• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Over the next 5 seasons, who will be the most successful program in the Big Ten West?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisky will win the West 3 times, Iowa will win it 1 and some other random will get a cake crossover schedule and win it 1

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisky will win the West 3 times, Iowa will win it 1 and some other random will get a cake crossover schedule and win it 1

tenor.gif

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the next 2 or 3 Minnesota. Fleck is the real deal but I don't know that he stays. 5 years from now either them if he stays or Nebraska or Wisconsin. If Frost is the guy then Nebraska, but the P5 landscape is littered with quality G5 coaches who couldn't make the transition.

I'm voting Wisconsin because they have been the most stable for the longest, at some point a blue blood is going to make Fleck an offer he can't refuse, and the jury is still out on Frost.

Due to COVID, I don't think there is a wrong answer amongst the 3 though. Budgets are going to be strained for a while which is going to give coaches more time before they get fired. This will give Frost more time to build his program if the next couple of years are lackluster and the boosters get antsy and could even the economic playing field if a USC or Texas has to pay a huge buyout and offer Fleck enough money to go on to a more prominent program.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People still thinking Nebraska is coming back at some point is stupid. Its been nearly 2 decades . Theyre no more coming back to CFB domination than Georgetown is to CBB or Wichita St is to College baseball.

Kids starting college this year have never even seen a top 10 Nebraska team. Forget natties.

All the trophies from the 70s/80s/90s have no more relevance to them than Minnesotas old trophies, Armys old trophies, Pitts old trophies.

They dont care

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin's recruiting is trending up. Combine that with a proven development system and they will continue to be the class of the West. They aren't in OSU country yet, but it's between them and Penn St for #2 in the conference

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin's recruiting is trending up. Combine that with a proven development system and they will continue to be the class of the West. They aren't in OSU country yet, but it's between them and Penn St for #2 in the conference

This is a very good point. Wisconsin has quietly improved their recruiting. To be fair, so has Iowa and Minnesota's recruiting. If they can keep it up, I think the Big Ten West is a lot stronger in 5 years than it has been the last 5 years.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People still thinking Nebraska is coming back at some point is stupid. Its been nearly 2 decades . Theyre no more coming back to CFB domination than Georgetown is to CBB or Wichita St is to College baseball.

Kids starting college this year have never even seen a top 10 Nebraska team. Forget natties.

All the trophies from the 70s/80s/90s have no more relevance to them than Minnesotas old trophies, Armys old trophies, Pitts old trophies.

They dont care

I've been saying this for years now. The catch is we aren't talking blue blood status. We're talking about being good enough to be a sacrificial lamb to Ohio State in the CCG and the same to Georgia or Oregon in a NYD bowl. They play in a weak division so 9-3 with the promise of next year isn't an unrealistic expedition for most anyone in their division.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying this for years now. The catch is we aren't talking blue blood status. We're talking about being good enough to be a sacrificial lamb to Ohio State in the CCG and the same to Georgia or Oregon in a NYD bowl. They play in a weak division so 9-3 with the promise of next year isn't an unrealistic expedition for most anyone in their division.
The B10 West winner has finished top 10 every year but one since its inception and 2 times in 5 years the division winner went 12-0 before losing a close B10 title game.

The perception the West is weak is really not based in much reality.

East vs West crossover is basically .500 since they split to East/West. Ranked teams is similar as well. OSU has lost more games vs the West than the East since 2015 despite playing far fewer games vs the West.

The B10 title game has been dominated by the East though which certainly plays a huge role in that perception

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, 2019 Minnesota is like 2015 Iowa, just not near as good.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They dont care

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the next 2 or 3 Minnesota. Fleck is the real deal but I don't know that he stays. 5 years from now either them if he stays or Nebraska or Wisconsin. If Frost is the guy then Nebraska, but the P5 landscape is littered with quality G5 coaches who couldn't make the transition.

I'm voting Wisconsin because they have been the most stable for the longest, at some point a blue blood is going to make Fleck an offer he can't refuse, and the jury is still out on Frost.

Due to COVID, I don't think there is a wrong answer amongst the 3 though. Budgets are going to be strained for a while which is going to give coaches more time before they get fired. This will give Frost more time to build his program if the next couple of years are lackluster and the boosters get antsy and could even the economic playing field if a USC or Texas has to pay a huge buyout and offer Fleck enough money to go on to a more prominent program.

I would watch him and Texas closely over the next two seasons. Herman is safe this season even if he has another 8-4 season, but in 2021 he isn't. They would need to have a big year and with a first year starter at QB, I don't know if Tom has it. Fleck would have to be on the shortlist for the UT job.
He has a track record for finding talent and knowing what he is looking for. And as much as I laugh about rowing the boat, it seems to work with his teams in each of his stops.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frost has atleast another 3 seasons to right Nebraska.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wisconsin has won 10 or more games 10 out of the last 15 years. As for Oregon, fuck them chumps. 1 point loss last year and the think that should propel them to Natty contender status. I hope we play them a lot. Good intersectional rivalry.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin has won 10 or more games 10 out of the last 15 years. As for Oregon, fuck them chumps. 1 point loss last year and the think that should propel them to Natty contender status. I hope we play them a lot. Good intersectional rivalry.

Why does Oregon always get paired with Wisconsin? Basketball and Football

volbound2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin... Wisconsin wins it most of the time. Might as well call it the Wisconsin Division. They are kind of like Florida in the SEC East.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 6 years since the Big Ten moved to the East and West Divisions, Wisconsin has won it 4 times, Iowa won it once and Northwestern won it once.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They dont care

The only reason I would give Nebraska a chance is because of how well they've recruited under Frost, especially 2019 and this year's class. I think by next year, they'll be competing for the division(2021). I still went with Wisconsin, because outside of OSU, they've been the best B1G program this century. Going against something that consistent, doesn't make much sense to me.

I agree with your premise about kids not caring about what happened in 70s, 80s and 90s, but with that said they are still recruiting better with Frost than any other B1GW program. Also, I don't think it can be understated how truly awful the Riley hire was.