• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Ludwick

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line, if the guy hits line drives, nobody is going to care if he can't work a crossword puzzle......

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That AJ Green was not so bright either with his wonderlic score, and he turned out okay. Just sayin'. Not saying Ludwick will be an all-star, but in our park, with a decent offense around him, he could be pretty good..maybe not stellar, but pretty good.

.260 / 25 / 80 ??

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That AJ Green was not so bright either with his wonderlic score, and he turned out okay. Just sayin'. Not saying Ludwick will be an all-star, but in our park, with a decent offense around him, he could be pretty good..maybe not stellar, but pretty good.

.260 / 25 / 80 ??

That's kind of been my point. While he was in STL in 2010 he was hitting .280, and had decent stats. Of course, he wasn't one of the two main guys in that lineup and had a lot of help.

Traded to S.D. he was the guy behind AG for that year, I believe, and then last year he was THE guy. Add in PETCO park, and then traded to the Pirates in the 2nd half when they remembered they were the Pirates and suck...

In this lineup, with Phillips, Votto, and Bruce, I think he's going to fit right in. Add in the GASP's dimentions, and I think he's going to be 'ok'.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lol.

most of the "evil bastards" of the world we're not actually trying to mess things up, they were actually trying to fix (or improve) things... that's the tragedy of the human condition.

it is ridiculous... but it's still true. maybe I have some of the details wrong, but it's essentially true. There are children that are more intelligent, rounded and mature than some adults, and there are adults that really should have never been granted a diploma, but the school system couldn't afford to keep them. There are animals that are better at solving some problems now than some humans. Just because one has the ability of rational thought, or intelligence, doesn't mean they will always arrive at correct conclusions. There is comfort in being somewhat resolved. One doesn't stay awake all night, one concentrates on other things. our prejudices and assumptions, although very crude and often inaccurate, allow us to short circuit our brains in order to function.

in summary, some people, when they have a disagreement with others, use their own short circuiting to claim others are "idiots,stupid, ignorant" simply for disagreeing with them. you see this all the time, on the internet, and in day to day life. People can often be intelligent, wrong, but tragically stubborn all at the same time.

That first statement is a nice twist to the actual truth. Take Hitler for example. By all accounts he was an intelligent individual. But neither his actions nor his "ideals" were the product of "rationalized" beliefs. His beliefs were simply the product of hatred. It did not take even a modicum of intelligence to hold those beliefs. Furthermore, his "following" was simply a product of obedience, not because people actually believed his "rationalizations" - which again the basic assumption you made is they were rationalized by his intelligence. We see it everyday in the world. Whether an individual thinks another is right or wrong, they will obey a person with that kind of power like sheep.

I won't disagree with anything you said in the second paragraph, but that is not evidence of your earlier statements: "The thing about intelligent people is, they have to be intelligent enough to rationalize their erroneous opinions.......It takes more intelligence to believe something absolutely absurd than it takes to look at things for their face value."

In fact, if you're going to say people's beliefs, etc. are molded by personal experiences then the contrary is true, it takes real intelligence to account for those biases and come to a rational conlusion, not the other way around. Which is also why you have - as you said - children that are smarter than adults because their thoughts have not be (as) polluted by their experiences, etc.

As for some people using their own "short circuiting" to claims others are stupid or what not. Agreed. But others, as I stated in my original post, just call stupid for stupid. They have the ability to see 1) another's inability to be rational due to not having the desire to look up the facts and/or understand the facts or 2) another's agenda in pushing thier "rationalizations" (e.g. as above: Hitler) or following those "rationalizations" (sheep).

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember the exact year, but back in 07 or 08 the guy hit almost .300 with 35+homers and 100+ RBI.....If he did it once, maybe he could do it again at our little bandbox......

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, hatred is worth considering. good point. Hatred opens the mind to irrational thought (similar to prejudice). For example, Hitler wasn't stupid, but he didn't have to rationalize his position to anyone, he was in charge of the media as well. I still say it takes some intelligence with which to build the allegorical house of straw, although, preferably, someone with intelligence should actually use it to build a house of brick. A wise man who determines what the right thing is and does the right thing, and a man who is good at taking tests and solving puzzles, are not always the same. Otherwise, everyone with an I.Q. over 140 (or so) would come to the same conclusions about nearly all things.