoff hunt at least half the time. We need him to take a step to another level in hiring coaching staff for example.

Completely disagree. We can’t bitch and moan about offensive coodonators and special teams and whatever else all we want, but he’s more than proven himself in his first 5 years.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely disagree. We can’t bitch and moan about offensive coodonators and special teams and whatever else all we want, but he’s more than proven himself in his first 5 years.
So you view him as already in the same class as Saban, Meyer, etc? I'd put him in that next tier, but Dabo and those at the top have proven to be at that last step. The very top rung. The pinnacle. Petersen is not there yet IMO. He has to let go of how he did things as a high functioning mid-major and get his hands dirty in the top level of the game. He's got to be much tougher on holding his staff accountable. He's got to get into the mud and land those 5* kids. Until then he's a solid second tier coach that 120 schools in FBS would love to have.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you view him as already in the same class as Saban, Meyer, etc? I'd put him in that next tier, but Dabo and those at the top have proven to be at that last step. The very top rung. The pinnacle. Petersen is not there yet IMO. He has to let go of how he did things as a high functioning mid-major and get his hands dirty in the top level of the game. He's got to be much tougher on holding his staff accountable. He's got to get into the mud and land those 5* kids. Until then he's a solid second tier coach that 120 schools in FBS would love to have.
I don’t know, I’m not big on placing everyone in tiers. My expectations are clear though, I want the team to always be in the hunt for conference championships. If they do that the playoff hopes most of the time will be a nice bonus. I don’t see them falling off as one of the yearly conference favorites anytime soon.

My expectation was never to be Bama 2.0, and if it is yours, I have a hard time seeing where it came from. He’ll get his share of 5* recruits, but so far I think he’s gone about recruiting the right way, and I think results support that.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never bought into the idea that the o-line was going to be good.

To paraphrase John McKay..."I'm not surfe bringing everybody back from a bad o-line is a good thing". lol

I think this John McKay(while coaching Tampa Bay) quote is fitting.
Reporter- "Coach , how do you feel about your teams execution?"
John McKay- "I'm in favor of it"

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know, I’m not big on placing everyone in tiers. My expectations are clear though, I want the team to always be in the hunt for conference championships. If they do that the playoff hopes most of the time will be a nice bonus. I don’t see them falling off as one of the yearly conference favorites anytime soon.

My expectation was never to be Bama 2.0, and if it is yours, I have a hard time seeing where it came from. He’ll get his share of 5* recruits, but so far I think he’s gone about recruiting the right way, and I think results support that.
It's not like I'm saying he sucks or hasn't been the best coach they have had since James. I'm simply saying he hasn't yet reached his ceiling and there's more to squeeze out of it. Hamdan and Smith are examples of areas he needs to grow in IMO.

Dabo isn't going to take Clemson to the title game every year, but he's got them in the mix most and he has won. That's the bar/standard. Win a title and be competitive/ranked most seasons.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SportsPac12: 2018 Pac-12 Football - Bowl Projections Round-Up

—Where various publications have projected each Pac-12 team—

Arizona State

- ESPN/Bonagura: New Mexico vs. Nevada
- USA Today Sports: Texas vs TCU
- Sports Illustrated: New Mexico vs. Nevada
- SBNation: SERVPRO vs. North Texas

California
- Sporting News—Birmingham vs Memphis
Colorado
- ESPN/Bonagura: Cheez-It vs TCU
- USA Today Sports: Las Vegas vs San Diego State
- Sporting News: Sun vs. Florida State
- College Football News: Cheez-It vs. Iowa State
- SBNation: Sun vs. Miami
- Watch Stadium/McMurphy: Las Vegas vs. Utah State

Oregon
- ESPN/Bonagura: Redbox vs. Northwestern
- USA Today Sports: San Francisco vs. Northwestern
- Sports Illustrated: Holiday vs. Iowa
- Yahoo Sports: Fiesta vs. UCF
- College Football News: Holiday vs. Iowa
- SBNation: Redbox vs. Fresno State
- Watch Stadium/McMurphy: Sun vs. Virginia Tech

Stanford
- ESPN/Bonagura: Sun vs. Virginia
- USA Today Sports: Holiday vs. Iowa
- Sports Illustrated: Sun vs. Duke
- Sporting News: Cheez-It vs. Oklahoma
- College Football News: Las Vegas vs. Fresno State
- SBNation: Cheez-It vs. Iowa State
- Watch Stadium/McMurphy: Redbox vs. Northwestern

USC
- ESPN/Bonagura: Las Vegas vs. Fresno State
- USA Today Sports: Cheez-It vs. Iowa State
- Sports Illustrated: Las Vegas vs. Fresno State
- Sporting News: Las Vegas vs. Fresno State
- College Football News: Alamo vs. Texas Tech
- SBNation: Las Vegas vs. Fresno State
- Watch Stadium/McMurphy: Cheez-It vs. Iowa State

Utah
- ESPN/Bonagura: Holiday vs. Wisconsin
- USA Today Sports: Sun vs. Boston College
- Sports Illustrated: Redbox vs Northwestern
- Sporting News: San Francisco vs. Michigan State
- College Football News: Redbox vs. Northwestern
- SBNation: Holiday vs. Wisconsin
- Watch Stadium/McMurphy: Holiday vs. Pen State

Washington
- ESPN/Bonagura: Alamo vs. West Virginia
- USA Today Sports: Rose vs Michigan
- Sports Illustrated: Rose vs. Michigan
- Yahoo Sports: Rose vs Ohio State
- Sporting News: Holiday vs. Northwestern
- College Football News: Rose vs. Michigan
- SBNation: Alamo vs. Texas
- Watch Stadium/McMurphy: Alamo vs. West Virginia

Washington State
- ESPN/Bonagura: Rose vs. Ohio State
- USA Today Sports: Alamo vs. West Virginia
- Sports Illustrated: Alamo vs Texas Tech
- Sporting News: Rose vs Ohio State
- College Football News: Sun vs. Virginia Tech
- SBNation: Rose vs. Ohio State
- Watch Stadium/McMurphy: Rose vs. Ohio State
Cheese in a can bowl. Fitting

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like I'm saying he sucks or hasn't been the best coach they have had since James. I'm simply saying he hasn't yet reached his ceiling and there's more to squeeze out of it. Hamdan and Smith are examples of areas he needs to grow in IMO.

Dabo isn't going to take Clemson to the title game every year, but he's got them in the mix most and he has won. That's the bar/standard. Win a title and be competitive/ranked most seasons.

A title is obviously a goal, but by that standard you just laid out James didn’t prove himself until his 17th year.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban would have had Browning taken out for the year during spring drills with a vicious hit and had an excuse to change QBs. That's the difference. You pretty much have to not give a fuck about how loyal a players been to you. Even Pete would replace a veteran with a younger player in a heartbeat if he thought he gave the team a better shot. I still see Petersen as not having that Saban /Meyer gene. In a perfect world assholes like that wouldn't win. But in college football they are where they are because they do what ever it takes.
For all the bashing Clay Helton is a good man. He cares about his players and his staff. Sadly that's going to be his downfall.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A title is obviously a goal, but by that standard you just laid out James didn’t prove himself until his 17th year.
That is correct, with an *. I (and most fans) gave him credit in '84 when they were robbed of the title and it was given to BYU on the backs of a completely bullshit schedule. He didn't fully ascend until '91. That's how it is.

Those were different times though. You had to reach a consensus #1 on a major poll. Now you have to reach at least 4 and win to playoff games. Which is an easier path?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban would have had Browning taken out for the year during spring drills with a vicious hit and had an excuse to change QBs. That's the difference. You pretty much have to not give a fuck about how loyal a players been to you. Even Pete would replace a veteran with a younger player in a heartbeat if he thought he gave the team a better shot. I still see Petersen as not having that Saban /Meyer gene. In a perfect world assholes like that wouldn't win. But in college football they are where they are because they do what ever it takes.
For all the bashing Clay Helton is a good man. He cares about his players and his staff. Sadly that's going to be his downfall.
We do not know if Browning is still starting because of loyalty, or they do not feel the other options will produce better results. For all of the knocks on Browning, he does move the ball and score and does a good job of reading defenses. I know AG is head over heels for Haener, but we have no idea what he is under live fire with a game on the line. All we know is AG wants to bang his mom.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a playful (mostly) adversary with Softy, but it is tame as fuck compared to other HC's in other markets. I think it would take some major falling out with the school like happened to Don James for him to leave voluntarily.

He's a good solid coach, but the question is still out there if he can take the program to that last step level and be a cornerstone in the playoff hunt at least half the time. We need him to take a step to another level in hiring coaching staff for example.

I truly don’t think there is any question he can take a program to a perennial playoff contender as long as he quits being loyal to his previous type QB’s. You guys have Eason in the wings, a legit P5 QB. Browning is not nor has he been a playoff caliber QB. Browning is a great QB for Boise State, or a WSU or name your middle tier Pac 12 school but not a playoff caliber team. He’s not as good as the game managers that Alabama has had not put the game on his back like other playoff champs have had. With a playoff program caliber QB you guys were in it last year and would have killed Auburn regardless of how poor your play calling is. Your defense has been good enough to have a QB just manage the game not make dumb decisions like Browning seems to make during “big games”

Essentially he is Kellen Moore if Kellen Moore played more big games than his one a year.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do not know if Browning is still starting because of loyalty, or they do not feel the other options will produce better results. For all of the knocks on Browning, he does move the ball and score and does a good job of reading defenses. I know AG is head over heels for Haener, but we have no idea what he is under live fire with a game on the line. All we know is AG wants to bang his mom.

LOL. I have no idea if you have a better QB on the roster but I'm positive Saban would have given one of them a shot durring some game against a scrub team because Browning is kinda like Hurts. Good enough to win pretty much every game you're supposed to win but I don't think he steps it up in big (really big) games and takes you over the top. Lucky for you guys it's usually one of the last games. It's like having a car that can go 95 mph in a race where you know you need to go 100 to win. Since you're not in the playoff picture there's no need now. But I think if Saban was coaching the Huskies he would have been looking for a replacement.
AG wants to bang his own mom or Haeners mom? I'm confused.lol

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. I have no idea if you have a better QB on the roster but I'm positive Saban would have given one of them a shot durring some game against a scrub team because Browning is kinda like Hurts. Good enough to win pretty much every game you're supposed to win but I don't think he steps it up in big (really big) games and takes you over the top. Lucky for you guys it's usually one of the last games. It's like having a car that can go 95 mph in a race where you know you need to go 100 to win. Since you're not in the playoff picture there's no need now. But I think if Saban was coaching the Huskies he would have been looking for a replacement.
AG wants to bang his own mom or Haeners mom? I'm confused.lol
Oh shit, incoming pics of haeners mom coming in 3...2...1.... :L

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly don’t think there is any question he can take a program to a perennial playoff contender as long as he quits being loyal to his previous type QB’s. You guys have Eason in the wings, a legit P5 QB. Browning is not nor has he been a playoff caliber QB. Browning is a great QB for Boise State, or a WSU or name your middle tier Pac 12 school but not a playoff caliber team. He’s not as good as the game managers that Alabama has had not put the game on his back like other playoff champs have had. With a playoff program caliber QB you guys were in it last year and would have killed Auburn regardless of how poor your play calling is. Your defense has been good enough to have a QB just manage the game not make dumb decisions like Browning seems to make during “big games”

Essentially he is Kellen Moore if Kellen Moore played more big games than his one a year.
Eason wasn't eligible this year because of the transfer rule.

Behind Browning was Haener, a 6'0 196lb 3* pick that is a true soph this year, and two true frosh.

As many schools these days, the more seasoned guys that were on the roster have transferred since they weren't getting game time.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eason wasn't eligible this year because of the transfer rule.

Behind Browning was Haener, a 6'0 196lb 3* pick that is a true soph this year, and two true frosh.

As many schools these days, the more seasoned guys that were on the roster have transferred since they weren't getting game time.

Obviously Eason isn’t eligible but I’m just saying he is the first ever legitimate quarterback he has gotten that is P5 championship caliber.

True, but Petersen needs to recruit guys who are guys that can either carry you or manage the way McCarron and countless Bama QB’s have. Not a guy who is like Kellen Moore but thinks he is Russell Wilson.