• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Things we find freaking neat but no place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dick Raper will see you now.

LErm6l3l.jpg

Wonder if he's an F1 fan?
1184418.jpg

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this is freaking neat! These are done by an artist named, Kevin Weir, in a series he calls, The Flux Machine.

tumblr_nbn53jQAa61rte5gyo3_500.gif

22msvpd.jpg

fa5azto.jpg

tumblr_mf17tbgiah1r0kdxho1_500.jpg

bruges.jpg

tumblr_nbng7achhi1r0kdxho1_500.jpg

tumblr_nbn53jqaa61rte5gyo1_500.jpg

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://rt.com/op-edge/184228-battle-arnhem-anniversary-commemoration/

http://triblive.com/news/washington/6744522-74/bickford-netherlands-strijen#axzz3DUYKpAWc

A bridge too far: the key role played by Dorset and Hampshire regiments in doomed Battle of Arnhem (From Bournemouth Echo)

Today is the 70th anniversary of Operation Market Garden of the Second World War. The Canadian 1st Army, and the American 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions played major roles in what became the largest failed Allied offensive of the war in Europe. :rip: :canada: :usa:

Last edited by a moderator:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add on with the above:

This story is probably one of the most heroic and largely unknown about the failed Market Garden operation. When the airborne drop began to fail, and the leaders at the top realized they needed to evacuate the living and wounded, the job fell on four companies of the Royal Canadian Army. The 553rd and 260th Field Companies, Royal Engineers, and the 20th and 23rd Field Companies, Royal Canadian Engineers. These companies led the charge to remove the destroyed remnants of the 1st British Airborne.

A Bridge Too Far: The Canadian Role in the Evacuation of the British 1 st Airborne Division from Arnhem-Oosterbeek, September 1944

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool stuff evolver

/just going sideways a bit but here is the wooden bridge of Bassano del grappa (home of grappa) at the foot of the Alps ... destroyed during ww2 ... rebuilt by Italian Alpini regiment post war

bass4.jpg

they never fixed the facade of the old buildings next to the bridge as a reminder of what took place there ... note the bullet holes

bassanobullets.jpg

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool stuff evolver

/just going sideways a bit but here is the wooden bridge of Bassano del grappa (home of grappa) at the foot of the Alps ... destroyed during ww2 ... rebuilt by Italian Alpini regiment post war

bass4.jpg

they never fixed the facade of the old buildings next to the bridge as a reminder of what took place there ... note the bullet holes

bassanobullets.jpg

Incredible stuff, Jstew. In my younger days I had the opportunity to travel to Germany and toured places like Berlin, Munich and Frankfurt. It was astonishing to me, much like the bullet holes in that pic you posted, about how much of the remnants of the war still remain by mostly leaving some of the damaged and destroyed buildings as monuments to the dead. In Berlin there is a church called the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Obviously, it is a memorial in a country that was a belligerent, but still.. having seen it with my own eyes, it left a significant mark on my memory.

My great-uncle died during the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium during WWII. I hope to one day travel over to Belgium and go to the cemetery where his name is included along with his comrades who died there. My grandmother speaks about her brother a lot to this day, and I always enjoy hearing her recollections about him. Those men and women all gave up so much so that we can enjoy the things we do, today. I always try to remember their sacrifices.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bubble soccer folks, get involved! I cannot recommend it enough if it's in your area.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incredible stuff, Jstew. In my younger days I had the opportunity to travel to Germany and toured places like Berlin, Munich and Frankfurt. It was astonishing to me, much like the bullet holes in that pic you posted, about how much of the remnants of the war still remain by mostly leaving some of the damaged and destroyed buildings as monuments to the dead. In Berlin there is a church called the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Obviously, it is a memorial in a country that was a belligerent, but still.. having seen it with my own eyes, it left a significant mark on my memory.

My great-uncle died during the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium during WWII. I hope to one day travel over to Belgium and go to the cemetery where his name is included along with his comrades who died there. My grandmother speaks about her brother a lot to this day, and I always enjoy hearing her recollections about him. Those men and women all gave up so much so that we can enjoy the things we do, today. I always try to remember their sacrifices.

theres an unreal WW1 war monument close to the Italian town i mentioned in my last post called Cima Grappa on top of Mount Grappa. The Giro D'Italia raced a mountain stage there this year and i pvr'ed it because I thought my dad (born there in 1934) would love to see the amazing sweeping panoramic visuals as we have only ever seen it at ground level. It brought him to tears :(

3722.jpg

Here it is in the winter, buried in snow, as captured by a drone (irony?) ... probably the same conditions all those men fought and died in ... you pray they saw that beautiful sun ... inscription on the monument for the dead says "Mount Grappa ... you are my home"

Status
Not open for further replies.