• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Worst team names in sports?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the others, but I think Fighting Pickles is totally redundant. Ever met a pickle that WASN'T starting shit?

Where the F is the like button? ;)

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland Browns

I realize its named after the first owner but still just a horrbile name to me.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'll throw out a couple.

First, keep in mind the Washington Redskins are extremely offensive, were created by a racist, and belongs number one on this list.

Memphis Showboats from the USFL
Philadelphia Bell of the old 1970s World Football League - in modern sportscenter "bell of the ball" or "saved by bell" would be commonly used cliches.

Actual former NFL teams:
Louisville Breckenridges
Racina Legion
Tonawanda Kardex
Youngstown Patricians

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I could have named a number of teams with names of groups of people that just don't SOUND right for a team to me but I don't know the history behind all of them and I thought there was a chance I could offend some people who know the history and meanings behind alot of those names so I left them off.

One that was borderline but just doesn't sound good to me for a team - Patriots. There are alot of Patriots teams out there. I've never liked that one and alot of the logos are pretty bad, too.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could have named a number of teams with names of groups of people that just don't SOUND right for a team to me but I don't know the history behind all of them and I thought there was a chance I could offend some people who know the history and meanings behind alot of those names so I left them off.

One that was borderline but just doesn't sound good to me for a team - Patriots. There are alot of Patriots teams out there. I've never liked that one and alot of the logos are pretty bad, too.

Yeah, every single person, or I should say every single one that I've heard of, who has challenged the "Utes" name, either legally or in public argument of significance (meaning one covered by the media, obviously I can't monitor all arguments everywhere), aren't Native American. Those who I have heard speak on the name who were Utes or Navajo tribe members, all thought of it as a tribute. Now, I know that universities and the media has control over who they broadcast and some people just don't speak out, but I've only seen people who feel they are protecting this group of people because this group should be mad about it, when they're not. There are some Ute fans who are actually Ute. They're modern and into technology, not some group outside of society. The Utes have removed the tradition where they would have an actual Native American ride a horse and spear of fire into a haystack - not because that sounds funny, but because some group objected to it. The Ute who did the spearing was mad about the decision.

But I could see Redskins as being bad, especially if Native Americans take it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Anyone who's offended by the name of a sports team needs to get a life.

KingFlea

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been opposed to team names that are collectives instead of individuals. Example, the 49ers are a team of individuals; the Chicago Sky is a collective. Most WNBA teams are collective, and most of their names are simply ridiculous. Actually, nothing about that league ISN'T ridiculous.

Sorry for the tangent. I think the WNBA is silly, though.

I find it impossible to cheer for teams that have nicknames like Sky, Galaxy, Wild, XXXtreme,...etc, etc..

:llama::llama::llama:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it impossible to cheer for teams that have nicknames like Sky, Galaxy, Wild, XXXtreme,...etc, etc..

llama llama llama

You suck up with all your llamas.

Warty knows that I don't skimp on the llamas like you do.

:llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama:

(Had to remove yours in the quote to add mine.)
(And yeah, I know, llamaing up your post is not a suck up, it's simply common etiquette, especially when there's no need to suck up to Warty except for some free brews.)

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:llama::llama::llama::llama::llama:

(And yeah, I know, llamaing up your post is not a suck up, it's simply common etiquette, especially when there's no need to suck up to Warty except for some free brews.)

I love me some llamas.

Sick as a dog this week, so no beer. :pout: Beer and acitomenaphine are bad for you.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, what do you guys think of the Orlando Magic?

I can no longer form an opinion on the name b/c I've gotten used to it for the past 18 years.

KingFlea

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama:

I have a "Three Llama Limit" on all my replies to Warty.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cut the part of the URL after the = but not including the = and you put it between the youtube brackets.

re:

lol! I've never see that.

Word.

Could have sworn you originally posted that. It is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a "Three Llama Limit" on all my replies to Warty.

That's probably a good policy. I should try it, but then I'm afraid I'll never get back the few llamas I give out if I'm stingy. A little low on the confidence.