• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Vancouver People

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Making houses more affordable, you say?
My property tax is already a 5 digit number.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making houses more affordable, you say?
My property tax is already a 5 digit number.

Yeesh - Could be the main reason why we're seeing a bump in house prices on Vancouver Island, I think some people are being priced out of the market.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its great how BC Assessment is using July 1 2016 estimates ... before the 15 % tax on foreign ownership purchases came into effect which ... yes ... did decrease property values ... and these assessments are being used to calculate our 2017 property taxes :ohwell:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its great how BC Assessment is using July 1 2016 estimates ... before the 15 % tax on foreign ownership purchases came into effect which ... yes ... did decrease property values ... and these assessments are being used to calculate our 2017 property taxes :ohwell:

Hey now, at least it's friendly to the environment :D

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even by Lower Mainland standards, a 361 per cent increase in the assessed value of a house in one year is remarkable.

But such a staggering jump — and the tripling of property taxes that comes with it — wasn't grounds for a successful appeal of the North Vancouver property's 2016 assessment.

The homeowners argued the modest two-bedroom, 744 square-foot house, in their family since the 1980s, was reasonably valued at about $1.2-million.

But B.C. Assessment said recent changes to the district's Official Community Plan changed everything — and even though the 19,500 square-foot property hasn't been rezoned and redeveloped, it could be.

In a recent decision, the Property Assessment Appeal Board agreed, and the property's nearly $4.5-million valuation stands.

Homeowners appeal 361% increase in property assessment — and lose

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rezoning is a real game changer lol

two blocks from my parents on renfrew, the entire block of single detached homes is for sale under a land assembly by 1 realtor .. its probably 10 houses maybe ... whats funny is one of them WAS under construction AND had a laneway home being built behind it too ... its at the stage where they just put the sheathing on ... and they just stopped construction altogether ... it will be sold as part of the assembly and all that building material will be taken down (de-constructed & re-used hopefully)

Realtors rush to East Vancouver hoping to parcel land and make big bucks for all

Take, for example, a four-bedroom, 1950s house at 2085 East Broadway with an assessed value of about $900,000 and an asking price of $4.2 million.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been meaning to ask you guys, are there protected lands around the city and currently-built suburbs restricting further development? Is growth in the region almost entirely planned as medium-to-high density?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been meaning to ask you guys, are there protected lands around the city and currently-built suburbs restricting further development? Is growth in the region almost entirely planned as medium-to-high density?

I think theres view corridors in vancouver where you cant build new towers so i guess you could say thats a type of protected area :noidea: neighbourhoods are still zoned for single detached but more and more in van and burnaby, certain high traffic areas/corridors are going from single detached to multi use low rise (4 story) (like renfrew street i mentioned above post)

In burnaby, there are 4 "town centres" ... they started as malls 25 to 50 years ago ... mass transit/skytrain were built around them, they grew and city planners decided those were the areas to densify with towers and the mall owners have been more than happy in the past 5 years to redevelop and unlock the land value by building/proposing towers ... theres over 100 high rises proposed or currently being built in burnaby

Burnaby Boom: From Bedroom ‘Burb to Growing City | The Tyee

In the above story, they mention burnaby heights as a "funky pedestrian strip". Hastings is a busy arterial road that goes into downtown vancouver. In the heights, there are single story shops/bakeries/restaurants all along the strip. I should say WERE. They fail to mention in that story that whole blocks along Hastings are being turned into 4 story residential with retail at ground level. lol

In general, id say everything 2 story multi-residential that exists that was built in the 60's and 70's is being replaced by either 4 story res or towers

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
on west side:
-main streets are being assembled for low-rises. only main streets though, which limits the difference you can make to density
-any house of 20 years or more are getting torn down for new single home builds. occasionally 60+ foot lots get split in two smaller builds
-pretty much only some mansions in Shaughnessy are heritage protected, so they need to keep the facade while they gut the interior.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in terms of sprawl, it's pretty much stunted to the current suburbs that have already been built up?

Most of what you guys said is happening in the city and in a couple suburbs here because the provincial gov't protected a greenbelt around the region where no development can occur. Common belief is that's the biggest reason home prices have risen so much in the past few years - they simply can't build any more supply.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in terms of sprawl, it's pretty much stunted to the current suburbs that have already been built up?

Most of what you guys said is happening in the city and in a couple suburbs here because the provincial gov't protected a greenbelt around the region where no development can occur. Common belief is that's the biggest reason home prices have risen so much in the past few years - they simply can't build any more supply.

I was focusing my answer on your point of growth being based on a move to higher density. Thats happening in the established suburbs and vancouver proper. Then you have 10 acre parcels of land in south surrey being subdivided into smaller single detached and multires

Im not sure what you mean about protecting a greenbelt??? Stanley park? ALR?

Sure, you can say sprawl is limited because geographically speaking, land availability is compact. One could move further east if they wanted ... surrey/langley/maple ridge/Abottsford/chilliwack are all growing thanks to new housing supply (single detached and multi-res). Its not just supply side ... its demand

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was focusing my answer on your point of growth being based on a move to higher density. Thats happening in the established suburbs and vancouver proper. Then you have 10 acre parcels of land in south surrey being subdivided into smaller single detached and multires

Im not sure what you mean about protecting a greenbelt??? Stanley park? ALR?

Sure, you can say sprawl is limited because geographically speaking, land availability is compact. One could move further east if they wanted ... surrey/langley/maple ridge/Abottsford/chilliwack are all growing thanks to new housing supply (single detached and multi-res). Its not just supply side ... its demand
Yeah it was more about sprawl being limited and therefore house prices rising the way they are there because of the inability to produce more detached housing. Seems like that isn't the case though and it's more about the location than any lack of supply.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no snow overnight ... its was starting on my drive in

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snow day here on the island so my daughter has the snowboard out and is churning down this path that leads to the lake close to our house (lol)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a half hearted clap for this response until its known whether anyone was hurt

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, hopefully nobody got hurt otherwise NorthVanMike might catch some heat.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dave white might take the heat lol (and my apologies for posting it lol)