• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Tokyo Olympics thread

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To many bullshit events like skateboarding and rock wall climbing. Its kinda become a joke

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To many bullshit events like skateboarding and rock wall climbing. Its kinda become a joke

I think narrowly defining athletic achievement is more a reflection of a narrow-minded observer than anything else.

Those rock climbers and skateboarders were displaying some incredible athleticism. Growing up I was a star athlete in multiple sports but I couldn't do 1/4 of what those athletes were doing on a board. I'm happy to see it be part of the games and they deserve recognition for what they have achieved and their dedication.

Beyond that, giving kids out there something to be engaged in, find a passion for, and dream of bigger things is something that doesn't need antiquated limits. Archery, swimming, painting, making comic books, skateboarding, or whatever it is can all have powerful impacts on kids, keep them out of trouble, and show them a path to success, health, and well-being in life.

These things are what the Olympics are about. Passion and dedication. Because the kid who sits around just tearing down others and being a wise ass takes no skill... and doesn't help anybody.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we should bring back tug of war

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This goes back to the phelps career medal count debate from last couple of olympics but i think they should really look at adding a 100m sprint to track and field but sprinting backwards :thumb: maybe a hopping 100m sprint too !

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
You havent had Elocomotive on ignore until this point? I thought we all learned that lesson long ago.
trying to make a joke about not seeing this post, because you are the one I blocked.
i can't get the damned wording right.

sigh.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You havent had Elocomotive on ignore until this point? I thought we all learned that lesson long ago.

Ignore me at your own peril, Comeds.

...Now are you home or not? I always get lost at the top of this staircase. ....Hello?

When you're not here I do a whole "Here's Johnny" thing, it's hilarious... you'd love it. Anyhow, back to the shed for me.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think narrowly defining athletic achievement is more a reflection of a narrow-minded observer than anything else.

Those rock climbers and skateboarders were displaying some incredible athleticism. Growing up I was a star athlete in multiple sports but I couldn't do 1/4 of what those athletes were doing on a board. I'm happy to see it be part of the games and they deserve recognition for what they have achieved and their dedication.

Beyond that, giving kids out there something to be engaged in, find a passion for, and dream of bigger things is something that doesn't need antiquated limits. Archery, swimming, painting, making comic books, skateboarding, or whatever it is can all have powerful impacts on kids, keep them out of trouble, and show them a path to success, health, and well-being in life.

These things are what the Olympics are about. Passion and dedication. Because the kid who sits around just tearing down others and being a wise ass takes no skill... and doesn't help anybody.
Fair enough

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sheee-it

I can't imagine how bad it must suck to spend all your free time reading comments from fat racist and sexist pieces of shit judging your whole life like they had even 1/10,000th the skill it would take to even start taking up the sport that you are at the top of the world in.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine how bad it must suck to spend all your free time reading comments from fat racist and sexist pieces of shit judging your whole life like they had even 1/10,000th the skill it would take to even start taking up the sport that you are at the top of the world in.
Even the news and its reporters can be bad, I cannot imagine time spent in the comments section.
We, or enough of us to fuck everything up, are gleefully marching into an age where we do not believe in science in regards to climate change and vaccinations, where we believe despite no evidence at all that a national election was rigged, that its OK to storm the capital resulting in the death of several officers because we believe the election was rigged, where people mock and tear apart athletes who stop when their bodies, minds, or spirits tell them they should, where people are actively trying to make it more difficult to vote for some people hoping to endure the majority never wins again, and we ignore or argue with our minority friends, family members, and co-workers when they explain that the America we experience may not be the same one they experience. In 40 years people are going to wonder what happened. We happened.
No wonder no matter how much sleep I get each night its hard for me to get out of bed each morning.