• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Biggest storm to hit Cali in 5 years

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are forecasting a monster.

70 mph winds in some areas, (high for west coast), 7 inches of rain in some areas overnight?

For the love of god, people slow down out there. NO need to go 90 mph into a wall in this rain.

Slow down, the life you save might be mine.

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, this is a good, not great, idea to shutdown some k-8 schools in the North Pole. Traffic will be bad, teachers might make to school in time, same to parents when they drop off and pick up their kids. For high school's kids, let them walk and enjoy the rain.

List: Bay Area schools closed Thursday for storm - San Jose Mercury News

Here is a partial list of school districts that have announced they will close Thursday because of a storm expected to slam the Bay Area and other parts of California with heavy rain and high winds on Thursday. Check with the school district for the latest information on closing cancellations and when schools will reopen.

-- Alameda County Office of Education Schools (Welcome to ACOE | Alameda County Office of Education)

-- Alameda School District (Alameda Unified School District: Home Page)

-- Albany Unified School District (Albany Unified School District)

-- Berkeley Unified School District (Welcome to Berkeley Unified School District)

-- Castro Valley Unified School District (Welcome to CVUSD ? Castro Valley Unified)

-- Eden Area Occupational Program (Eden Area Regional Occupational Program)

-- Hayward Unified School District (Hayward Unified School District: Home Page)

-- Mountain House Elementary (Welcome to Mountain House Elementary School | Mountain House Elementary School District)

-- New Haven Unified School District (New Haven Unified School District | Equity, Stability, and Quality)

-- Novato Unified School District -- Thursday and Friday (Novato Unified School District)

-- Oakland Unified School District (Oakland Unified School District / Overview)

Advertisement

-- San Francisco Unified School District (http://www.sfusd.edu/)

-- San Leandro Unified (San Leandro Unified School District / Homepage)

-- San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District (Santa Cruz County) (SLVUSD Home page)

-- San Rafael (San Rafael City Schools: Home Page)

-- West Contra Costa Unified (West Contra Costa Unified School District / Overview)

-- Sausalito (Sausalito Marin City School District - About Us)

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, this is a good, not great, idea to shutdown some k-8 schools in the North Pole. Traffic will be bad, teachers might make to school in time, same to parents when they drop off and pick up their kids. For high school's kids, let them walk and enjoy the rain.

List: Bay Area schools closed Thursday for storm - San Jose Mercury News

Here is a partial list of school districts that have announced they will close Thursday because of a storm expected to slam the Bay Area and other parts of California with heavy rain and high winds on Thursday. Check with the school district for the latest information on closing cancellations and when schools will reopen.

-- Alameda County Office of Education Schools (Welcome to ACOE | Alameda County Office of Education)

-- Alameda School District (Alameda Unified School District: Home Page)

-- Albany Unified School District (Albany Unified School District)

-- Berkeley Unified School District (Welcome to Berkeley Unified School District)

-- Castro Valley Unified School District (Welcome to CVUSD ? Castro Valley Unified)

-- Eden Area Occupational Program (Eden Area Regional Occupational Program)

-- Hayward Unified School District (Hayward Unified School District: Home Page)

-- Mountain House Elementary (Welcome to Mountain House Elementary School | Mountain House Elementary School District)

-- New Haven Unified School District (New Haven Unified School District | Equity, Stability, and Quality)

-- Novato Unified School District -- Thursday and Friday (Novato Unified School District)

-- Oakland Unified School District (Oakland Unified School District / Overview)

Advertisement

-- San Francisco Unified School District (http://www.sfusd.edu/)

-- San Leandro Unified (San Leandro Unified School District / Homepage)

-- San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District (Santa Cruz County) (SLVUSD Home page)

-- San Rafael (San Rafael City Schools: Home Page)

-- West Contra Costa Unified (West Contra Costa Unified School District / Overview)

-- Sausalito (Sausalito Marin City School District - About Us)

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice list. Tomorrow is a good good day to stay home, if I didn't have to work for a living, I know there's no way in a hell I would drive in that weather. East Coast Kids have snow days, its about Time they had rain days for West Coast babies.

Too bad I don't work for a place that lets me telecommute. I hate Bay Area Traffic so much.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the second huge rain that Cali has gotten in the last week or so, right? And weren't many parts of Cali in a bad drought for a very long time? I hope you all stay safe and that the rain helps with the water levels there. I guess 7 inches would have to help. There's no "doy" emoticon here.

I've now been up for 24 straight hours. Had to get up at 4:00 am yesterday to get to the hospital which is an hour away. Couldn't get to sleep around midnight, so I got up and watched the Warrior game. More on that thread.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the second huge rain that Cali has gotten in the last week or so, right? And weren't many parts of Cali in a bad drought for a very long time? I hope you all stay safe and that the rain helps with the water levels there. I guess 7 inches would have to help. There's no "doy" emoticon here.

I've now been up for 24 straight hours. Had to get up at 4:00 am yesterday to get to the hospital which is an hour away. Couldn't get to sleep around midnight, so I got up and watched the Warrior game. More on that thread.

Yeah, People on the East Coast laugh, when they think about a small "storm" like this, but folks here in California are used to earthquakes, we aren't used to rain, wind, thunder, flooding.

Driving over the Bay Bridge this am, I felt like my car was going to flip over, rain was coming in sideways and seemingly from the ground up. At one point, I thought I was going to take off into the atmosphere like Mcfly.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm generally a fast driver, or more so I get from point A to point B pretty quickly. But, when driving in a big rain, I go as slow as I have to so that I am very comfortable that I am safe. I totaled a bmw of mine (older one) about 10 years ago in a downpour. I was switching lanes too quickly and my car spun multiple times and ended up with my rear nestling upon a long rail. I was stuck while completely perpendicular to the road while cars were whizzing by, many having suddenly jump into the right lane to miss me. I was making a 911 call when a man stopped after the railing and came to the car telling me that I needed to get out of the car. He was either someone who had to change lanes to miss me or he saw cars that barely missed me. I went to his car and waited for the police, an ambulance (which I neither needed or asked for) and a wrecker. This incident left a strong impression on how NOT to drive in the rain. It was my first bmw.

I made a huge mistake and turned the car in for the total amount I was due since I had full coverage. What I should have done was to keep the car and get 90% of that amount. All that I needed done was to have a body guy pull the metal away from the tires and it was perfectly drivable. No damage was done to any other parts of the car. Lesson learned the hard way. I have a 2002 5 series now, black just like this one was. I just love how those cars drive, but they break down too often.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Global warming, climate change. It really is that simple.

Drought? Climate change
Hot? Global warming
Flood? North Korea has a weather machine

How about... Weather is cyclical? Some of the worst hurricanes on record were in the early 1900's. 100 years later, a few more bad ones. NOPE it's CLIMATE CHANGE.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Global warming, climate change. It really is that simple.

Drought? Climate change
Hot? Global warming
Flood? North Korea has a weather machine

How about... Weather is cyclical? Some of the worst hurricanes on record were in the early 1900's. 100 years later, a few more bad ones. NOPE it's CLIMATE CHANGE.

And you bring this up why? :scratch:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the area of where there has been a bad drought, will now have a major storm and get some rain. Crazy, extreme weather. It happens

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the area of where there has been a bad drought, will now have a major storm and get some rain. Crazy, extreme weather. It happens

Did anyone here say otherwise?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No not on here I believe. I just get fed up with labeling every event in the weather and I guess I expect it.

Sorry! Carry on.. ;)

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm generally a fast driver, or more so I get from point A to point B pretty quickly. But, when driving in a big rain, I go as slow as I have to so that I am very comfortable that I am safe. I totaled a bmw of mine (older one) about 10 years ago in a downpour. I was switching lanes too quickly and my car spun multiple times and ended up with my rear nestling upon a long rail. I was stuck while completely perpendicular to the road while cars were whizzing by, many having suddenly jump into the right lane to miss me. I was making a 911 call when a man stopped after the railing and came to the car telling me that I needed to get out of the car. He was either someone who had to change lanes to miss me or he saw cars that barely missed me. I went to his car and waited for the police, an ambulance (which I neither needed or asked for) and a wrecker. This incident left a strong impression on how NOT to drive in the rain. It was my first bmw.

I made a huge mistake and turned the car in for the total amount I was due since I had full coverage. What I should have done was to keep the car and get 90% of that amount. All that I needed done was to have a body guy pull the metal away from the tires and it was perfectly drivable. No damage was done to any other parts of the car. Lesson learned the hard way. I have a 2002 5 series now, black just like this one was. I just love how those cars drive, but they break down too often.

Any accident that you can walk away from is a lucky accident, glad you survived, you can replace cars, not people. That being said, I can't afford BMW, maintenance on those things scare me.

I'll drive a boring econo box Ford Focus/Honda Civic/or Corolla any day of the week before get into a BMW, different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Currently drive a 2013 Scion TC, ultimate poser car, not fast, but reliable and gets me from point A to point B safely.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yes for the record, the storm was real and dumped water everywhere.

Exhibit A

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! How did you make out in it? No work today, huh?