• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Update your antivrus

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you spent any time on news sites today, you might want to run a scan.

Seems some little Ukranian dickheads managed to get a well-known ad server to redirect requests to their server that was serving up malware. It's a well know strain, so any A/V should be updated for it and they can clean it pretty well.

New York Daily News, New York Times, Washington Post and News.Yahoo.com plus a TON of local news channels had ads on their site poisoned.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or is this EXACTLY what the Ukrainians are hoping you will do?

How do we know the update isn't going to allow the Ukraine to have total control of your computer?

This is a chart that shows you how the virus works:

500px-Risk_game_map_fixed.png

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do we know the update isn't going to allow the Ukraine to have total control of your computer?

I think the key here is isolating and conquering this virus in a less populated area like South America or Australia. Once we've done that we can set up defenses against any future virus attack and march through one of the larger continents with additional resources now that one area is under control.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dustin off those workboots and do some Good-ing...

Diseases-From-the-Red-Carpet.jpg

/Spacey just didn't work

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the key here is isolating and conquering this virus in a less populated area like South America or Australia. Once we've done that we can set up defenses against any future virus attack and march through one of the larger continents with additional resources now that one area is under control.

Agreed. Any type of defense against an attack like this is always going to have some...some...uhhh...shoot...what's that word that means "actions taken without knowing the outcome, which could result in danger or harm?

Oh right, chance. We'll be taking a chance.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misread the subject title and updated my antipasta instead.

My computer isn't any safer but man that was some good food.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Any type of defense against an attack like this is always going to have some...some...uhhh...shoot...what's that word that means "actions taken without knowing the outcome, which could result in danger or harm?

Oh right, chance. We'll be taking a chance.

Wait - are we talking about Monopoly now?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
And if you spent any time on news sites today, you might want to run a scan.

Seems some little Ukranian dickheads managed to get a well-known ad server to redirect requests to their server that was serving up malware. It's a well know strain, so any A/V should be updated for it and they can clean it pretty well.

New York Daily News, New York Times, Washington Post and News.Yahoo.com plus a TON of local news channels had ads on their site poisoned.

sorry for the computer 101 question, but:
do you need to actively have clicked an ad, or will the ad loading on a website be enough to put you in danger.
because I didn't click on any ads today, but what the heck - it's time for a scan anyway

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, you should post this on the WC. Those cats always post links to articles on Yahoo in their threads.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, you should post this on the WC. Those cats always post links to articles on Yahoo in their threads.

Good idea. 43 I'm going to hi-jack your thread and post it there.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry for the computer 101 question, but:
do you need to actively have clicked an ad, or will the ad loading on a website be enough to put you in danger.
because I didn't click on any ads today, but what the heck - it's time for a scan anyway

If the ad displays in your browser, that's enough to start the infection. It bundled a downloaded in the code of the ad, and after the ad displayed, the downloader called back out to push down the really bad stuff.

The malware they favor is called "Dark Leech". It does all kinds of nasty things like record your passwords and lock your files for ransom, and punch your momma in the face.

The good news is the dwnloader stays dormant for a while to avoid tipping the users off. so if you get a scan done quick, you'll probably be safe. If your scan turns up "darkleech", change the passwords used on that system.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Mac users?

Macs "don't get viruses" so they have insufficient defenses. Once you are owned on a Mac, you are completely owned and nothing will help.

The good news is darkleech is a windows exploit. So you're safe. From this.

boogeybooogeybooogey
hqdefault.jpg

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Has anyone else noticed this is just the map of the board game risk? I'm not imagining this right