• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT:The pretend like Doug Wilson will make a trade thread

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NHL.com saying if hawks keep Kane on LTIR til the end of the season, 6.3 mil comes off there cap and they will have plenty of room to pick up someone since once in the playoffs the cap shuts off and they can active Kane without a hit...

Things just got interesting here with possibly moving 1 of our 2 slugs...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two years left on each. This is the 1st year of their new three year contracts.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well Chi can take on the cap of one of them then dump them for peanuts after the playoffs so it wouldnt be a total waste of a high end rental

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Saw the piece on the Sharks regarding Kessel. Not sure how I feel about 8m/per forever, but then again, he's 27, a 30-40 goal scorer, and might be a great fit in SJ for now and will likely be effective for at least another 5 years. He would be the kind of guy that I could see dougie landing, though I think they should still be targeting defense.

The big question is price. Given the salary and reputation, I wonder how much he would cost. He might be gotten on the cheap. I know dougie doesnt want to move the young kids, but Hertl may be available. He has taken a monster step back as has nieto. And, to land a name like kessel, it would take likely Hertl and Nieto, and maybe Mueller too. I cannot imagine dougie giving up so much of the youth, but but then again, missing the PO's would likely cost him his job, so he has gotta have a win now mentality given that he cant/wont move the big two, must make the PO's to keep his job most likely, and wants to win while the big two are still here.

This would sure be a big move and the sharks do have the cap space. intriguing. Risky, but intriguing.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hertl is the very last of the young guys that should be available.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well Chi can take on the cap of one of them then dump them for peanuts after the playoffs so it wouldnt be a total waste of a high end rental

That would be a very risky move by Chicago given they could have to agree to waive their nmc again.

I really don't see either of those two moving until the offseason.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And waiting to the offseason is exactly why doug should be fired right now and let someone with a brain work aroiund the deadline...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And waiting to the offseason is exactly why doug should be fired right now and let someone with a brain work aroiund the deadline...

It's not that Wilson wouldn't be willing to move them at the deadline. It's that neither will waive their nmc during the season.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Besides they will have much higher value in the offseason when teams are more willing to part with the kind of players Wilson is looking to aquire.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D. Wilson won't do a Damn thing to help this team. He has already given up on this year.

He is the captain of his sinking ship :yield:

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im sure theyd wave the NMC to goto a team predicted to win the cup

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And you always get more value at the deadline than the offseason... teams always throw away 1strd picks and top prospects for rentals --- we did it for years...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And you always get more value at the deadline than the offseason... teams always throw away 1strd picks and top prospects for rentals --- we did it for years...

A late first isn't good value for players like Marleau and Thornton with term left on their contracts. You get the best value for rentals at the deadline. Players with term on their contracts get the best value at the draft and during the offseason.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be a good time to unload Marleau.
His numbers suggest he's not happy here or at the very least, he's not trying very hard.
He's getting toward the end of his career and every NHL player's dream is to win the Stanley Cup so given the right offer, I bet he'd waive his NTC to go to a playoff contender. He might actually try harder too.

I'd be happy just to unload his bloated contract at this point. We could pay any number of mediocre players a lot less money to put up similar numbers.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
^^^^ thus the reason I want sharp so bad... 2 years younger, 1/2 the contract $$$ and have only like 15pts less than Marleau in the passed 5 seasons...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah agreed, i dont think Rules knows that hertls knee still isnt 100%

I figured this was the case given the epic fall in his performance. However, I worry that with knees, sometimes you never really get back to 100%, and those injuries recur time and again. Hertl is clearly a great talent, but his strength is also in playing a physical game along with scoring. if he doesnt have the physical game, his scoring will drop too. I don't particularly want kessel, nor do I think it's a particularly good move. I was just saying that Dougie might do it out of desperation given:

1. His big two have refused to move. The fan base might also not forgive it.
2. The big two are aging, so dougie really needs to ride them into the ground if he cant move them
3. If they miss the PO's, dougie himself could be booted and any economist (like me) will tell you that incentives matter, and if a GM is looking at being fired if they dont make the PO's, they will do all they can to make the PO's without obviously mortgaging the franchise's future.
4. Hertl's knee may not be 100% ever, so its a risk to keep him as well if his value falls.
5. Kessel fits in the 27 or younger category who dougie can sell as a big name player who can help for many years (fundamentally different from a rental player or a 30+ year old).
6. It might actually be a good deal to get them in the PO's, and to add firepower that was lost given the regression of hertl and nieto and the departure of boyle making burns a Dman.
7. They are raising season ticket prices and have lots and lots of cap space moving forward to fit kessel in, so the leafs may be open to a deal with a relatively low price.

Not saying its a good deal. just saying that it is the kind of splash that Dougie is wont to make, and with the team teetering, this is the kind of move that he could justify to the fan base as "we are still going for it".

Personally, Id rather cut the loses and ditch the big two+nemo for a pile of picks, prospects, and young NHLers a mile high. Watching Jumbo, he'd still land a kings ransom (no pun intended), and likely patty too even with his slump. I just dont see it since the fan base still loves them, the TV still loves to talk about every HOFer that jumbo passes, and patty having 17 years with one franchise, blah blah blah.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marleau recently sold his home in Saratoga so that's encouraging news.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marleau recently sold his home in Saratoga so that's encouraging news.

Because he bought a bigger house for the new baby.

Rules, do you want to see the Sharks become exactly like the Maple Leafs are now because that is precisely what you are suggesting.

Nieto and Hertl are having down years because they are sophomores in their 1st full year at the NHL level. Hertl was also still recovering from his knee problems for much of the season.

You don't trade players just to trade them unless they are causing problems in the locker room. The Sharks are not going to garner some huge return for Thornton or Marleau. If they are moved at the deadline they won't get much more than a late 1st and a B level prospect. If they move in the offseason where Wilson will have more options they will probably be able to get multiple picks plus a bluechip prospect or young roster player.