• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT, Help me out with some PC problems my friends

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My PC has been running really slow. I have Norton Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware and today I bought the program you see on TV Speedupmypc. It cost like 50 bucks for the top of the line system. I installed it and it still is running really slow.

My sister gave me her old laptop when I was in S Carolina that needs a new hard drive because it has errors on it. The computer is fine though. I think I better get this fixed incase mine crashes.

I have tried everything with this fucking PC of mine and it seems like there is a virus or something that these programs are not finding or fixing. I know my E-mail was hacked a month or so ago but it was slow even before then.

I have done a disk clean, defrag and cleaned out this history and such. Any Idea's?

I am not a computer geek by no means so go easy on me.

Thanks

Steve

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whenever that happens to me, I load up all of my files on a USB and do a System Tools > System Restore. Makes everything factory fresh, but you have to install your non-Windows programs again, so you need to have all your disks handy.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've given up trying to remove viruses and stuff.. i would suggest trying to backup anything you need and then just restoring your computer to factory settings.. like its new out of the box

then again i get super frustrated with viruses so i throw in the towel and just restore computers.. i dont have anything super useful saved on any of the computers i've done that to so its pretty easy for me

edit: aka what quoi said,

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then again i get super frustrated with viruses so i throw in the towel and just restore computers.. i dont have anything super useful saved on any of the computers i've done that to so its pretty easy for me

Exactly. It's just not worth the mental stress of virus searching sometimes.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I will go that route. Thanks guy's as you seem to know it can get very frustrating!! It seems crazy to keep buying these fix all programs that don't seem to work.

Thanks.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buy a Mac.

/sorry. I don't have any real advice. Good luck though.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say slow - all the time or just on the web?

Download, install & run this:
CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

How much RAM is installed?
-Go to control panel
-click system
-it's there

How full is the C drive?
-go to my computer
-right click on C drive
-click on properties
report back:
-capacity
-free space
-used

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I will go that route. Thanks guy's as you seem to know it can get very frustrating!! It seems crazy to keep buying these fix all programs that don't seem to work.

Thanks.

absolutely.. my sister burns through computers and fucks them all up (including macs Honus!).. i got worn out trying to fix our computer at home in hs, now i just say fuck it, and restore everything haha

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely.. my sister burns through computers and fucks them all up (including macs Honus!).. i got worn out trying to fix our computer at home in hs, now i just say fuck it, and restore everything haha

That's where external hard drives are really great - if it want to keep anything, save it there and a system restore is a piece of cake.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where external hard drives are really great - if it want to keep anything, save it there and a system restore is a piece of cake.

ya they really do.. unfortunately i think i lost a cable for mine.. but fortunately i finished school and anything of use is on my desktop at work.. and actually its not even on my desktop, its on the networks at work haha

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
this is useful stuff. i have a back-up to my back-up laptop that is basically used for downloading stuff.
well, i finally seem to have caught something on that machine. Figured this would be a good candidate for system restore.

however, when I click on 'system restore', or on any program, for that matter, the window opens to ask what application i would like to open that file. None of the applications are applicable, of course, as restore is an .exe file on its own.

suggestions?

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is useful stuff. i have a back-up to my back-up laptop that is basically used for downloading stuff.
well, i finally seem to have caught something on that machine. Figured this would be a good candidate for system restore.

however, when I click on 'system restore', or on any program, for that matter, the window opens to ask what application i would like to open that file. None of the applications are applicable, of course, as restore is an .exe file on its own.

suggestions?

Is everything you want backed up - backed up?
Do you have the Windows CD to reload with? (skip the restore and reinstall) Dell and some other machines have a partition defined so pressing the correct function key will get it started.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

suggestions?

Sounds like a virus or some crap. If it can't be cleaned, reinstall will be your friend and it might be faster.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

suggestions?
reboot in safe mode (hit F8 after the bios screen) and see if you can run system restore from there.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got rid of Norton a few years ago as it was using up too much RAM or CPU. I think you need a really high end computer to run Norton (lots of RAM, fast CPU). I suggest disabling Norton and see if that possibly helps.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got rid of Norton a few years ago as it was using up too much RAM or CPU. I think you need a really high end computer to run Norton (lots of RAM, fast CPU). I suggest disabling Norton and see if that possibly helps.

I agree with this, I ditched Norton in favour of Kaspersky Anti-Virus and I'm much happier with the results...

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Microsoft Security Essentials is all I need...completely transparent, effective, and FREE.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
thanks folks. figured out a cheat to get past the .exe issue.
running hitman pro next, and if I'm not confident it's clean, then will system restore after that.

old, old computer, nothing valuable on it.
have no idea where the disks have ended up.